Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Adding outside speakers?

Is this possible? Anyone done it? My 2012 X20E has only indoor speakers.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

I recently purchased a wireless bluetooth speaker by Jambox- so I can take it anywhere and pair it with music on my phone...just a thought.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #3

I built some small wood boxes, painted them white and installed Pioneer boat speakers, Mounted them just under the awning and sealed around them with some white caulking. I made the boxes so that I would not have to cut holes in the side of the trailer to mount the speakers flush. Only drilled a small hole to run the wire thru and small holes to mount the boxes with some long screws. The boxes don't stick out any further than the awning, they sound good and have held up fine so far. You can see them above the door and next to the light in the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0113.JPG  

2012 Jayco 165
2011 Nissan Frontier
Mikemvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemvg View Post
I built some small wood boxes, painted them white and installed Pioneer boat speakers, Mounted them just under the awning and sealed around them with some white caulking. I made the boxes so that I would not have to cut holes in the side of the trailer to mount the speakers flush. Only drilled a small hole to run the wire thru and small holes to mount the boxes with some long screws. The boxes don't stick out any further than the awning, they sound good and have held up fine so far. You can see them above the door and next to the light in the attached pic.
Nice looking work!!
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #5

The biggest issue you will have in mounting speakers outside is getting the speaker wires routed from the stereo to the location where you want the speakers mounted. Once that part is done, mounting the speakers should be an easier task. You'll find your speakers types will either be surface mounted or recess mounted. Whatever you get, make sure to get 'marine' speakers. they are made from materials designed to withstand exposure to the elements.

I am planning on getting rid or the crappy outside speakers on my 2013 Eagle 284BHS. I just ordered some Polyplanar MA905W marine speakers.

They are relatively flush mounted and require only a minimum of depth for mounting. From what I can tell the inside thickness of the wall is about 1". The mounting depth of my new speakers is 1". So they should mount within the thickness of the wall without having to go completely through to the inside. If needed, I can fabricate some nice looking shims to raise the speaker a bit away from the wall, but the shim won't have to be more than a 1/4".

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #6

I am thinking of new speakers outside as well on my 2014 Eagle 334 rbts, I couldn't believe how cheap the speakers are on these units, what is underneath the speakers now, my guess is just a hole big enough for the speaker wire, as the speakers look like they are surface mount, I don't want to open up the fiberglass at all, I wonder who makes a good surface mount speaker that you don't have to cut any holes.
fastercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

+1 on going the portable bluetooth speaker route. I had tried to talk myself into installing outside speakers on my 2012 x20e, but it just didn't make sense now that I use a phone or tablet for virtually all my audio. A quality bluetooth speaker gives me more flexibility than adding additional speakers. At least that's what I'm telling myself to make sure I don't go adding holes to my trailer...
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote