Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

Angle power awning on 23B?

We were wrapping up our second trip and got hit with a storm in the middle of the night. When I was a younger, my Dad would always angle our awning for run off. I was shown how to do it at orientation but it wasn't easy for the instructor. I had to angle the awing to help remove excess water and leaves, twigs, etc. I popped the button in on the arm, slid the awning down a bit - 2 holes - but then the button wouldn't pop back out. I slid it back to the original location and still no luck popping it out. I had to 'help' it out with a knife. Has anyone else run into this issue? Pics. Coming soon from our first adventures too!
Equal-izer 6K
Campin' Muds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #2

My dad keeps a 2x4 handy to put in the track of the power awning on his 23b to let one side slide down a little lower than the other, letting the water run off that side. It's not truly angled, but it does allow for runoff because one side is looser than the other.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

The first couple of times I had a bit of trouble trying to figure out how this electric awning worked. But I put the rear arm down three notches and it sheds water nicely. I too had issues initially getting the button to pop backing into the hole. I just wiggled all the parts in the area and it finally popped back in. Our dealer told us ONLY to make the adjustment with the awning closed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice Jagiven and El jefe. Jagiven - they never told us about adjusting while closed - they actually tried to adjust while open and had issues with it as well. I haven't heard back from the dealer on their thoughts yet. I will try while closed to see I can make that work. Won't be back out until end of July
Equal-izer 6K
Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

Don't all the electric awnings have the auto-dump feature? Larry
Old 06-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #6

Our dealer told us NEVER adjust the awning while it is open. They also told us not to have the adjustments more than three clicks difference between ends. They told us why, but it when in one ear and out the other.

19H F250: I want to say no, as an acquaintance of ours has a 5th wheel without auto dump. I do not like the auto dump feature. The whole unit appears to twist un-naturally.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #7

We do have the auto dump feature, but I was always used to tilting one side and wanted to do this but I am also not able to adjust our awning while open. I will have to try when closed. The dealer did adjust when doing the inspection when open but I was not able too. I would rather tip the awning so the water dumps further away from the door rather than at the door of the TT.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

We adjust the tilt with the awning extended with no problems. The button popps out nicely every time.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

I used some of the dry lube for the slide outs, and now the awning extends perfectly and the buttons pop back out no problem. I think everything was just bound up. I sprayed into all the adjustment holes and then wiped up the excess lube. I did notice however that the track for lights clips does not face downward when the awning is fully extended.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #10

Quote:
I did notice however that the track for lights clips does not face downward when the awning is fully extended.
Ours is the same way, unroll the awning, and when I roll it back up a bit to tighten the awning, the amount you have to roll it up causes the groove to be rolled up towards the side of the trailer, not pointing down like is should. It is as if the awning is about 3" to wide, or the gas shocks are at their maximum extension too soon. maybe the shock position could be changed? Might have to take a look at that. Not a big deal to us as we don't put anything in the track. At least not yet.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #11

Thanks Jordant. I will try the dry lube!
Equal-izer 6K