Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

2013 X17Z axle problems!!!!!!

I bought my 2013 X17Z in January and have taken it on three trips. After the second trip I noticed some very unusual tire wear on the inside of both of the tires. I took it into the dealer to have it looked at and they determined that it was a bad Dexter Axle. They ordered a new axle and put it on, but I would have to wait for new tires until Dexter could determine if it was a manufacturing issue or a "transportation" issue.

On our third trip (first one with the new axle) we got about 100 miles when we had to stop to fill up. I inspected the tires and they were so hot, I could barely keep my hands on them. I thought maybe a brake was dragging from the swap, but both of the drums were cool to the touch. It had to be road friction causing the heat. I notified the dealer immediately and dropped the trailer off after the trip.

After examining the situation, they determined the second axle had the same problems as the first one. They contacted Dexter who's initial response was, they had already replaced the axle and they weren't going to do it again. Glad there is a 2 year warranty on Jayco products.

The dealer decided to swap my axle and tires from a new 2013 he had sitting on the lot to get me down the road since we had been dealing with this issue for a month. When they went to remove the axle from the new 2013 model, they noticed it was different from the axle on my 2013 X17Z. It looks like somewhere during the production of the 2013 models, Dexter reengineer the axle, and Jayco modified the frames to accept the new axles.

So, it's 4th of July weekend and the dealer was nice enough to give me a free rental for the weekend so I didn't have to scrap my trip to Put-In-Bay that has been scheduled for a year. Bad news is that my X17Z is still sitting at the dealer on jack stands with no axle underneath it and nobody really knows where to go from here.

I would advise any owners of Jay Feather hybrids to immediately check your tires for excessive wear on the insides. My personal opinion is Dexter might have had some issues with their axles and that is why they modified the design in the middle of the production of the 2013 models.

More details to come as they become available.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
snappypics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

Are you absolutely sure your tires are properly inflated AND that you have not overloaded the TT?
I have had the same problem and found that I was doing both of the above.

Put-In-Bay brings back wonderful memories. I have been there many times. The sailing regattas and wine festivals may take 10 years off my life. But it was worth every minute.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #3

Wear on the first set of tires would not be due to underinflation, but could be due to axle problem or overload leading to an axle problem. Heat on the second set could be due to underinflation. Knock on wood but my wear is fine and axles have no issues.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #4

The dealer and their service department has been involved with this situation from the beginning. I assure you they trailer is not overloaded (unless graham crackers and marsh mellows weigh more than I think), and the tires are properly inflated. I am a stickler about checking tires before any trip.

If you pay attention to my thread you will see Dexter changed their axle design in the middle of the 2013 production run, causing Jayco to have to modify their frames to accept the new axle. These things don't happen if everything is OK. It costs money to retool in the middle of production.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Jayco and they are wanting to get involved with the dealer to track down the problem.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

Put-In-Bay! We was just there for Pyrate Fest with our X17Z which was our third trip. We won't be using it again until September when will be back at Put-In-Bay for a week. I better check my tires and see how they are wearing. Interesting thread to watch here..

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

UPDATE: the frame manufacturer sent out a tech to do some measurements. It's off by 3/8 of an inch. But another measurement by the tech showed that the front part of the frame is bowed out, meaning the frame rails that run front to back are not parallel. He said the frame needs to be replaced. Jayco wants the dealer to install the 2nd new axle (3rd, including the original) in the morning to see if that cures the problem. I am sure it won't or the 2nd axle would have fixed it.

I think we might be getting into buy back territory here.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappypics View Post
UPDATE: the frame manufacturer sent out a tech to do some measurements. It's off by 3/8 of an inch. But another measurement by the tech showed that the front part of the frame is bowed out, meaning the frame rails that run front to back are not parallel. He said the frame needs to be replaced. Jayco wants the dealer to install the 2nd new axle (3rd, including the original) in the morning to see if that cures the problem. I am sure it won't or the 2nd axle would have fixed it.

I think we might be getting into buy back territory here.
I really hope all works out for you..

My daughter and son-in-law had purchased a new TT last year and they also had axle problems, (among many other problems), and it has been in for repair for 3 months. They just got it back last week. They are demanding the manufacturer adds another year to their warranty. This is not a Jayco trailer, btw!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #8

UPDATE - 3rd axle is now in the camper and it was delivered to my house yesterday. The next trip is up to the Muskegon River later this month. Hopefully the trailer finally tows like it is supposed to. Since the day I bought it, it tows like it weights a lot more than 3,000 lbs and I feel like I am fighting it all the time on the highway. Let's just say I am looking forward to everything going smoothly.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #9

Keeping everybody in the loop, here is the latest.

Took the camper on a local trip this weekend and it swayed bad on the highway and the (brand new) tires are still very hot when I get to the destination. This tells me the 3rd axle is not the problem and replacing the axles is not helping at all. So I contacted the dealer and Jayco is picking up the trailer on Monday and taking back to the factory to try to figure out the problem and resolve it. I believe the problem lies in the frame not being square. So if that is the case, the only two acceptable resolutions for me are for Jayco to buy it back or replace it. I didn't buy a refurbished trailer, I bought a new one. If they have to replace the frame, that means taking apart then entire trailer and rebuilding it. I don't think so.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #10

I sure hope you get a resolution to your satisfaction....

Keep us posted!
Gerard
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #11

Sounds like you have a good dealer and Jayco is being very helpful. To bad it is summer and you want to use it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #12

I also hope that there is an acceptable resolution soon.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
Old 07-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #13

UPDATE

Jayco picked up the trailer on Monday to take it back to the factory to try to resolve the issues. I believe the frame is not square and the only resolution is to replace it.

A new problem arose with the installation of the 3rd axle. The first trip (with the 3rd axle) was a short one and the entry door popped open on the drive to the campground. I wrote it off as I must not have closed it properly. On the second trip (with the 3rd axle) the door opened twice while on the highway. The only resolution was to deadbolt the door. I think the 3rd axle was built to compensate with the frame issues and that is now leading to new problems.

I honestly think Jayco is going to have to buy this trailer back, because the issues will eventually be too expensive to justify.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #14

It definately will be interesting to see what Jaycos' response will be.

Keep us updated.......
Gerard
Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #15

Funny, I have the issue with the door popping open too. Don't seem to be any other issues though. At least I hope not! Several thousand miles on the TT so far...

Good luck with your axle issue!
Former owner - 2013 Jayco X20E
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #16

UPDATE

Ok, so yesterday Brian Smith with Jayco called me and said they have only been able to do limited testing, but so far my tire temps are slightly above normal. Today Brian called me back and said they have completed their tests and they can't find any problems. But despite my continued requests to have the frame measured to make sure it is square, they have not done that. He also noted that the tires look like they are in great condition. That is when I informed him that is because they are brand new and the 3rd set installed on the trailer since it was purchased brand new in January.

Now I have put in two calls and a message into Dwayne Jordan (manager at Jayco) and he hasn't called me back. He goes home for the weekend in 30 minutes, so it will be interesting to see if he calls me before he leaves for the weekend.

I have also talked to the dealer where I purchased the unit and they said they would NOT take it in on a trade because of the issues with the trailer. Needless to say I am finally PISSED OFF! I think it's time to call in a lawyer!! Did I mention I have a copy of an email from the tech the frame manufacturer sent to check out the trailer when the dealer was trying to resolve the problems. That email states that my frame is NOT square and is off by 5/8 of an inch and that the frame rails are not parallel. They actually bow out from the axle mounting point to the tongue, on both sides.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #17

I think your right - Lawyer time. Maybe you'll get lucky and one phone call from the Lawyer and maybe they'll do the right thing.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #18

You Don't need a Lawyer

You don’t need a lawyer. This may be a Lemon Law issue. There is a process that you must go through, including a number of repair attempts and some other hoops to jump through. Although every state has different Lemon Law requirements, it all boils down to this.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that provides protection to buyers for goods that come with a written warranty. This law applies to any product you buy that does not perform as it should, including travel trailers.

This law insures that repairs are performed in a “Reasonable Period of Time.” If a product is covered by a written warranty, and any part of the product (or the product itself) is defective and cannot be fixed after a “Reasonable Opportunity,” the warrantor must permit the buyer either a refund or replacement or provide the buyer with monetary damages as compensation for the warrantor's failure to perform.

I repeat this. You don’t need a lawyer. You need patience. Start by looking up the Lemon Laws in your state.

Then, decide what you want. Do you want a new trailer? Do you want your money back? Do you want this specific trailer repaired?

Now is when you need patience. Depending you state law, you have to wait for 30 days or 3 unsuccessful repair attempts or whatever.

Document, document, document. Who you spoke to. When. What repairs were done. What problems did you have. Write it down NOW. Don’t depend on your memory, WRITE IT DOWN.

Make no threats to the dealer or Jayco. Let them try to repair it. Your dealer gave you a loaner, that shows good faith.

Then after you are sure that you have qualified for the Lemon Law in your state, file a complaint as stipulated in your state.

Jayco, not the dealer, will be notified and has a certain number of days to get in touch with you.

I predict that Jayco will settle without going to the Lemon Law hearing. They know what they can fight and what they cannot win. They want to have their percentage of Lemons as low as possible, so they will be willing to keep this under the tracking radar, if you know what I mean.

They will probably try to negotiate, but once all the criteria for Lemon Law is met, the ball is in your court.

Remember, it is a process. You have to play the game and let them try. Patience. Kindness, and Cooperation are the keys to a successful relationship.
ski2moro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #19

Snappypics -- there is a feature column in Trailer Life Magazine called "RV Action Line". I suggest you contact them and ask them to intervene on your behalf before contacting any lawyer. In most all the cases printed, the manufacturer came around to giving some, often full, restitution to the RVer. All Action Line needs is to be assured by enough documentary evidence that you have done due diligence yourself in trying to get the issue resolved, and from the many posts you have made here, it appears that you may be in good stead.

If that fails then you should consider pursuing legal advice. It would appear that your issue may be an isolated case, and as can be seen from the responses in this thread, you can expect little real support here as we are not in your shoes.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #20

wmoses..... I'm not sure full restitution would mean a brand new trailer, although I think that is what snappics should get. He paid good money and didn't know he was buying a defective trailer.

ski2moro.... Some states do not have a Lemon Law when it comes to RV's. The state of Indiana does not have one , for example...... go figure.....
Gerard