Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

30 amp fuse blowing

I have a new 2014 X19H and the 30 amp fuse at the battery area has blown twice already. Any guesses as to why?

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Need a little more information...

When do you notice that the fuse has blown?

After using electric jack (if you have one)?
Is the battery holding a charge?
Possibility that the battery is hooked up wrong?
Something that is shorting (a fan....)
Connecting to shore power?

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #3

Although you don't mention it, I am assuming you have an electric tongue jack. I keep a supply of 30A fuses with me. If you over extend the tongue jack, it will blow the fuse every time. Because my TV has 20 inch wheels and is a 4X4, it sits very high. I use 6 boards (3 2X6 and 3 2X8) to support the tongue jack and set the foot at the highest setting.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #4

Fuse blowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Need a little more information...

When do you notice that the fuse has blown?

After using electric jack (if you have one)?
Is the battery holding a charge?
Possibility that the battery is hooked up wrong?
Something that is shorting (a fan....)
Connecting to shore power?

Don
Seems to blow when using the electric jack (see the other comment on this).
Battery appears to be holding a charge.
The battery is hooked up from the factory.
How would I find something that is shorting it out?
I have connected to shore power on all of my outings (about 30 days at three locations).

Old 10-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redenbacher View Post
Although you don't mention it, I am assuming you have an electric tongue jack. I keep a supply of 30A fuses with me. If you over extend the tongue jack, it will blow the fuse every time. Because my TV has 20 inch wheels and is a 4X4, it sits very high. I use 6 boards (3 2X6 and 3 2X8) to support the tongue jack and set the foot at the highest setting.
I do carry spare fuses. I don't quite understand what you mean by "overextending the tongue jack (which is electric). Could you explain?

Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #6

Easy. My TV is so high that I have to get the TT close to the top of the limit that it is set by the tongue jack manufacturer. If you hit the upper limit and go beyond, you'll probably blow the 30A fuse. It confused me at first because the TT jack stops working. If you plug the TV power cord back in, the electric jack works again. Once replacing the 30A fuse, the TT jack starts working again. There are other comments about this in the JOF.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #7

If you blow the 30A fuse, plug the power cord back into the tow vehicle and the power should come back on the power tongue jack. You've extended the power tongue jack beyond what the manufacturer has set as a limit. To solve the issue, use more blocks under the foot and it should fix it. But keep a supply of 30A fuses just in case. My previous TT blew so many fuses that I always had a supply of 10A to 30A fuses in my supplies. As I am sure you know, you can always use the manual crank but it is a slow process.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redenbacher View Post
If you blow the 30A fuse, plug the power cord back into the tow vehicle and the power should come back on the power tongue jack. You've extended the power tongue jack beyond what the manufacturer has set as a limit. To solve the issue, use more blocks under the foot and it should fix it. But keep a supply of 30A fuses just in case. My previous TT blew so many fuses that I always had a supply of 10A to 30A fuses in my supplies. As I am sure you know, you can always use the manual crank but it is a slow process.
Thanks for all of your valuable inputs. I have never used blocks and that could very easily be my issue as I may be raising it to the upper limit and blowing the fuse. I have plugged in my power cord and it works and I assume that it is operating off the TV battery. Again, thanks!

Old 10-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #9

I just bought a 2015 26BHS and have the same issue. Mine blew when I connected the power pigtail to the tow vehicle the second time I hooked up. I heard clicking, but this was after I picked it up from the dealer which there were no problems then. Took it on a hunting trip and had to use the manual crank. When I brought it home I was parking it and hit the buttons on the jack before I unhooked the power pigtail and the jack worked under tow vehicle power. I found the fuse in one of the battery boxes and it was blown. Replaced it and the jack works fine. Something in the tow vehicle power (7 pin) isn't meshing with the trailer power/jack wiring. It has two batteries.
IdahoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #10

This might be a good place to use one of those AUTO RESET 12VDC Circuit BREAKERS.

When overheated the circuit breakers opens up and after it cools down it closes again..

??

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
Site Team

Another thought,
It sounds like they have your tongue jack wired through your main 30 amp fuse. Check your tongue jack wiring, it should have its own fuse on it. If it does have its own fuse, rewire it directly to the battery, bypassing your main 30 amp fuse. Oh, and do not extend or retract your tongue jack till it starts clicking, that will blow a fuse (experience speaking).

The other question would be, does it sound like the tongue jack is straining when it is raising the TT? You may have a slightly bent shaft if it is. I had to replace a tongue jack because of this reason ($$$).

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #12

I have had the 30 amp fuse on the tongue blow twice when I was moving the slide out either out or in....don't know why and I just bought a box of fuses.
seark19973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:37 AM   #13

A fuse blows when the amp rating of the fuse is exceeded. There must be a reason as to why the device is pulling more than 30 amps.

I'd also refrain from placing a larger fuse in a circuit; the wiring or device can get warm or melt, or worse, start an electrical fire.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
A fuse blows when the amp rating of the fuse is exceeded. There must be a reason as to why the device is pulling more than 30 amps.

I'd also refrain from placing a larger fuse in a circuit; the wiring or device can get warm or melt, or worse, start an electrical fire.
It seems to me that when I don't either pull the jack all the way up or all the way down, the fuse does NOT blow. I am now assuming that it has something to do with putting too much current on the fuse, causing it to blow, when you do either of these two things and hold it for a few seconds. Lesson learned!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #15

Can the vendor of that electric jack be contacted?Maybe they have a customer support that can be contacted. I suppose you could place a small piece of tape at the point of the highest "up" or "down" position to let you know when to stop to prevent the fuse from blowing.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Can the vendor of that electric jack be contacted?Maybe they have a customer support that can be contacted. I suppose you could place a small piece of tape at the point of the highest "up" or "down" position to let you know when to stop to prevent the fuse from blowing.
Thanks, Bucko, for the inputs. I have already essentially done as you suggest with respect to noting the up and down positions. So far, so good!

Old 11-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just a note! Tongue Jack usual ground through chassis. On mine I connected a white ground wire between the TJ-motor and battery (use same size as the pos (+) one
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote