Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
jaw

23b with 5 dogs, best storage ideas

We have a 23b and love it. We are in the 60-77 age group. When I retired we looked at motor homes and campers and chose this model because it is easy to pull, roomy when it is opened up, flexibility (when traveling we sleep on the dinette and do not open the bunk unless we plan to stay at least two nights).

Call us crazy but we have taken 2800 mile trips with our five dogs (Cihuahua, Pom, part Coker Spanial, part Schnauzer and Newfoundland/Malmute mix). It is too expensive to use sitters or kennel the dogs and we would worry too much because some of our dogs are old and have health issues.

I would like to share the most beneficial ideas we have found:
1) Portable dog fence: We ordered the 8 panel wire type. 1set 24" tall to go across the front of the trailer on each side of the entry steps. 2 sets 48" tall. This makes a 8' × 16' pen. I attached the pen to the camper using strong automotive suction cups bought at Harbor Freight and small bungee cords. These fences have a narrow gate built in, however I bought a larger gate and attached to a support with bungees. I made the supports using pvc pipe for vertcals and the pads are brick layer square metal with the handle in the middle (don't know what they are called). Works good for well behaved dogs.
2. Use collapsible storage cubes for clothes and other items in the closet.
3. Added clothes hooks on wall across from closet by rear bunk. Use this for hanging clothes. Hang a hanging shoe bag for shoes and other items.
4. In the bathroom have over the door storage bag with many pockets. Great for shampoo, first aid items, hair brush, personal items, etc. Keep small items in zip loc bags. Behind toilet I added hanging baby items storage bag found at Walmart baby department. Store toilet tissue, wash cloths and hand towels. Add hanging storage at sink for toothbrush and paste.
5. Sam's club sells bus bins. I use one of these in top shelf of under counter storage left of stove. Great for organizing my cookware. Storage cabinet above sink I added a rack to better organize my dishes. Add hooks behind stove for spatula, big spoons, etc.. use magnetic spice tins and attach to the vent a hood. Some of these can be used for spare fuses and other small items or spices.
6. Add hanging storage pockets next to entry door on side of cabinet. Store flashlight, batteries, remotes, odds and ends. Cup hooks can be used to hang it. On the side of the dinette bench add another set of pockets for pet supplies (poop bags, leashes, etc). Attach this with velcro. This bag can easily be removed to carry in your vehicle when traveling.
7. Two inexpensive storage ottoman cubes are used to store soft drinks and small throws.
8. Under the divan front I use two 30" window planters to store odds and ends. Behind the divan I store one folding metal chair that comes in handy.
9. I have a small Igloo brand ice machine. I sit this on top of a small folding foot stool in front of refrigerator. Refrigerator opens easily and we always have ice.
10. Use two single Kamp-Rite self inflating mattress pads on queen size end bunks. Sleeps great! When sleeping on the road we use two Coleman 25" w. 2 1/2 thick self inflating bed pads that fit on the dinette bed. We have reenforced the dinette sleeping area to better accommodate adult weight.

These are some of the things that have helped us most on our long trips. When the warranty ends we plan to rebuild the dinette for better storage as shown in other threads. We will also add better storage for toilet drain tubes and other items.
jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #2

My hats off to you Sir taking care of your best friends the best way possible. Looks like you have it all figured out and I'm sure it took a while. Now all of us can share your wisdom and pass it on to others.
Thank You, Tunce

PS: I live for my dog too.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

Your pack of hounds must think they're "livin' the life", and it sounds like they are.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

Jaw - We really LOVE to see photos! Sounds like you did some good mods for you and the dogs to be comfortable! We only travel with 1 dog so far...a moorkie (half maltese and half yorkie). I've debated on taking my daughters cat, but haven't got to that point yet. She's pretty much self sufficient while we are gone. We've never been gone for more than 10 days and we just have the neighbor check on her while we are gone...do the litter and make sure food and water are good.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

My hats off to you camping with 5 dogs. We just got our second (haven't camped with him yet) and I thought we had our hands full.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, and I must admit, I may have to "borrow" a couple of them
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #6

If the hound can't go then I don't need to go.

Does sound like a full house thou.

Happy travels

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #7

Cheers to you and your family! We would love to see photos of your pups and mods too. We're a couple in the same age range as you and we've a small trailer with not much storage, so I'm always looking for ideas to steal. Our not too spoiled German shepherd rescue goes every where that the RV goes (and most places we go).
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

My only problem is that our 135 pound Newfoundland always gets to the motorhome couch first. Sigh, perhaps someday I'll get to try it out.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Jaw - We really LOVE to see photos! Sounds like you did some good mods for you and the dogs to be comfortable! We only travel with 1 dog so far...a moorkie (half maltese and half yorkie). I've debated on taking my daughters cat, but haven't got to that point yet. She's pretty much self sufficient while we are gone. We've never been gone for more than 10 days and we just have the neighbor check on her while we are gone...do the litter and make sure food and water are good.
I second this! If you have pictures, I'd love to see. Good work!
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #10

Pictures would be cool. But holy smokes.....5 dogs while camping!
You are certainly a brave one. Lol
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
J I've debated on taking my daughters cat, but haven't got to that point yet.
Here's proof that they do in fact go camping but it's pretty rare I think. We ran into this little guy at Willard Bay State Park just north of Ogden, UT. Interesting little coincidence - they were headed south to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, UT which is where we had just come from. They had reservations for the same RV site that we had just vacated. Someday we'll have a dog again, but probably not while the current batch of 7 cats has anything to say about it.
Attached Thumbnails
20150921_183708.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #12

Any issues at campgrounds with that many animals ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #13
jaw

I do my homework. On the internet you can search pet friendly campgrounds for the area you want to go to. I call ahead to make sure there is not a problem.
jaw is offline   Reply With Quote