Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #1

Almost

I went to Jayco Dealer with my wife with the X17Z in my mind (Toyota Tacoma TV) which they did not hav ein stock, so i wanted to check all the Jayco Hybrids to get a touch and fee experience of the quality.
The 19XUD was nice with comofortable counch but beds are 70 inches and i am 6ft. They had the X18D on special (2015) and was roomy for sleeping but table and sitting area was not. I thought most would be sitting outside, and put deposit on it. Sunday I changed my mind and decided i need more compfort sitting area so i think the X20E would fit the bill? A little heavier and less tongue weight.. That should be ok here in flat Florida with my Tacoma? I loved the quality of the Jayco and was pleased with the dealer. I asked dealer how they sell the 19XUD with such short beds and he said people sleep on a diagonal?
Any thoughts?
fishguy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #2

I'm guessing your Tacoma is tow-rated at 6400lbs. If so, you should be ok. I tow a heavier X23b with a similar spec '05 Pathfinder and it's adequate for the job. My next tow vehicle will definitely be bigger and beefier, though, as towing in 3rd gear through rolling hills while getting 7mpg's gets old after a while...But for now, it does the job and I wouldn't hesitate to hook it up and go.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #3

I don't know if the Tacoma will pull anything but it will pull alot!
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #4

thanks

Florida is very flat for the most part, so i think i iwll be ok with proper hitch/sway accessories. Do you have added mirrors to see both sides or just concave stick on?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #5

As for tow mirrors, yes, they are necessary with the 8' wide campers, as in our case, the stock mirrors cannot see around the camper at all. I use these from Pep Boys. The ratchet system tightens them enough that there is no vibration whatsoever, so I've been pleased with them.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...nlyStore=false
Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #6

great mirrors

Those mirrors look great and easy. Thanks for the tip
Old 11-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #7

I pull my X20E with my 2012 DLCB no problem. Note: I do have the tow package. I even filled the Fresh water Tanks and pulled it all over Ontario this summer. I don't plan to do that all the time, but I am much more confident knowing the truck can handle it and without that weight I'm even more comfy.

When Towing I would just lock out the Overdrive (ODO) and leave it in 4th gear and set the cruise for the flat runs and minor hill climbs. Bump down to 3rd if I needed to pick up some speed on the uphill climbs but only if I had a big rig bearing down on me. Otherwise no problem at all.

For mirrors, I bought some PROEFX off a group buy at TacomaWorld.com
Talk to Rob Aka Macha1Man001. He can hook you up. I had one fail because I clipped another mirror/trunk in a parking lot and he replaced it for me no questions asked. I go by CDNTACO over there.

Check out the thread here>> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...ml#post8616463

The Mirrors on my truck fold out and then I can see around the trailer no problem.

Aside from that, Get a good WD Hitch and Brake Controller. It makes a world of difference and don't be in a rush to get anywhere when towing.

Deployed View (Not my truck) but shows how they fold out.

Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #8

I've towed my X20E with both a mid-size SUV and my current full size PU. The full size with the V8 is far better. That said, I agree that what you have will work fine but I predict at some point you'll want a bigger TV.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I've towed my X20E with both a mid-size SUV and my current full size PU. The full size with the V8 is far better. That said, I agree that what you have will work fine but I predict at some point you'll want a bigger TV.
No question a larger TV would enhance the experience but it's not in the cards yet. I needed a TV that doubles as a daily driver and for the few times every year I'm pulling the Hybrid the Tacoma works good for me as an all round truck. Maybe when I retire in a few years, but by then I'll need one for a 5th wheel, lol

Old 11-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #10

thanks

I got the Tacoma to tow my boat and it fit in the garage perfectly!
It is dual cab. My neighbor borrowed it as his F150 is in under warranty work and he said my tacoma towed his work trailer better than his Ford 150 with 8cyl.

I can eventually get a TV that is 10 inches longer than the Tacoma. But they keep making most trucks longer. My Tac is the size the Tundra used to be!
Thanks for the towing tips
Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #11

I would go with the one that sleeps you comfortable . I think it is so important to get a comfortable bed for the parents because that's the one most important thing you do in a camper. I would also look at how the living area is layed out from a real life standpoint. On one of the other thread someone suggested trying to live out a real life scenario with your wife trying to fix lunch during a rain with the kids in the camper and see how difficult it would be to do. Where are you going to plug coffee maker in? Where is the food at compared to the counter? How hard is it to get to when the kids are asleep in the morning? I would think the truck would pull any of the mentioned campers fine, I have seen tacomas pulling much larger but check the gvwr to make sure you are legal roadwise. Good luck
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #12

I agonized over the short beds on the 19XUD while wanting a camper that fit in the driveway and could be easily towed. After hearing from other owners we bought one and have no regrets so far. The slide out makes the floor plan work well in a very easy towing trailer. I am 6ft.as well and calculated some of the angled positions on the bed prior to purchase and it has worked out well. The only modification I made on the order was to get the 15k air conditioner upgrade. Also, the dinette area bed is well over six feet.
Jayh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
As for tow mirrors, yes, they are necessary with the 8' wide campers, as in our case, the stock mirrors cannot see around the camper at all. I use these from Pep Boys. The ratchet system tightens them enough that there is no vibration whatsoever, so I've been pleased with them.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...nlyStore=false
Is it me, or does the picture in that link have the mirrors backwards!?!?

I'm towing my SLX 16XRB model with my Ford Ranger 4x4. It has a 3.0 V6, and pulls just fine; won't break any land speed records, but in pulling a camper, no one should be anyhow.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #14

can't thank everyone enough

Thanks..I thin the X20E is the right one for comfort ! It is mainly my wife and I, and would take another couple or my daughter and Son inlaw and grandson for weekends. Here in Florida there are so many places to go within a 2 hr drive.
Is everyone with the X20E happy and no problems?

Can't wait to get it!
Old 11-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Is it me, or does the picture in that link have the mirrors backwards!?!?
LOL. Now that you mention that, it does look like it. I believe that is supposed to be a Chrome-backed mirror housing that the extendable mirror is attached to.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
LOL. Now that you mention that, it does look like it. I believe that is supposed to be a Chrome-backed mirror housing that the extendable mirror is attached to.
My eyes... the second thing to be going!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy2014 View Post
Thanks..I thin the X20E is the right one for comfort ! It is mainly my wife and I, and would take another couple or my daughter and Son inlaw and grandson for weekends. Here in Florida there are so many places to go within a 2 hr drive.
Is everyone with the X20E happy and no problems?

Can't wait to get it!
DW, Daughter and I all love the X20E. As do my friends when I camp with them. Only problem for me is I am a hefty fella and thus I might as well sleep directly on plywood since the mattresses do little for comfort. To offset that my DW purchased some 1/2" Foam Floor Tiles that we fit together and put under the mattress and I also put a couple of sleeping bags on top for a bit more cushion. Works for me but I am in the market for a decent mattress/topper that is not memory foam based. We cook everything outside and setup a table that holds our Keurig/toaster and other things outside under the awning and won't be damaged from Rain or Dew. For added counter space I just cut a piece of plywood that sits on top of the Stove. Everything else gets piled up on the U-Dinette area. BTW, we ditched that lousy Dinette Table in favor of a plastic table with folding legs. Much lighter and we have even more room inside without the stock table inside.