Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #1

Alaska in an X23B

The wife and I left Kentucky on May 15. Traveled 10,253 miles in 52 days to Alaska and back. Camper performed flawlessly the entire trip. Only issues were tires. Had to repair two slow leaks and replace one worn out tire. Those gravel roads were pretty hard on tires. Be prepared for high gas prices in Canada. Hit every kind of weather you can imagine. Lost count of the number of bears we saw. Both black bears and grizzly. Here are some pics

Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #2

Awesome trip. We flew out in 2008 and rented a motor home. We were there for 20 days. Gas prices’s were insane. The highest prices we saw was $5 something a gallon. My cousin who lives there said in the small villages you can see $10+/gallon. Someday I would like to go back and spend a lot more time. We were there over summer solstice and we saw every type of weather too.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #3

Traveled Alaska in 08 and 11, both times renting motorhomes out of Anchorage. Averaged about 1800 miles traveled each trip with about 16 days driving. Considered doing the drive "to Alaska" from the lower 48 but decided against after talking to several fellow rv'ers we met on our trips. Heard all the war stories about breakdowns, bad roads, and high prices while driving across Canada. Then there is the moment you realize that its time to turn south and drive all the way back to Kentucky. Your mileage was probably about the same as ours for miles actually in Alaska with the rest of it to and from.

We may still do the drive but will cut it in half by signing up with our rental company to drive one of their new Mhomes from the factory in northern Indiana. They will cut you a pretty good deal with an ample allowance of time to do the drive. Then when its time to go home, its a one way flight and home in 24 hours. No wear and tear on your personal tow vehicle and TT.

Would you do it again?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #4

Wow, TN to AK! You are an intrepid pair. I particularly like the "mud" photo.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Wow! 10K+ miles! I thought our trip from NJ to Utah and back was epic.

I'm glad you enjoyed the X23B and it reaffirms that we selected the right trailer!

Joe
Old 08-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

Highest gas price we paid was $7.00 a gallon in the Yukon Territory on the Alaskan highway. We actually came back via a different route as much as possible. The several days getting from Ky to Canada and from Canada back to Ky were the worst. Long travel days with not much to stop for. I like the idea of driving a rental from the factory to its Alaskan destination and then flying back. This was our second trip to Alaska so probably wont do it again. This winter we are thinking of taking our first snowbird trip to the Southwest. We have both commented how comfortable the camper was in regards to sleeping and relaxing at the end of the day.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Between our 2 trips to Ak, I think we have driven on the majority of all of the paved highways in the whole state estimated at about 5000. Absolutely stunning views around every turn and you're allowed to park [overnight] anywhere you aren't blocking traffic and on private property with permission. Puts a pucker in your step to see a moose or grizzly walk past your RV as you sit on a pull out in the middle of nowhere eating breakfast and watching the sun rise.

Wow, I may have talked myself into booking another trip.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Boy, when I drive the coast from Bellingham to Pismo Beach, Ca. And back in 6-7 weeks and drive just 4,000 miles I'm done! Don't think I'm up to a trip like that but wish I could. I just get tired of driving that much. My hats off to you my friend.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brodt View Post
Highest gas price we paid was $7.00 a gallon in the Yukon Territory on the Alaskan highway. We actually came back via a different route as much as possible. The several days getting from Ky to Canada and from Canada back to Ky were the worst. Long travel days with not much to stop for. I like the idea of driving a rental from the factory to its Alaskan destination and then flying back. This was our second trip to Alaska so probably wont do it again. This winter we are thinking of taking our first snowbird trip to the Southwest. We have both commented how comfortable the camper was in regards to sleeping and relaxing at the end of the day.
Looks like you hit some wet / cold / messy weather . . . did you sleep in the fold down bunk or stay buttoned up inside on one of the convertible sleepers?
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #10

Actually, we had wonderful weather during the entire trip with the exception of about 3-4 days. Mid 60's in the the day and 40's -50's at night. In the picture with the mud and rain we were on the "Top of the World Highway" between Chicken AK and Dawson City, Yukon. We turtled in that night. On the way up from KY on a couple of the 400 mile days we stayed at Walmart parking lots and we turtled in on those nights as well.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #11

Congrats on a good trip, seeing snow this time of year is hard for me to imagine, but then I've never been that far north either. what does the term "turtle" mean??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Actually, we had wonderful weather during the entire trip with the exception of about 3-4 days. Mid 60's in the the day and 40's -50's at night. In the picture with the mud and rain we were on the "Top of the World Highway" between Chicken AK and Dawson City, Yukon. We turtled in that night. On the way up from KY on a couple of the 400 mile days we stayed at Walmart parking lots and we turtled in on those nights as well.
Turtled? Thanks for the new (to me) expression. Perfect!

I have spent a couple of years in Alaska, but never in a TT. That is a great trip you took and it must be a testament to your trailering skill. Kudos!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #13

"Turtle" means to spend the night in a hybrid camper without opening the tent ends. I guess sort of like a turtle closing up in its shell.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
"Turtle" means to spend the night in a hybrid camper without opening the tent ends. I guess sort of like a turtle closing up in its shell.
The term "turtle" is very descriptive and we have already had an "Aha" followed by a good laugh, because of it. It's one of those things that just makes sense. So what are the opened beds called?

We sometimes camp in bear country and have begun referring to those open beds as "tacos" or "cannoli's" . Of course, this would be strictly from the bears point of view. May have to turtle in bear country. Are they otherwise called bunks? or ?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #15

Ed,

Great trip!!. My wife and I are planning a similar trip this summer in our X17X leaving from NY. We had been there 10 years ago in a pick up truck camper. Can you comment on your experience's camping with a Hybrid in bear country. Thanks.
Ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #16

thats awesome
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #17

We wondered about camping in the hybrid in bear country as well. Having camped in Yellowstone and vicinity where they do not allow tent camping we were a bit surprised at the approach they take in Alaska. Lots of campers in tents in Denali National Park and other parts of Alaska. They do a good job of educating you about the bears, but they are not overly restrictive. We saw 13 grizzly bears in one day in Denali. Going through British Columbia we lost count of the number of black bears we saw. Again, lots of tent campers.

Good luck on your trip. If you get a chance look up Barkerville in British Columbia. It added about three days to our trip but was well worth it.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:24 AM   #18

My wife and I have driven the Alaska Hyw. 79 times since 1963. She says that is enough. We are flying this year.
7 of those trips were to southern Mexico. About half of them we were pulling a RV or a boat.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #19

Jack in Alaska. That is amazing. I bet you have witnessed the gradual closing of all those Inns, resorts, Cafes, bars along the Alaska Highway. Some appear to be falling apart and others look like the owners walked away yesterday. My wife and I were speculating that the paving of the highway has contributed to that, since people can travel further in a day now than they could in the past. Therefor people are driving past places where they might have had to stop before. What are your thoughts.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Jack in Alaska. That is amazing. I bet you have witnessed the gradual closing of all those Inns, resorts, Cafes, bars along the Alaska Highway. Some appear to be falling apart and others look like the owners walked away yesterday. My wife and I were speculating that the paving of the highway has contributed to that, since people can travel further in a day now than they could in the past. Therefor people are driving past places where they might have had to stop before. What are your thoughts.
We have lived in the Yukon for 30 years and I also grew up here. The first time I drove up the highway, it was 1968. I was only 6, but i vividly remember how bad that road was. Narrow, not paved for the most part and the dust was unreal. We only travelled short stints each day and there were a ton of small little lodges and gas stations.

Now the Alaska Hwy is all paved, except for those areas where it's under construction and being widened out, and it is a much faster drive. And for exactly this reason, the highway lodges have slowly closed up over the years and travellers hit the main towns along the way for gas and lodging -- whether an RV park or a motel.

Many sections of the highway were diverted to straighten it out (less twisty) and widen the road. But there are still some stretches where there "Old Alaska Highway" wasn't destroyed and you can turn off and drive it for a short stint. It is sort of paved (LOL) and it is so narrow, you will feel you are in a back alley. Back in the day, it was quite an adventure when you had to pass a semi-truck on those narrow roads!

In any event, it's a beautiful drive and I highly recommend it. Great country and very friendly people (even if I do say so myself!)
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote