Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Bike mount on rear of camper? X18D

Just wondering if anyone else has done this. I'd like to mount a receiver for a bike carrier on the back of our trailer. This was generally a discouraged thing to do on our old popup (and pop ups in general) but our camper has a very heavy unladen tongue weight for the weight of the camper (my thinking is that we are well over the rule of thumb 10-15% of trailer weight for laden tongue weight), so I was thinking this would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone: lighten the tongue and offload the bikes from the car.

It's obvious that the C channel metal bumper on the back is going to be too flimsy to mount anything to, so I was thinking in order to to this they'll have to bolt/weld a carrier to the frame and zip a hole in the bumper for the receiver. Anyone else attempted this?
geoffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Geoffdaddy,

I personally haven't added a bike rack to the rear of my TT, but I know many that have and the ones that have supported the racks off the TT or HTT frame (in lieu of just the bumper) seem to have the most long term success.

Great to hear that you are keeping an eye on what's going on with your "loaded" HTT tongue weight, not many folks take this very important element into consideration when loading or modifying their HTT.

Since you are considering adding weight to the rear of a rather lite HTT, you may want to take your loaded TV/HTT to a CAT scale first and find out what your "actual" loaded tongue weight is. The CAT scale information takes all the guess work out...., you may find that you are within the 10%-15% of your loaded HTT weight. At any rate, you will need to confirm the impact of the additional weight of the bike rack/bikes on your HTT tongue at a CAT scale.

Typical CAT Scale visit: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3169

Also, for checking tongue weights a Sherline LM-2000 scale is nice to have around, I use mine often: http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

geoffdaddy-- I just put a tool box on the rear bumper( see pics19h mods in the mods forum)& you are correct the bumper has all it can do to hold the plastics ends on. I would suggest that the bumper be boxed and tied to the rear cross member before adding any thing . Larry
Old 08-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #4

I have the mount that you are talking about on my 22FB, it has a 4" square bumper.
I have not have any issues with it. The bike rack carries 3 bikes, I strap them down to make sure they are not bouncing all over.

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
I have the mount that you are talking about on my 22FB, it has a 4" square bumper....snip
Big Jim,

Any pics to post by chance?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #6

Big Jim The problem with the smaller & lighter trailers is they have a real cheap "C" channel bumper which has a problem supporting the paint that's on it. It either has to be boxed & tied to the rear crossmember or replaced it and it's supports with a 4" sq tube like yours. Larry
Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #7

I talked to my dealer and they don't recommend welding anything to the frame due to warranty issues. That said, I wonder if I could bolt a 4" square tube bumper and get a receiver for that. Any idea where I can buy the tube from?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #8

You probably want to go to a welding shop. You will need to weld brackets at both ends of the last cross member & then to your new 4" sq bumper then the reciever to both. Larry
Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #9

Geoffdaddy,
I have been thinking of mounting a bike rack to the frame at the rear of my X19H as well (I really wanted to do it). After a lot of research I have decided against it.

First of all, I contacted Jayco and the frame manufacturer. Both advised against it, and both mentioned voiding the frame warranty. See Jayco’s response below.
Next, I went to a local RV welding shop with a very good reputation. The owner looked at my frame, and said it can’t safely be done, he won’t do it. The frame does not support it. (I am sure you can find some shop though who will just do it for the money).

Third: in another forum, I also got very strong advise against doing it. Besides the above, it was mentioned that our ultra light TT’s don’t have shocks. That apparently results in the bikes bouncing excessively back there. One poster reported that a handle bar had gone through the rear of his trailer, and another reported failure of the bike rack itself (weld broke).

Needless to say, I decided against doing it. I really, really wanted to do this as I also feel that my tongue is very heavy. I ended up getting a rack for the bikes to mount above the truck bed, and I will move cargo back into the trailer behind the axle. I made some slight mods to secure it back there.

Hope this helps in your decision making. While this may be fine for other TT’s and 5th wheels, I think our Ultra Light Weights are not made for this. I know this is not what you want to hear, it certainly was not what I expected when researching this topic a few weeks ago. But it makes sense, and the risk is too high IMO. You don’t want to lose the bikes on the highway.

Good luck, and let us know which way you go!

Here is Jayco’s exact response, copy & paste:

Jayco does not recommend attaching anything to the bumper or the frame
of your unit.

Should you decide to have a hitch receiver welded to the frame of this
unit and it causes any type of damage from doing so the warranty will be
voided in the area affected.

Unfortunately, not all units are built to hold a bike rack.

Should you need additional assistance please feel free to contact us.
2012x19h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012x19h View Post
Geoffdaddy,
I have been thinking of mounting a bike rack to the frame at the rear of my X19H as well (I really wanted to do it). After a lot of research I have decided against it.

First of all, I contacted Jayco and the frame manufacturer. Both advised against it, and both mentioned voiding the frame warranty. See Jayco’s response below.
Next, I went to a local RV welding shop with a very good reputation. The owner looked at my frame, and said it can’t safely be done, he won’t do it. The frame does not support it. (I am sure you can find some shop though who will just do it for the money).

Third: in another forum, I also got very strong advise against doing it. Besides the above, it was mentioned that our ultra light TT’s don’t have shocks. That apparently results in the bikes bouncing excessively back there. One poster reported that a handle bar had gone through the rear of his trailer, and another reported failure of the bike rack itself (weld broke).

Needless to say, I decided against doing it. I really, really wanted to do this as I also feel that my tongue is very heavy. I ended up getting a rack for the bikes to mount above the truck bed, and I will move cargo back into the trailer behind the axle. I made some slight mods to secure it back there.

Hope this helps in your decision making. While this may be fine for other TT’s and 5th wheels, I think our Ultra Light Weights are not made for this. I know this is not what you want to hear, it certainly was not what I expected when researching this topic a few weeks ago. But it makes sense, and the risk is too high IMO. You don’t want to lose the bikes on the highway.

Good luck, and let us know which way you go!

Here is Jayco’s exact response, copy & paste:

Jayco does not recommend attaching anything to the bumper or the frame
of your unit.

Should you decide to have a hitch receiver welded to the frame of this
unit and it causes any type of damage from doing so the warranty will be
voided in the area affected.

Unfortunately, not all units are built to hold a bike rack.

Should you need additional assistance please feel free to contact us.
I figured that would be their advice. I can see the point about the lack of any suspension putting stress on it and the bikes. I have thought another idea would be to stow the bikes inside next to the lavatory on a bike mount I fabricate myself to sit on the floor. That would probably be the next best bet. We've only got the two to worry about right now, and I think it's preferable to adding more weight to our TV.

I agree the camper is light, but man it seems like the tongue is rather heavy. I need to weigh it but dry weight of the camper is supposed to be 3600ish, and the tongue 470. I figure with the battery, spare tire, and a full tank of gas it's got to be nearer to 600 and most of that additional weight is going straight to the tongue.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #11

This is my dad's solution on his 23B. I'm not sure I'm crazy about this idea, but it's not like him to do something like this if he thought it would be a problem. What do some others think of this solution?
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikerack.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1662
(not sure if the picture will work - if not It is here)

so far I've just been bringing a couple of the kids bikes, so I've put them in the trailer on a blanket. I'd like to be able to bring mine as well, though, and there will come a day when all the kids will want bikes brought along. Not sure where I'm going to go with 5 kids bikes + mine and my wife's. I was also thinking about getting a roof rack for the van for them.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #12

goeffdaddy- Just to clear up a couple issues. 1. I don't think there are any tt's that have shocks. Our lightweights have torsion axels that provide the suspension.2. You don't have to weld anything to your unit, you can bolt on what ever you need to hold your bikes as long as you box the the bumper and tie it to the rearcross member as I did, with my toolbox in the mods section. My dw has traveled behind me and advised that the box does not move. Just my .02$ Larry
Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #13

A friend of mine put a bike rack on the 4 in square tube bumper on his 2006 Jayco and it ripped the thin metal and layed the bikes down on the road these bumpers are not strong enough for bike racks I was told that they would only support 100 pounds and with a spare tire there you are down to about 50 lbs and when the bikes bounce that puts a lot of strain on the bumper.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #14

Old blue-- You are probably correct as far as the 4'' sq tube goes. The "c" shape bumper must be boxed and tied to the rear cross member to provide the support required.As an fyi Our spare tires are mounted on the tongue. I happen to see a hybrid wit the same mount as el.jefe shows in his pics. I t look very secure and was not moving as I passed it this pm. Larry
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #15

we made a bike rack out of pvc for inside of our 23b to carry our bikes along.
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
As an fyi Our spare tires are mounted on the tongue.
Correct, and I am sure there is a reason for that.
2012x19h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #17

Geoff,

I have a 17C. The bumper is nothing more than a cosmetic piece of sheet metal. My little girl's tricycle could dent it. I add my bike-rack/rack to the frame.It's pined in 4 places to 4 receivers welded to the frame. No shaking/ rattling of the bikes as we head down the road. Bike racks fold flat so I can leave them on. I have added running lights and a extension with taillights so I can carry our go-kart up to the mountain.
Attached Thumbnails
bike-rack.jpg   bike-rack-back.jpg   bike-rack-side.jpg  
midnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #18

Nice setup! That would be really nice. We generally leave the bikes at home since it is such a pain.

PS - I like the Cozy Couple parking lot

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #19

Check out the "Mods" section for my solution to the incredibly weak rear bumper. Just posted it.
Equalizer E2 6000
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #20

This is the solution I finally settled on:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-16 15.55.39.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1858