Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

2008 Jayco 23b rear bed door replacement cost

So got my trailer out of storage and not only did mice get in but water seeped in through the rear bunk so now the bunk wood is extremely soft/rotten. It feels so soft that I doubt it'll take any weight on it at all!

Has anyone had their door replaced and able to tell me what it cost? I know lots of people had them done under warranty but haven't seen any post with pricing.

Or is this something that can be done at home with some replacement marine plywood or something?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Really bummed by this... kids are pumped about their first camping trip of the season in 2 weeks and now I don't know if we'll even be able to go!

Thanks
Fivepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #2

My buddy did a replacement on at Flagstaff Shamrock hybrid. His front bunk was bad, so he made his own. He used the original as a template and, if I recall correctly, regular plywood with all the original hardware. He then used plastic wall board on top of the plywood. He caulked it up, it worked well and it didn't look bad.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #3

so out of curiousity, how did you store your TT? outside? near woods? uncovered? last thing we need are mice in our 23b so hopefully we can understand your situation. did you use anything to keep mice/ants out when you winterized? always looking to learn from others. thanks.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

I stored it in an open farmers field, covered with my Atco cover.
I've had the trailer for 4 years and never had any mice enter before this year.
I make sure to give it a thorough clean, make sure there isn't any food anywhere. Then I put bounce sheets all over, between cushions, drawers and cupboards, etc etc.

There are 2 things I didn't do this year, mostly because I was rushed that day... Firstly I didn't remove all the dishes from the cupboards... Everything was clean but usually I put them in a few totes. Secondly I didn't put any steel wool around the bottom entrance of the slide out, the entrance for the electrical cord, etc. So I'm not sure that's where they came in through, or if it was scent of the dishes that attracted them.

Either was lesson learned. We were lucky they didn't chew anything up like the sofa or dinette pillows. That would've been an additional nightmare.

Bummed out enough about the damaged bunk!
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #5

From some of the posts I've read it seems like the bunk bed is made up of layers including luon, aluminum, more luon, etc. If I could just replace with plywood we're in business! I don't mind if the exterior of the bunk doesn't have the Jayco logo/design. I'd like to keep the trailer for another 5 or so years so I'm not very concerned about resale value or anything. I'm more concerned with not breaking the bank and the kids safety back there.