Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #1

Battery, electrical question

Up front, I am a failure at figuring out electrical problems. That said, does anyone have an answer to my non-emergency quandary?
My trailer hibernates at son-in-law and daughter's house between our adventures. We brought it home yesterday to get ready for a 3 week trip.
I tried to turn on the lights using the general switch by the door. No lights. Checked battery level and it was at 3/4 on the panel. My first thought was the battery fuse had blown but it was OK.
So I plugged the trailer into house current and everything worked.
Would the battery not being full be the cause for nothing working off the battery. Or should I look for another reason nothing worked.
lfcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Can you leave it plugged in and charge the battery. Do you have a way toi disconnect the battery between trips when it's sitting idle. The battery has parasitic loads on it if it's not disconnected and your battery may be discharged.

The converter when plugged up to 120v may bring it back up.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

Follow Norty1 suggestion. But if you want a quicker solution, put a multi-meter across the battery after you disconnect it from the trailer, see what the voltage is. The one concern I have, after you follow Norty1 suggestion, make sure you check it again after 12 hours. While you may be able to charge the battery, it may not hold the charge. I also suggest you purchase a trickle charger; batteries don't do well if they just sit for long periods of time. What ever you do, don't wait until the day before you leave .
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #4

Let it sit for 24 hours, then disconnect shore power and try the switch and battery level again. If it shows full and the lights work, then your battery was too drained to power the lights. In that case, to prevent future occurrences install a battery disconnect as norty1 suggests, or simply pull the main fuse located on the positive battery cable at or near the box. Don't forget to replace the fuse when you are ready to go again.

If your lights still don't work, then there is something wrong on the battery supply side; most probably a main fuse or loose connection at the battery or where the neutral wire connects to the frame.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for suggestions and advise. It will help in the future.

I plugged the trailer into house current for about 6 hours and all of the items that are to work on battery work now.
I have a sneaking suspicion that my 7 and 4 year old granddaughter kids sneek the trailer keys, turn on the pump, and use the trailer as an outdoor bathroom because I have found the the pump on and the door unlocked more than once. I think that drained the battery enough to so it wouldn't power the lights.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Site Team

As mentioned earlier, you need a disconnect switch. There are a few other items that you need for basic 12VDC testing:
- A Volt/Ohm digital meter (Walmart between $8 - $25)
- A Digital Voltage Display for 12VDC accessory plug (Amazon - see below)
- A Digital Voltage Display for 110VAC outlets. Lets you know what the voltage is from the CG.

The LED display that comes with the TT's are useless.

With the Digital Voltage Display you will know exactly the voltage status of your 12Volt battery(s). When the display voltage drops to 12VDC you need to stop using the 12VDC system.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg   ELECTRONICS - 110VAC Digital Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcave View Post
Thanks for suggestions and advise. It will help in the future.

I plugged the trailer into house current for about 6 hours and all of the items that are to work on battery work now.
I have a sneaking suspicion that my 7 and 4 year old granddaughter kids sneek the trailer keys, turn on the pump, and use the trailer as an outdoor bathroom because I have found the the pump on and the door unlocked more than once. I think that drained the battery enough to so it wouldn't power the lights.
Keep in mind, as has been mentioned. When your trailer is just sitting, even with everything turned off, there are still parasitic drains against the battery. The Co2 detector, the radio, etc. have a constant draw. This is why people recommend a battery cutoff switch or they pull the main fuse. Those that can, also leave the trailer plugged in to shore power.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

If the TT is in storage, not being used, and not plugged into an outlet. There are a number of parasite power drains on the system. So it is critical to disconnect the battery while in storage. I do not have a disconnect switch. For me I pull the battery cover off, and pull the 30 amp fuse at the battery. The battery can stay charged for many months when not connected to anything.

As for a key at the kid's place, might need to bring it home or put it up where they cannot get it.! Hate to say it but it sounds like the grandkid's need a little discipline.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #9

You could be right on the grandkids. My only excuse is that they consider it a 2nd home and love going in it. ��
Old 09-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
RV's are definitely no toys for kids. It also can be costly when they ruin your battery by fully discharging it. Also it has propane onboard. You'll never forgive yourself if something happens to them. Lock it!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #11

electrical

sorry to jump the post was wondering if anyone has ever had their coach light flicker while water pump is running any help will be great thanks
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #12

You can install a battery disconnect switch. That way when the kids take the keys the TT will be dark but you will have a full battery. The deep cell battery will loose a little run time each time you run them under 50%. But keep in mind the cost for a new battery is only $100 BUCKS. You could install a small solar panel to keep the battery always charged for $30. Like this one
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote