Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #1

a/c help please

I own a 2006 jayco 23b was camping last weekend and noticed that my a/c would cool on low cool but not high cool any one have possible diagnostic thx
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #2

When you say it would not cool are you saying the compressor would not start/run while the selector switch was in the high cool position or that the air coming out of the unit didn't feel cool to your hand? On low cool when the compressor is running my discharge air temp is lower than when running on high cool with the compressor running. This is due to the air's ability to give up more heat when traveling across the evaporator coils at a lower velocity.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

a/c issue

I initally turn it high cool then realized that after a while it was just blowing air then i turned to low cool and heard the compressor kick on and it started cooling fine on low cool
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #4

Im certainly no AC technician. But it sounds like you have a bad switch. If the compressor will run on low fan and not on high fan I would expect a contact in the switch has either burnt or broke. The other possibility could be a faulty thermostat. Do you have a wall mounted thermostat?? If so that would be the first place I would look.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellys View Post
I own a 2006 jayco 23b was camping last weekend and noticed that my a/c would cool on low cool but not high cool any one have possible diagnostic thx
The only time I have had something similar happen is when my coils froze up. But then it didn't work on either high or low.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Im certainly no AC technician. But it sounds like you have a bad switch. If the compressor will run on low fan and not on high fan I would expect a contact in the switch has either burnt or broke. The other possibility could be a faulty thermostat. Do you have a wall mounted thermostat?? If so that would be the first place I would look.
This sounds likely to me as well.. You should be able to tell when the main compressor starts / is running vs. just the fan. Perhaps the switch on the thermostat

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote