Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #21

Hi, Thanks for your info I will check this info out. We added everything that we could
on the 2016 x23b. DJ got us very good price. $ 19,400 this included Colorado taxes
and every option possible. We are very excited and look forward to picking it up the
last week of Sept. It has so much room. We have done our home work and feel that
the x23b is just right for my wife and I and our two girl bichon frise's dogs. We presently have a 2013 19' 5th wheel Scamp deluxe that we are trying to sell. DJ told
us about wdh and anti sway. I ordered a second battery also. Do you have a rv cover? DJ told us adco covers.
You could call us any time in Cedaredge Co
970-856-3346
WE have many ?

Thanks
Ron and Jane
Cedaredge, Co
Jon-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #22

I did not buy the cover, but never considered or researched either. It was never in my mind, I guess mostly because our Coleman popup manual said not to. However, I believe that was mainly due to the wooden underside...whereas the X23B has a composite underside so moisture/rotting will not be an issue. We went in with the intention to get the 19H, but after seeing all the room in the 23B we were sold and am SO HAPPY with it! The floor room (5' between couch and kitchen cabinet), the double sink and added counter space are huge. My stereo didn't come with bluetooth, so I bought a small 110v powered bluetooth adapter that plugs up above the tv so maybe something to consider if you stream music or radio. The only thing I want to change right now is that the awning light and the outside light behind the steps are on the same switch. I'd like to separate that. It's mildly annoying that they put those on the same switch.

Upgraded from REI Half Dome, The North Face Trailhead 8, Coleman Mesa popup.
cgmoses74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #23

I, too, was challenged by the concept of towing capacity; tongue weight; cat scales;etc when a newbie (an entire and exciting year ago). Thankfully, I participated in this forum while there was still time to cancel my original order with Jayco.

Thanks to Rustic Eagle; Camper Bob and others that I cannot recall at this moment, I learned what I needed to know in order to tow safely.

I downgraded our order from a 23B to 20e because there was no way that we would have met the weight requirements otherwise. We separately weighed everything we were taking and you would be stunned at some of the weights.

We are presently towing with a 2013 Acura MDX but are upgrading our TV in two months. In the meantime, we watch our axle weight; tongue weight; and keep the dog on a diet. We tow a dry trailer and load up on what we need when we are at or close to our destination. As for hills and being fully loaded: Stay away from cruise control; slow down on hills and down shift your transmission. If you are popping in and out of lower gears, you are going to be seeing a new or rebuilt tranny in your future.

This towing thing was so much more complex than we had imagined, and for a short time we wondered whether the pain was worth it, but once we learned how to park the darned thing - it has been smooth sailing.

Search the forums for Tongue Weight; Towing Capacity; and WDH and you will learn a lot. You can always respond and talk to other owners - even on dated threads. Also, there is an excellent Sticky on the forum that discusses Weighing your TT and TV.

The 23B is a great TT - just be careful and learn the ropes and then enjoy a safe and fun experience.

Safe travel -
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #24

X23b or x213?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoses74 View Post
I pull a 2015 X23B with my V6, 290hp, 2011 Explorer (5,000lb max tow) with tow package and with a weight distribution hitch. It pulls very well, but when you're in hills it does not maintain cruise speed. Meaning say I have it set at 65, it'll lose speed, downshift, get back to 65 and go through that cycle over and over. I'd imagine a V8 may not do that. On flat(ish) ground it does a great job. I wouldn't even consider taking it across country though or into any mountain areas. I live in Michigan and also bought from Gillette in East Lansing. Granted it'll be mainly flat from Lansing until Colorado. Either way that's a long pull.
I'm thinking about either the x23b or the x213 with a 2014 3.5L v6 explorer. Have you ever loaded right up to the Max trailer and tongue weight for yours? Both trailers don't leave much room for any additional weight unfortunately.
XwingFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwingFighter View Post
I'm thinking about either the x23b or the x213 with a 2014 3.5L v6 explorer. Have you ever loaded right up to the Max trailer and tongue weight for yours? Both trailers don't leave much room for any additional weight unfortunately.
I have knowingly towed very close to my max capacities on 2 different rigs. It worked, it was safe, but there are limitations. So long as you keep trips short and on relatively flat terrain you'll be fine. Long distance trips are not realistic and don't even think about towing through mountains.

That said many people that do what you are considering end up buying a bigger tow vehicle a year or so later. A crew cab 1/2 ton PU would be perfect for what you are looking at.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwingFighter View Post
That is right at the limit of your towing capacity and only if you have the HD tow package. The X23B has a GVWR of 4,995lb, 5 pounds under the max for your explorer.

Another thing you should look at is frontal area. The biggest hindrance to towing a travel trailer is the fact you are dragging a giant parachute behind you. The Explorer is rated for 40 square feet of frontal area according to the Ford tow rating page.
A nominal TT width is 8 feet -- if you follow this rating by Ford, that would leave only 5 feet of vertical height -- a high walled pop-up.

We tow our X23B with the 2014 RAM 1500 with the 3.5L Pentastar V6, max tow rating of 7200 pounds. The truck handles the trailer well even in the mountains, but that is probably close to the max I would want to tow with this truck and feel comfortable. My wife and I follow the 75% rule -- .75 x 7200 = 5400 max. That leaves you some room for the vehicle loading, people, etc, and still have comfortable margin.