Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

backflow preventor on waste water

This past weekend, we were camping in Merimac State Park in Missouri and it rained really bad, and from the looks of my 23b wheels the water was about half way up them. We had a full hook up site and my guess is that opening for the sewer was under water. And long story short, at some point during the night our shower was overflowing. Is it possible that water from the sewer filled our holding tank and started leaking onto the floor? If it is possible is there any type of back-flow prevention device I can add to fix that problem? Thanks in advance.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #2

Well, it's not really called a back-flow preventer....it's the gate valve.

I guess it would be possible for a severe rainfall to cause the campground sewer to force water (sewage) back up your sewer hose and enter the tank. But it would take enough pressure that I would think your sewer hose would have been forced out of the pipe first.

At any rate it is normal to leave the black water valve closed until full or you are ready to leave. And it is also a good practice to leave the grey water valve closed as well and only drain to 50% when filled. Good to have that grey water to rinse the hose after dumping the back water.

Hope this helped.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply and although I am fairly new to camping I do know enough to keep the valve closed until the tanks are full or close.

How else could my tanks get filled? No one left the water running. This is the second time it has happened after a rain storm while hooked up to a sewer (2 different places).
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #4

Check the vent pipes on the roof and make sure they have the proper caps on them. If the caps are missing and it is just an open pipe then theoretically the tanks could fill with water from rain falling into the vent pipe. It would have to be lots of water but I guess it is possible. On the other hand if the tank valves were open then any rain water that entered the vent pipe would just drain out.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #5

If both gate valves are closed and no water is left running then the tanks CANNOT fill.

The next logical possibly would be you are relying on the "idiot lights" telling you the tanks are full. It is common knowledge the tank indicator system provided by the manufactures are junk. Especially the black water.

Would this possibly explain the problem you are experiencing?

OTOH this would not explain your shower overflowing. That has got me stumped.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #6

I agree with Chuck. I am also dubious about the water going down the vent pipe in the case of missing vent caps, since as Macrosill, said that would have to be a huge amount of water. Something is not adding up.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote