Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #41

I like my beanie-weenie, just sayin'....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #42
BJR

Subs or pre-made sandwiches. All of this sounds like too much work!

We did have sushi once, but for awhile we were picking up Taco Bell - there's one on the way to the Promised Land (State Park.)
Old 07-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #43

We normally leave after work on Friday afternoon, we usually eat out on the first night. Our regular spot is pretty rural so our choices two or three spots for pizza or a "mom & pop" restaurant near the lake. Pizza has been our traditional choice but we recently discovered the restaurant has some of the best fried chicken I've ever eaten.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #44

We usually make some bbq at home earlier in the week and freeze it. Then a couple of minutes in the micro while I finish the hooking up and we are ready to go. Chips or salad on the side and a frozen ice cream cone for desert.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
Usually something quick like hot dogs, but I'm liking the ideas of eating out.

Problem is, I am usually 3 beers in by the time I'm done setup!

Hahaha. I hear ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #46

Haven't heard anyone suggest a Costco chicken or chicken pasta salad yet.
We usually buy one the day before we leave and stick it in the fridge. Either of those two with a nice ciabatta roll and that's "first night in camp" dinner.
The DW nukes the bird and sets the table while I put finishing touches on the camp site. Dinner in less than 10 min.
Just thinkin bout campin gets my juices flowing.....too bad the5er is still in the shop while the dealer thinks about getting started on the list of warranty items that he's had 3 weeks to deal with while we were in Europe visiting the grandkids and wishing we were camping instead.....but I digress!

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:09 AM   #47

Walking Tacos!

Old Boy Scout favourite... Walking Tacos. We precook the meat at home, arrive at the campground, heat and serve. Great because it leaves you with one pot and some spoons for your dishes on the first night.

For those not familiar.... You add you Taco meat and whatever fixings you want to Doritos. You buy the small bags, crunch up the chips and add the ingregients to the bag. No plates required. I would like to claim the kids love it... But I do an annual trip with six grown men and they demand this as the Friday meal every year.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Old Boy Scout favourite... Walking Tacos. We precook the meat at home, arrive at the campground, heat and serve. Great because it leaves you with one pot and some spoons for your dishes on the first night.

For those not familiar.... You add you Taco meat and whatever fixings you want to Doritos. You buy the small bags, crunch up the chips and add the ingregients to the bag. No plates required. I would like to claim the kids love it... But I do an annual trip with six grown men and they demand this as the Friday meal every year.
We do something like this on occasion. But we use chili and Fritos!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #49

Quote:

You got me with this one. But it does sound good and I'll try it on our next trip in two weeks.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #50

Addictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
You got me with this one. But it does sound good and I'll try it on our next trip in two weeks.
Fair warning... It is addictive.

For the meat... We brown it on the stove top with some diced onion and add a package of taco seasoning. For your Doritos we go to our local Grocer and they sell the little bags in a variety pack. My wife likes the Zesty Cheddar, I like the Sweet Chili Heat.

For fixings we bring sour cream, salsa, guacamole and hot sauce... Gotta have the hot sauce

Enjoy!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #51

I just made a huge batch of homemade meatballs and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. My thought is to put them in a small crock pot I take along with some sauce and start to heat it when we arrive and set up. After a few cocktails and cheese and crackers I figure they'll be ready for subs whenever anyone wants one. At least that is the plan for this trip with 6 of us.
DLinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #52

Grilled Cheese on the Camper Stove. We rarely cook inside but arrival day is the exception.

Easy one especially with a 4 yr old or a 10 yr old like us
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
Grilled Cheese on the Camper Stove. We rarely cook inside but arrival day is the exception.

Easy one especially with a 4 yr old or a 10 yr old like us

[emoji106]. We don't cook inside but we all love grilled cheese sandwiches. We have a outside electric skillet but have never made grilled cheese sandwiches. Gonna add it to the rotation...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #54

Meals are very important! to me. I suggest starting earlier, or stopping earlier.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #55

Seeing that I go out before my DW joins me, She usually brings out subs from a local deli. It's the easiest thing for us. If I'm alone however, I usually make hot dogs with chips. I know it's not very healthy but it's the easiest thing after setting up. The rest of the meals are will planned and better in context.
dave89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #56

Quote:

You owe me a keyboard. I'll never get all the drool out of this one.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #57

Find a good local beer or wine if you make a stop on the way or pack your favorite and have an easy snack like grapes and cheese and crackers or chips and dip to give you time to get the campfire going after setting up.

Before we leave, we marinate boneless, skinless chicken breasts. (Regular Italian salad dressing is my favorite.) We save the plastic take-out Chinese food containers to use to marinade the chicken and can just recycle them when done or use a Ziploc bag.

When you are set up, bake potatoes on the fire. You can slice them and add sliced onion and wrap in foil and cook over file. Slice fresh yellow squash, add butter, salt & pepper and sliced onion and double wrap in aluminum foil to cook on the fire.

Grill the chicken over the fire. I try to only turn them one time, and cook them longer on the first side than the second, and they are usually very moist and tender. The time depends on how large and thick they are.

We have a cast iron camp fire pie iron for an easy desert using white bread and canned apple or blueberry pie filling.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimovernon View Post
Find a good local beer or wine if you make a stop on the way or pack your favorite and have an easy snack like grapes and cheese and crackers or chips and dip to give you time to get the campfire going after setting up.

Before we leave, we marinate boneless, skinless chicken breasts. (Regular Italian salad dressing is my favorite.) We save the plastic take-out Chinese food containers to use to marinade the chicken and can just recycle them when done or use a Ziploc bag.

When you are set up, bake potatoes on the fire. You can slice them and add sliced onion and wrap in foil and cook over file. Slice fresh yellow squash, add butter, salt & pepper and sliced onion and double wrap in aluminum foil to cook on the fire.

Grill the chicken over the fire. I try to only turn them one time, and cook them longer on the first side than the second, and they are usually very moist and tender. The time depends on how large and thick they are.

We have a cast iron camp fire pie iron for an easy desert using white bread and canned apple or blueberry pie filling.

Try using GRANDS BISCUITS, Open the pack, slice the biscuits in half, flatten them out as much as you possible can, put on the blueberries, apple pie filling or even pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and a little oregano for pizza.
You will never go back to bread.

warning.......COOK THEM SLOW or the biscuit will not get done in the center.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote