Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2015, 05:22 AM   #1

Anyone ever used the tv space over fridge to build extra cabinet

We have no intentions of watching tv while camping. Thinking this space would be best used for an extra cabinet. The place where we bought our TT threw in an extra cabinet door that matches pretty close to the others. I just need to frame it up and build in the right side and front with the proper veneer. Seems like an easy enough project. However I am always worried of driving a screw through something inside the wall I'm framing on.
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #2

When we bought our HTT we opted out the tv and mount. We figured we never watched tv after all those years tent camping. On our very first time out, it rained all weekend long. We rethought the decision and added a tv for those all day long rains or near 100 degree afternoons. (getting older i guess).

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #3

Don't get the war on TV??? All the while the family sits around and stares at their smart phones or I pads. What ever I guess. Not against people who don't watch tv when camping but when you move up from a tent, you may come to use features in your RV that you did without before.

If you want a cabinet suggest you get one at Lowes that will fit the space. Cost probably less than $40 and you can just screw it into the top of the existing cabinet.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

We don't watch TV when we're dry camping - no generator - but we use it when we're hooked up. Mostly, we tell ourselves, we watch it for the weather reports .... However, on the TT we've ordered (which does come with a television), there isn't room for a pre-fab cabinet where it goes. The dinette slides in right beside it, and there's maybe 3-4" clearance, or so it looks in the pix. No room on the shelf beneath the television for anything but the remote. We are going to take a look and see how we can either dismount or seriously secure the television for dry camping, 'cause we go out over some pretty rough roads and wouldn't like to joggle it loose and break it.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

When we had the X17Z, we used to use 2 of these above the fridge:

They look nice and use of these give you options to use a TV or use the space for storage. We used to store lighter stuff there like potato chips, cookies, breakfast cereal, etc. Also, the X17Z was weight limited, so these are very light weight as compared to building a storage cabinet.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 AM   #6

Not sure of your plans to ever resell or trade the current camper, but eliminating the area for a television may hurt your resell/trade value.

The idea that Allamuchy Joe suggests would be a better option for this.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:27 AM   #7

I have 2 TVs in my TT but I can see people not wanting to watch tv while camping. Its the people that don't poop in their camper that I don't understand
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I have 2 TVs in my TT but I can see people not wanting to watch tv while camping. Its the people that don't poop in their camper that I don't understand
Let me explain one more time. Its not the "act" of pooping in my camper that I have an issue with, its the frequency of having to "puke" the black tank when we are set up for a longer stay. Dry camping is one thing, camping in a CG with clean modern bathrooms is entirely another. It doesn't take all that much planning to use the CG facilities during the day and limit use of the onboard toilet to night time use. Our White Hawk has a very nice bathroom with full sized shower etc. Its not about using the shower or the toilet, its about "ME" having to empty the tanks that drives our camper habits. I'm not the guy you see every morning slow crawling the tote to the dump station.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

I have never #2'd in a camper...ever. We stay at CG's with decent bathrooms. We choose to dirty them up instead. Although, my wife has had..let's say...early morning emergencies and had to use it. Not often though.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #10

I use a macerator to pump into my blue tote in the back of my truck. I no longer have to do a slow crawl to the dump station. I don't want to use any public bathroom, and certainly don't want my kids to, if its not necessary no matter how clean you think it is. And having a camper makes it not necessary. But as they say, its a free country..do what you want..I might even add a TV to the bathroom so I can watch it while I do #2
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #11

To each his own. Funny how the OP subject turned into a debate about having a TV or #2ing in your RV.

Cheers,
Greg
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
To each his own. Funny how the OP subject turned into a debate about having a TV or #2ing in your RV.

Cheers,
Greg
I noticed this too.

2007 Ford F150
Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #13

33 RLDS, you would have loved my inlaws, not only did they never use the toilet, they never used the shower or any of the sinks. They carried bottle water. I don't recall they ever used the stove either. All she did was clean all day.
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
33 RLDS, you would have loved my inlaws, not only did they never use the toilet, they never used the shower or any of the sinks. They carried bottle water. I don't recall they ever used the stove either. All she did was clean all day.
See if you in-laws want to work their OCD on my trailer or house!

2007 Ford F150
Old 06-30-2015, 05:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
That sounds just like the one I bought used and we do not do #2 in the trailer.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to BluJay
Using "TV" Space Above Fridge

Here's our solution (assuming one doesn't want to use the space for a TV) A cheap, easy and not too unattractive mod.
Attached Images

BluJay
Fort Wayne, Indiana
TV = 2013 Toyota Highlander
BluJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to BluJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Not sure of your plans to ever resell or trade the current camper, but eliminating the area for a television may hurt your resell/trade value.

The idea that Allamuchy Joe suggests would be a better option for this.
Tunce,

By removing 5 small screws from the bottom wood frame, its outta there ('cept for the 5 small, residual holes in the shelf).

BluJay
Fort Wayne, Indiana
TV = 2013 Toyota Highlander
BluJay is offline   Reply With Quote