Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

A Frame Bike Rack X17A Pro or Con

Is anyone using an A Frame bike rack set up on their hybrid. Would prefer not putting inside or roof of our explorer, kayak is there
NASilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Yes, we have an Arvika 2" receiver and Thule rack on our X19H. Arvika also makes full on A-Frame racks. I like the versatility of using a standard rack than I can also mount directly on my vehicle when not towing. Pictures:

Any specific questions or concerns?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Yes, we have an Arvika 2" receiver and Thule rack on our X19H. Arvika also makes full on A-Frame racks. I like the versatility of using a standard rack than I can also mount directly on my vehicle when not towing. Pictures:

We have x17A and I'm looking at Stromber Carlson bike bunk which looks very similar to your set up. None of my hybrid buddies use an a frame rack so trying to do my mone work before i get one
Old 09-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

I considered the SC one too, but backed away after reading the reviews. The Arvika one is similar $$ and I will attest that it is very well made and easy to install. Most of the complaints about the SC had to do with cutting it down, or incomplete drill through holes.
The toughest part of my install was fitting it around the spare tire that is mounted under the A-Frame.

The Arvika is sized nicely to fit over the 20 lb. tank(s), but sit below the open bunk. With the Thule rack I do have to remove it to drop the bunk (just a couple of extra minutes work), but I am fairly certain that the purpose built racks from Arvika do not need to be removed.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

One other tip if using a 3rd party rack and receiver like mine. You can still get some whip at the front, especially if you don't use an anti-rattle pin. The Thule has a bolt in pin that I cinch down really tight to reduce any whip through the carrier. On bigger bumps I will still see a couple of inches of deflection at the front edge of the carrier. Disconcerting, but it settles rapidly, and I am not seeing any kind of stress wear after a year.
Again, the full-on Arvika would sit steadier as there is not as much extension on the rack itself (sits closer in to the TT).
Note that you would generally get more whip on the back bumper, but since you can't see it; out of sight, out of mind.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

I'll look into the brand you chose, but I have an opportunity to get SC from seller who doesn't know what he has for $65.00. I'm tempted. Drilling holes doesn't bother me had to to that to mount sway control. Thanks for your reply
Old 09-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASilver View Post
I'll look into the brand you chose, but I have an opportunity to get SC from seller who doesn't know what he has for $65.00. I'm tempted. Drilling holes doesn't bother me had to to that to mount sway control. Thanks for your reply
Well you can't beat that with a stick! Grab it before it's gone, if you don't like it, resell it for what it's worth.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post

It looks like you've got some pretty serious tongue weight going on there what with the propane, battery, and bicycles. The Traverse doesn't squat too much? Do you use an equalizer hitch?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #9

The SC for $65 is a steal. You may want to buy that ASAP - BUT FIRST look at your weights.
Take a close look at what your tongue weight is and will be with both the bike bunk and a good bike rack, plus the bikes themselves.
Don't believe what Amazon says that the bike bunk is 15 pounds.
Etrailer and SC have it at around 40-45 lbs. (I know this is about right)
A bike rack similar to what bankr63 has is around 30-40 lbs.
Your bikes (if you have two) will add more weight. Depending on what type of bikes you are hauling each bike will weigh between about 17lbs (extremely light bike) to 40+ lbs and more (standard Wal-mart type bike). So for two bikes, potentially around another 35 to 80lbs.

Add in full propane tanks - 2 full 20 pounders will weigh 37 lbs each or 74lbs
2 full 30 pounders will weigh 53.5 lbs, so two would weigh 107 lbs.

And then add in your battery - 46-65 lbs.

So, best case scenario - Bike Bunk 40lbs + Bike Rack 25lbs + 2 bikes 35 lbs + two full 20 pound propane tanks 74 lbs + battery 46 lbs = 220 lbs tongue weight in addition to the 260 lbs of dry tongue weight the Jayco X17A hybrid trailer already has.

Since the GVWR of this model is 3500 lbs and the maximum tongue weight is recommended to be no more than 15% GVWR, the maximum tongue weight you should have is 525 lbs.

Therefore, you BEST CASE scenario gives you 225lbs + 260lbs = 485 lbs of tongue weight if you are fully loaded.

Being less optimistic (heavier bikes, heavier battery, but still using 20lb propane tanks, which it looks like your trailer comes with) would equal 300 lbs + 260lbs = 560 lbs.

So you would be a bit over the recommended tongue weight for your trailer.
Only you can decide what you want to do and how you want to manage your weights.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #10

I don't have a hybrid, but I went the SC route but not with a bike bunk but rather the SC trailer tray (which I got from RVUpgrades for less than $200. Then I bought a MaxxHaul bike rack ($70) and attached it to the trailer tray.

I need to watch my tongue weight as I am pretty much right at 15%, but I don't haul a full load of water, only 1/2 full FW tank, and I move as much cargo as I can to be over or behind the axles. CAT scale slips show that I am OK on total and tongue weight with 2 bikes loaded.

Here is what it looks like:

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
It looks like you've got some pretty serious tongue weight going on there what with the propane, battery, and bicycles. The Traverse doesn't squat too much? Do you use an equalizer hitch?
Tongue weight with bikes and 2*3/4 full tanks is 680 lbs or 14.85% of the loaded 4580 lbs. Gross Trailer Weight. Right on the money IMO. These are real CAT scale results. Note that 10-15 is considered a safe range, you can go over that if you stay within the carrying capacity of your hitch and your TV GAWR. I still have 400 lbs. CCC left in the TT, so I can always move gear to the rear, or load more in the rear, to counteract. Most of the storage in the 19H is biased to the front though.

Does the Traverse squat? Not much. The photo shows it fully loaded just before leaving for a 2 week excursion. About as heavy as we ever haul. Yes I use a WDH (simple Husky Round Bar 600-800lb bars). With the bars disengaged, I squat about 1.5-2". It took a bit of adjusting and a couple of trips to the CATs to get the WDH dialled in where I want it (the dealership was useless at setting up) but it now tows level and distributes the weight well. No problem moving the drive wheels back to proper clearance.

Note that I really like the current generation of Traverse as a tow vehicle. With over 3/4 ton of payload capacity, it is a pretty good hauler. I was sad to see the new GMC Acadia dropping down by 1200 lbs in tow rating. This will apparently be the platform for next year's Traverse.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #12

One quick note regarding Dewey's calculation. The weight would have to be all over the tongue for the calculation to be accurate. If you look at where these racks attach over the A-Frame behind the tanks, you are about 1/3 of the way back between the hitch and the axle. So about 2/3 of the weight goes to the hitch, 1/3 to the axle. There are additional torque factors to take into account as the bikes cantilever out (the CG is not over the point load), but the point is that the weight is not 100% on the hitch.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #13

Glad to hear the Traverse does so well. I pulled mine behind a Hyundai Santa Fe for a while and I never liked it. The Santa Fe squatted down and a WDH was not allowed. I used to put the battery and propane into a second vehicle to lessen the hitch weight and I still felt like the whole back of the Santa Fe was going to fall off even though I was within its limits.