Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #1

Bed size on the Jay Feather 7 series

Trying to find the specifications on the bed sizes for our 17XFD. Our salesman mentioned it was 57x68. So right between the width of a queen (60) and full (54), but shorter than a standard bed (80).

Any of you with a Feather 7 series that can check and let us know? My wife is wanting to buy sheets and tailor them to the size, as opposed to buying RV sheets.

Thank you!!!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

I'll make a recommendation that will make your life simpler and setup faster. Because it's just a 4" thick piece of foam and not a "real" mattress, "making beds" in the traditional manner in a pop-up or hybrid is a painful prospect to us. We use a single sleeping bag laid out flat on top the mattress as a pad, then simply throw the pillows and a couple of comforters on top.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'll make a recommendation that will make your life simpler and setup faster. Because it's just a 4" thick piece of foam and not a "real" mattress, "making beds" in the traditional manner in a pop-up or hybrid is a painful prospect to us. We use a single sleeping bag laid out flat on top the mattress as a pad, then simply throw the pillows and a couple of comforters on top.
Thanks, Doc! I agree with you but the wife wants to make this space nicer and has already bought sheets. What we will end up doing is not modifying the sheets until we know. But what you describe is how we do our air mattress when we tent camp.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #4

The reason I brought it up is because I've heard of some people not liking hybrids because "it was too hard to make beds". Hope that doesn't become the case for your wife.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Oh not at all, we stayed in a pop-up and had a great time. The hybrid for us is a splurge that we are taking. The bed sheets are mainly for cover to the matress and we will use comforters and a heating blanket. Making the bed in the morning will prolly mean just tossing the comforter over it and calling it a day... LOL.

Do you use popup gizmos on yours and what's your take on them if so? I've read threads on them, but I appreciate your insight.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #6

I think use of popup gizmos is a personal thing. Some people swear by them. We've never used them. Camped in Nevada at 100+ and didn't feel like we needed them. Camped many times at 28-30 at night, didn't feel we needed them. Not to mention the extra setup time. Seems a hassle to me. Like "making" the bed, I like the KISS principle.

Of course all our setup time goes to setting up whirly-gigs now. Real simple...
Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #7

I had to google whirly-gigs! LOL. Yes, my wife will want setup time for her outdoor lights and pink flamingos!

I'm reluctant to buy too much extra stuff before our maiden voyage. Which is why I asked about your experience with it.

Just trying to get an idea of what is need vs. want when I'm reading all the info on this forum!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #8

Right there with you Jestoy, Im more confused on bedding now. Im looking the best and simplest solution for my hybrid bed arrangement. Not sure about putting a topper on there because then you have 2 layers to finagle? Any suggestions appreciated and if you know and measured the pad size for a X17Z please post it...Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #9

I use Tunces comforter over the mattress and my sleeping bag to one side and if I'm lucky there's room for me.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #10

Go with short queen size in sheets. I'd recommend mattress covers also, just to keep em' cleaner. We also have a 17z and use the covers and a sheet under sleeping bags. I know folks who do make their beds and just fold things up together. Takes a little more adjusting but it works.

As for pop up gizmos, we're in the northwest, and one of the things we deal with in cooler weather is condensation. Pop up gizmos help reduce that also, by being a second barrier. They do work to keep things cooler and warmer. Some folks like them and some don't want to deal. Like Doc Brown said, preference. Worth it for us.

@Tunce, I hear You! We've got two border collies who the beds are really for! We end up sleeping in different bunks, as they divide and conquer.
AskewDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:18 AM   #11

AskewDB, what kind of mattress covers did you get? The only ones I can seem to find are for regular mattresses(end up being huge on the 4" bed) I'd like to find something that covers the whole bed like you said mainly to protect it.
Irks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #12

We got ours at Camping World, but I don't see them there right now.
Found this one on Amazon, our second home for RV supplies!

http://www.amazon.com/SLEEP-Hypoalle...omotive&sr=1-1

It's the same size as the ones we got. 60" X 75" or 74" is the closest we've ever found. Because we're folding up the beds, the extra width means we don't have to take them off every time. We've also got dogs, so my wife also puts a sheet over the cover.
AskewDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #13

Thank you for chiming in!