Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #41

Back on 4-Aug-2013 I made a suggestion to pursue this through Trailer Life Action Line. That seems to be a very good resource for these types of issue. However it seems that suggestion was blown off by the OP since there was not even a comment on it. Instead there is more frustration being vented here, now with Norco and of course Jayco. OP has seen everyone from God, Jesus and Moses (as some in these parts would say), travelled to the factory and spent goodness knows how much money, yet still there is no resolution.

OP - do you really think you will get a resolution here? I am sure those of us who are [still] interested in your issue want to see an end to this saga .... hopefully a positive one that you can live with, although from what you have been saying I believe that ship has long sailed.

To those who are considering an X17Z or any other Jayco hybrid - please do not be put off by this issue. I am positive that should you get a Jayco you will be very pleased with the product and won't have these issues. My 17Z is now with its second home and I still miss it. I have taken consolation in the fact that the new owners are so nice, and drove 16 hours on the strength of the pictures on my sale website. When they got here they remarked that it was way better than the website depicted. They pulled it back home to NC with no issues and are looking forward to camping next month and have promised us pictures.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #42

@wmoses It's funny how you are taking offense to me simply reporting what has been happening with my situation. I assure you I am not making any of this up or exaggerating what has happened or how reps from Jayco, Norco or Dexter have been acting. When I say the rep from Norco was a jerk, trust me even the Jayco guys were getting annoyed with his actions and comments. As for the Trailer Life Action Line, I have looked into that avenue that you suggested, but before I go that route I have been giving Jayco every chance to make this right. The next and last hoop I just thought will be putting the radial tires on the trailer and watching those wear out after 2000 miles. When that happens then we will have hit the wall and it will be time to replace the trailer or something along those lines. What you don't seem to understand is there is a process and you have to follow that process. I said this before and I will restate it now, I REALIZE THIS IS A UNIQUE PROBLEM. But if you read this entire thread, it looks as if a second person is chiming in with a similar problem.
snappypics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #43

Snappy - I am not taking offense at you reporting on this issue, and yes I know that there is a process - I am an engineer and an auditor, so I know about processes. I was not born yesterday, after all. I am also not saying that you are making anything up, lest you start putting words in my mouth.

As for the radial tires - come on. Rubber is rubber and if your frame is toast what difference would a radial tire make? I understand if you want to follow through with that just to be able to show whomever that you did everything that was suggested, no matter how absurd.

I think most here would agree that you have given the dealership and Jayco many opportunities to sort this out. Just go to Action Line and be done with it already. Let us know how it ends up. Finally.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
Old 09-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #44

UPDATE

Well, it's been a month and still no tires from Jayco. I fired off another email today so we will see where that gets me. More updates to come as they become available.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #45

UPDATE

it has been a while since I updated so here goes. Jayco finally sent me the radial tires for the X17Z, but the weight rating is only 1610 per tire so I lose what little load capacity I had. Here is the math, the last time it was at Jayco, they weighed the trailer and the total was 3280 pounds empty (including at tongue weight of 520 pounds, a little over the advertised 345 pounds). Take the 3500 pound max weight minus the 3280 trailer weight and you 220 pounds I can put into the trailer before it is over weight. Then minus another 80 pounds because the load capacity on the tires is less and I am down to 140 pounds I can put into a new 2013 X17Z before going over the weight rating of the tires.

Today, I took the camper to an independent trailer facility that does sales, service rebuilds and even custom manufacturing to have everything measured so we can figure out whey I am burning through tires about every 2000-2500 miles. The first thing the guy said is that I shouldn't put the radial tires on that Jayco sent to me because that is moving backwards and not forwards by losing weight capacity. He said he would start with upgrading to 14in wheels and radial tires so I can at least keep my current max weight of 3500 pounds. He further recommended putting a 5500 pound axle under the trailer because in his opinion that is what it should have to start with. He pointed out that Jayco basically forces you to run your trailer down the road at maximum capacity and that is not good. When the trailer, axle and tires are all at maximum capacity, you are always going to have problems.

His upgrades made sense, but I don't think I should be paying for a heavier axle and new wheels and tires on a brand new trailer that is still under warranty. More to come next week when they prepare the complete report on the trailer.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I believe someone may be overlooking the fact that the trailer axle(s)/tires don't support the tongue weight, for the most part the TV does.

For example: Lets assume the X17Z's loaded weight is 3,500lbs (it's GVWR), and the loaded tongue weight is 520lbs. The load on the axle/tires is (3,500lbs - 520lbs) = 2,980lbs ....., thus the trailer tires at 1,610lbs ea. x 2 = 3,220lbs would be adequate (although a higher load range is always nice).

When a WDH is utilized, some additional weight will be distributed back to the trailer axle(s), but in most cases this is a minor amount..., but can approach the tire load range on some trailer OEM tires. A CAT scale can confirm actual weight deltas.

Many RV manufactures size the load range on their OEM tires "tight", based on the fact that the tongue weight (10% to 15% of trailer weight) is supported by the TV.

Please note: I'm not suggesting that since the tongue weight is supported by the TV that one should consider loading the same trailer resulting in exceeding the published GVWR.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #47

FINAL UPDATE

Jayco is refusing to do anything with the trailer. In a phone conversation yesterday they said they don't know why the tires are wearing out every 2000 miles and they are not going to put any effort into figuring it out. I gave them all of the data from the independent inspection and their answer was, they were not there to see how things were done so they are not going to recognize the information. From the moment Jayco got involved in this situation they have done everything to point to the finger at me, my weight distribution hitch and my tow vehicle. As we addressed each one of those situations and resolved that they were not factors in the problem, Jayco never looked at the trailer as the problem.

What I have learned from all of this is very disappointing. For almost 6 months I have been dealing with a serious issue on a trailer I have owned for less than a year and the manufacturer WILL NOT stand behind their product and even attempt to identify and resolve the problem. This is the 4th RV trailer I have owned and the LAST Jayco product that I will ever spend my money on. My efforts will now be spent getting it out of my driveway and taking the financial hit.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #48

I've been following this post from the beginning and appreciate the updates. Although we are relatively happy with our Jayco product, it's easy to see why you are so angry. Frustration and demoralization are not nice, especially over a long period of time. Sorry to lose you from the Jayco family, but if I were in your shoes, I'd do exactly the same thing. There are other good products out there and I hope this doesn't discourage you from the whole camping experience.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #49

2013 X17Z axle problems!!!!!!

Snappypics - I am sorry to read that you have had such a nightmare experience. I wish you luck and hopefully this can be resolved under The Lemon Law.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
Snappypics - I am sorry to read that you have had such a nightmare experience. I wish you luck and hopefully this can be resolved under The Lemon Law.
That is "IF" your state recognizes RV's in their lemon law. Indiana does not, for example
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappypics View Post
What I have learned from all of this is very disappointing. For almost 6 months I have been dealing with a serious issue on a trailer I have owned for less than a year and the manufacturer WILL NOT stand behind their product and even attempt to identify and resolve the problem. This is the 4th RV trailer I have owned and the LAST Jayco product that I will ever spend my money on. My efforts will now be spent getting it out of my driveway and taking the financial hit.
So no contacting Action Line, then?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #52

As another engineer I have watched this thread. I don't have enough information to make a single suggestion. I do have an observation or so. Jayco used an oversized TV for a test pull of your unit, but you may have missed the logic behind this choice. In testing you attempt to limit variables so as to focus your test as much as possible. There are many variables in towing, it's a system made up of variables, the TV, the hitch, the setup of each and a trailer. Also, a single axle trailer is a simple machine in that if the axle is not bent and you pull it from the center it follows the pulling forces. It's like a hand truck, you grab it in the center of the handle and walk and it follows you. The actual shape of the frame would make no difference as long as the simple things I mentioned are there and within spec. You could build a frame of almost any random shape and given a straight axle, two good wheels and the pulling forces close to center and it will follow you down the road. So given this, is it possible that when they told you they have no idea what's wrong, they actually have no idea? Is it possible that issues with the trailer have been eliminated as the cause of your problems? I am just asking because I have been there, I have made this same type mistake of logic many times. I do hope you find a good resolution to all this.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #53

@wmoses, I did contact the RV Action Line, they are backed up and it would be months before they could begin an investigation. So, to end the frustration it's time to just move on and cut my loses.

@flyingpenguin, I live in Indiana and the Lemon Law does not extent to RV's, probably because this is the heart of RV manufacturing. If the Lemon Law did extent to RV's I would have easily qualified as the unit went into the dealer 3 times, the manufacturer 2 times and an independent inspection. All together is was in for service for more than 6 weeks.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #54

2013 X17Z axle problems!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. May your next trailer be problem-free! Good luck to you!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #55

FINAL CONVERSATION WITH JAYCO

I talked with Jan, Mr. Bontrager's (CEO) assistant, and they are basically saying that there is a problem with my trailer, but they can't figure it out and are not going to spend any more time or resources on the situation. As disappointing as that is to hear, I have to give Jan credit, she is the ONLY person that always called me back and took care of things when she said she would.

The independent inspection came up with a laundry list of problems that Jayco is NOT recognizing because they were not present for the inspection. Seems to defeat the purpose of an independent inspection if you ask me. And for WMOSES, the RV Action Line is sending Jayco a letter, but here is there process, the first letter is sent, if there is no answer for 30 days, then they send a second letter. If there is no answer after that then the situation is closed and considered resolved even if it is not. So, basically the manufacturers just have to ignore the RV Action Line and the problem will go away. Not a lot of help there.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #56

Give it a chance. It is all you have right now for options short of taking them to court. Were it me I'd have done it a long time ago, even if I'd have the worst possible outcome you described - which incidentally is not yet the case. At least I'd have had the answer sooner.