Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #1

Bike Rack

Is anyone using an A Frame bike rack similar to the one below? I noticed the new hummingbird has it as an option, so wondering if it would be too much for my x23b. I've been trying to figure out how to bring the bikes along without eating up all my bed space.

weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #2

I have been looking at bike racks like this as well. Not sure on your model but I know that with a lot of the 2017 Jaycos have these racks are a factory option. It was for my 25BH. I would think it is a better option than the clamp around the square tube bumper which we all know is a bad idea. It will add to your tongue weight which normally isn't an issue as long as you are not pushing it for your vehicle.

I just looked at the Jay Feather X26B and it is listed as an option like on my trailer.

2 Bike Carrier Rack A Frame $262.

The only potential issue you may face is that you may have to take it apart partly to lower your front bunk if that cross bar with the receiver is too high. Normally the install of these involves setting the brackets on the A Frame then the upright bars are round so they swivel around to get the position right for that top cross bar. Once in place you drill some holes in the round tubes and bolt on the top cross bar. Some people have changed these nuts out for butterfly nuts so they can easily remove it. This is because they had to pull the mount if they needed to change a LP tank. This might be another factor you would run into. Some people reported they didn't have to take it apart if they went from the hard LP tank covers to the soft ones. Though I should point out what I was reading about was a modified version of this bike rack where it is a shelf rather than a rack. The shelf holds up to 300# which would be perfect for a generator.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

100% of whatever you put there goes to the load on your TV...take that weight into consideration.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

Yeah, I thought I included that part but yes whatever you put there will count toward tongue weight as well as go against cargo weight on the TV. Those are the two categories that I am hurting on when I run the numbers on paper so for me before I do something like this for a generator, I need to pick up my camper, load it out as we normally would then run it across a CAT scale to see where I am at. Bikes will weigh less but still a factor.

I should also mention that the Jayco version is a slightly different design. I have seen photos of it but can't seem to find it now. However it is the same concept.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #5

I think I found it. The one Jayco is installing as a factory option is the Lipert Jack-It or at least something that looks a lot like it.

This one has the optional bike rack on it but doesn't have the upper arms that hold the bike in place.

#05058 - 2017 Jayco Hummingbird 17RB for sale in Joppa MD
Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #6

Yes, I have the original version of this rack from Arvika out of Canada on an X19H. Works fine and lets you keep an eye on your gear. We use ours with a Thule Crosstrack 2 bike rack. There is still a bit of whip, but not too bad. Adds about 2/3 to the tongue, 1/3 to the TT axle (on a 21' trailer); the load point is at the very front of the TT box, so it doesn't all sit on the hitch. With your hybrid, make sure that you have an easily removable rack as you will probably have to take it down to drop the front bunk. only adds a couple of minutes to setup time.

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:30 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
We bought the Arvika rack and are very happy with it. After using it once, we bought the optional Telescopic Arm that attaches to the trailer's jack, making it much more stable. The unit does fold down , making it usable with a hybrid. It is a quality unit, and since we make it here in Canada, it's pricier .... but hey, 30 to 35 cents on your dollar takes care of that issue
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

I have the one in your picture with a rail bike rack. It is a bit of a pain to get the bikes installed but the bikes are rock solid.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
We bought the Arvika rack and are very happy with it. After using it once, we bought the optional Telescopic Arm that attaches to the trailer's jack, making it much more stable. The unit does fold down , making it usable with a hybrid. It is a quality unit, and since we make it here in Canada, it's pricier .... but hey, 30 to 35 cents on your dollar takes care of that issue
Could you post a picture of your setup. I can't seem to find it online to look at. Also, any idea what the whole rack system adds in weight?
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #10

Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate all the info.
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:53 AM   #11

The photo in the Original Post looks like the Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk.
That is available here for $206 and free shipping: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Strom...-p/95-5100.htm

I made a carrier with the Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray ($199 w/free shipping) and a MaxxHaul bike rack ($75 on Amazon)
Trailer Tray https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Trail...-p/92-1577.htm
Bike Rack https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7038...pb_opt?ie=UTF8

And here is my set up. When not hauling the bikes, I can remove the rack by undoing 4 bolts and then can use the trailer tray to haul something else. But nothing too heavy as it does impact the tongue weight. I am right at 15 percent when fully loaded and having weighed at a CAT scale.

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 PM   #12

Thanks for the pics and the idea of putting bikes IN FRONT of trailer instead of behind. I've been investigating the idea of re-enforcing rear bumper mounts for my Thule 4 bike rack and never thought of going in front up above the gas tanks. I am already very tight on my turning radius but may be able to work it out?
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Thanks for the pics and the idea of putting bikes IN FRONT of trailer instead of behind. I've been investigating the idea of re-enforcing rear bumper mounts for my Thule 4 bike rack and never thought of going in front up above the gas tanks. I am already very tight on my turning radius but may be able to work it out?
Arvika makes a 4 bike rack that goes over the tongue, but they are very pricey.
$500 for this part. https://www.racksforcars.com/15144/A...ke-Attachment/
and $300 for this part. https://www.racksforcars.com/2254/Ar...ailer-Bracket/
Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Arvika makes a 4 bike rack that goes over the tongue, but they are very pricey.
$500 for this part. https://www.racksforcars.com/15144/A...ke-Attachment/
and $300 for this part. https://www.racksforcars.com/2254/Ar...ailer-Bracket/
Yes, but those prices are in C$. C$500 is only US$375, and their shipping is pretty reasonable throughout North America.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Yes, but those prices are in C$. C$500 is only US$375, and their shipping is pretty reasonable throughout North America.
OK. Then. $600 total plus shipping in US dollars.
Still a bit on the pricey side when compared to nearly every other option.

From what I've read, it is a great product and gets very good reviews.
Now that several more companies are making an over-the-tanks rack, perhaps competition will drive their price down. There can't be more than about $100 worth of material in that thing.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #16

We thought about those racks but hauling around sea kayaks makes that impossible.. There isn't enough rear clearance after considering the 3 foot overhang of the 18 foot kayaks

And our TT is so dirty.. We can't quite wash it yet. Dirt ice and road salt in bikes is something we have to think about

We are storing inside.

Can't wait to wash our TT but the high today is one F.

So I am saving a bunch of money!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #17

Quote:
OK. Then. $600 total plus shipping in US dollars.
Still a bit on the pricey side when compared to nearly every other option.

From what I've read, it is a great product and gets very good reviews.
Now that several more companies are making an over-the-tanks rack, perhaps competition will drive their price down. There can't be more than about $100 worth of material in that thing.
I was looking at a shelf over the tanks rather than a bike rack. The thought is it can support our generator (yeah I am watching the tongue weight) when we boondock. Sometimes we go to a place with hookups and we could then mount bike racks to the platform.

I have two Thule fork mount roof racks from back when I mountain biked a lot. Well I need two more for the kids so it makes sense to just expand what I already have. Well they make a cheap one for $140 but most of their fork mount racks are about $200-250 per bike if I want to match my other racks. So I am looking at $400-500 for adding just two bikes to what I have. If I was trying to get racks for all 4 bikes I would be in the $800-1000 range.

I totally agree that they cost nothing even close to that much in materials but really the price isn't that far off if you look at options out there. Yakima isn't any different. They are in the $200 range for a fork mount rack.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #18

Guess I need to start building bike racks now.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
I was looking at a shelf over the tanks rather than a bike rack. The thought is it can support our generator (yeah I am watching the tongue weight) when we boondock. Sometimes we go to a place with hookups and we could then mount bike racks to the platform.
If you want a shelf over the tanks that can hold bikes or a generator, then I'd suggest the Stromberg-Carlson Trailer Tray (which is what I used in my photo posted earlier in this thread). Cheapest I've found is RV Upgrades store for $198 and free shipping. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Trail...-p/92-1577.htm
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #20

Quote:
If you want a shelf over the tanks that can hold bikes or a generator, then I'd suggest the Stromberg-Carlson Trailer Tray (which is what I used in my photo posted earlier in this thread). Cheapest I've found is RV Upgrades store for $198 and free shipping. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Trail...-p/92-1577.htm
Yep. That is the one I have been looking at. I was talking with my wife about it over dinner and found that very site. I was trying to find a photo rather than trying to explain it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk