Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

23b Bed Size

I have what may be a dumb question about the bed mattresses on my 2001 23b. I did a search without finding any answer, but my searching skill is sometimes suspect. Sorry if this has been covered already.

Our 23b has a rather thin long pad which sets on the shelf in front of the tip out bed area. Our mattresses don't extend over that shelf area. In my experience a TT bed can never be too big.

My question is why didn't Jayco just make the folding added mattress section a bit larger rather than have a separate thin cushion? That way the shelf area would increase the bed size. I know that there is a lip of metal at the hinge. The mattress could be relieved in that area to lie flat or just align another folding section to the lip. I'm certain that most people sleep with their feet toward the tent end so your pillow would mask any lump.

Perhaps the newer model mattresses are different? I know they now have an RV queen size bed at each end. Our 2001 has a queen and a double.

Am I missing something?

vic
Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
I have what may be a dumb question about the bed mattresses on my 2001 23b.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Am I missing something?

vic
Boy do I feel like a dummy!! Thanks for being kind and not replying.

I think that the Camp Backyard thing is a really great idea, but we don't have the opportunity to do it.

When we got our trailer it was pretty much a mess. The mattresses were out in the living area and everything else was all over. We were able to drop down the beds to completely remove the canvas for a good cleaning by moving the trailer out. Then the trailer needed to go back into place so we never did install the mattresses. I didn't know that the thin pad was to raise the shelf level up for the mattress to fold out onto it.

Anyway, because we have actually set up the camper and slept in it, now we know that the shelf is indeed used to extend the bed size.

We just slept 6 adults and 2 children (all family members you wouldn't do that to friends) using the trailer as a bunkhouse at a cottage. The temperatures were mild, 40F - 65F and everyone claimed they were comfortable. We have a geat family, so maybe they were just being kind with the replies.

My wife and I were very comfortable for sure sleeping in the smaller back end pop out bed. She has slept in a large Coleman pop-up with huge beds for extended vacations, but never in a smaller bed like the 2001 23b back one. She likes the little bit of privacy it provides and doesn't find the smaller size a problem. That is a good thing.

Anyway, sorry for the stupid post. At least it gives people something to click on during slow times on the forum. vic