Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #1

23F or 23B??

We are looking to upgrade our trailer after we upgrade our TV. We are currently towing a X17Z with a CX9 (with tow package). We like both, but we are getting tired of worrying about weight and our transmission dropping out. Soooo tired of not being able to purchase "fun" stuff because we have to worry about how much everything weighs.

We are looking at purchasing a Suburban 1500 and want to upgrade to either a 23f or 23b. (4 kids and a dog)

Now question for all those 23 owners? What made you decide on the model?

Pros and Cons of each?

I see that the 23B has so much more counter space and wardrobes, but you are down a bed. BUT you have that huge dinette. Is that a pain in the a$$ to climb over to get in or out of bed? Down a bed means if we have company we have to start putting down tables/couches. With 4 kids, 3 beds would be ideal..but realistically, the older kids won't want to come camping as much in the next year or two.

I am lost, I see pros and cons with both, but I'm not sure with the number of kids I have (16, 13, 3 and 1 years of age) which model would be more suitable?

HELP!
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

I'm biased toward the 23B. We opted for the u-shaped dinette so we could eat or play games together. It's not a big deal to crawl out of...just got to make sure you don't step on someone and I use one of those collapsible plastic step stools to go from the bench to the floor...kind of a big step when you're half awake. Counter space and the huge wardrobe were big selling points for us.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #3

We have the 23f. Love having 3 beds. We have a boy and girl so wanted separate beds without having to make a bed up for one of them every night. Plus having separate beds, it's like a separate room and they can keep their stuff in their space. They have the two beds in the back. Our bed is the one up front, no matter which one you decide to get you have to climb up. How often would you have guests and would you have to climb over them?

I love to cook, but in any camper you'll limited counter space. We got a stove cover and I put a large cutting board over the sink to make additional space. We do most cooking outside but I still like to have the prep space.

Storage is tight but with the kids having their own "room" they store stuff there. Or if the 2 older kids didn't go and the 2 younger ones share you have that whole bed to use as storage.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

We also looked at both models when we were looking. For us it came down to what we needed on a majority of our trips. We went with the 23B because we only have family stay with us in the camper once or twice a year, so the 3rd bed was not worth giving up the extra space. My daughter is 4 and she sleeps on the folded down dinette. The u-shaped dinette was a big selling point for us, we slide in in and out/position it to serve for meals/reading/laptop/games/etc. As mcfarmall said, the bench is not that big of a deal to step on/over to get in the bed. Cargo capacity is a big difference, the 23F is about double if I can remember correctly, that may be something to consider.
Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

Thanks guys for your responses.

Now what really puzzles me is why would you only be allowed 980ish pounds of cargo on the 23B and 1800ish on the 23F? That doesn't make sense to me.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #6

I just noticed they added a 23U for the 2015 line up. I looked at that floor plan, doesn't work for me. You can only sleep 5-6 but has a huge slide out. Sofa/dinette combo.

Question, is the slide out much smaller on the 23B vs. the 23F? I want the most floor space as I can get since I have wee ones.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #7

Take a look at the White Hawk 23 MBH. It has a very comfortable Murphy bed and 2 bunks. Also the dinette is U shaped and makes into a bed. The Murphey bed allows you to regain 5 feet of space during the daytime by folding it up into the wall...

Weve been living full time in ours dor a month now. Love it.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post

Now what really puzzles me is why would you only be allowed 980ish pounds of cargo on the 23B and 1800ish on the 23F? That doesn't make sense to me.
I haven't looked into this, but my guess would be heavier-rated axles and tires on the 23F.

In any case, we have a 23b because we got a good deal on a used unit, and it's gross weight is within the limit that we're comfortable towing with our tow vehicle. Our next camper may be the 23F or some other 3-bed hybrid once the kids are grown...
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #9

We went with the 23B because we really only need 2 beds but I also didn't like the waste of space created by the 3rd side bed. The wife preferred the U dinette.

All that being said, it's hard to knock having a 3rd bed if you need it.
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

We love our 23B. We have 3 kids and a dog and it all works out...we don't even sleep in the dinnette. We have 2 in each bed and one on the couch...dog sleeps with whomever he wants. The storage that the 23F 3rd bed takes away, is not worth it to me. We like the extra storage. But we only have 3 kids, not 4. Good luck
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #11

In the 23b, it's my wife and I , and the baby on the back bunk, and our other 3 young kids on the front bunk. This past weekend, it was rainy and a bit chilly for the tent, so grandma and grandpa were able to sleep on the dinette. All this while Uncle slept on the sofabed. Usually it's just us and the kids, but the versatility to put 9 in the camper is awesome. And there's floor space for a cot if you REALLY need it.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #12

Also, take a look at the 23J. I dont think they make the model anymore but there are some used ones out there including one we just bought a few months ago.

The 23J has a similar floorplan to the 23B except the dinette is to the side instead of in front of the bed. It also sits lower too I believe.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

I'm going to take a look at both layouts in person this weekend. I really think I'm leaning towards the 23b. I need more "entertainment" space if we get 2 days of rain instead of 3 beds. Kitchen counter space is a huge thing for me too. I love the fact that you can remove the dinette table and just have a huge couch and the ushape dinette to hang out and watch TV or whatever. 3rd bed is awesome..but if I can managed in our current x17z with 2 beds...the 23b will be a cake walk.

I had to buy a Eureka Northern Breeze shelter for outside to give us more "entertainment" space aka another room. Works, even in the rain because of the side walls.

NOW to buy a 2015 or 14. Few cosmetic changes for 2015 which I like. More black trim which I think looks great and a new pattern (stone) which is a more of a grey look (modern). Right now I have brick which I like, not a fan of busy patterns at all.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #14

When we were in the market back in March, I spoke to Jayco about the differences between 14 & 15 for the 23B. You are correct, only differences were cosmetic, AC shroud, hot water tank side cover, and awning support arms went to black. At that time the price between ordering a 15 or finding a 14 at another dealer was only a couple hundred bucks for us, so we went with the 15. The 15s are on lots now, so you may find a good deal on a new 14 at this point in time.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #15

Which one works best for you is very personal. It is a good plan to go to the dealer. Ditch the salesperson once they open them both opened up. Sit in it for about a half an hour. Dig through them. Think about where you can put all your stuff, how you will use it, and where you will use it. For us the 23B is a great fit with one kid and one dog. We have more than enough room. We have had I think up to 6 kids in the back bunk on rainy days. They are all happy playing. Four siblings may not play so nicely together.

We actually turn the dinette table 90 degrees and have it across part of the dinette area and the J-sofa. For us it works nicely. It also makes getting in and out of front bunk easier.

As for sleeping, the J-sofa is a little smaller than you would expect. I think the two older children would not want to sleep there together. But the two youngest sleeping together would have no issues.

I have also wondered about the differences in load carrying capacity. I suspect they are using the same frame, but maybe not. If I recall correctly the load rating on the tires on our 23B are near their (I looked last fall).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #16

We just bought a 2014 23f. We love it. It's too big for us now (our girls are only 6 & 5), but it gives us room to grow when they get bigger and want to bring friends. It has a ton more storage than our old pop up. So far it is working out perfect for us!!!
bhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #17

In looking at both models, one of the first things my DW picked up on was the X23B seemed to have more storage than the 23F. And you know how women are, gotta be able to have som place to put their clothes!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote