Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
Actually the dry weight of the StarCraft is a tad over 2500. The GVWR is a total of 3300#. I would be very surprised if our food, clothes, and blankets were anywhere near 600#....but I have not weighed at a scale.

heebzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #12
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
You are not overcautious. Yes, you are probably within your weight limits. But it's also likely you are very close to that limit. Any "harshness" is not due to the unibody construction. It's because you are so close to your limits. You are also towing a box which is not very aerodynamic.

I have twice knowingly towed close to my weight limits. As you are discovering, it's certainly doable, and safe. But I would not have towed either of those setups in mountains or on long trips.

I predict a mid-size SUV like a Traverse or Durango is in your future.
Chuck, you are so right!
After maiden voyage with the new x17z in our 2012 grand caravan sxt, ( with tow package and WDH), DH says he can't see us doing one of our camping vacations in this set-up.
We like doing the 6000+ Kms trips with our Tweens & Teen, who are now taller than I am, lol; so SUV shopping it is.
We've picked out the gmc acadia, which is the same as the traverse but more masculine looking. Seating for 8 with 5200lbs tow capacity, this should put us back into the "sweet spot" of towing, that our caravan had with the pop-up camper.

Edit to add: of course we had to do this backwards.. Buy the htt first and then decide that we need a better TV... Lol, but I bet a lot of people do it wrong like this

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote