Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #1

bike rack for jayco 19h

Just need some advice on best and safest bike racks to purchase for our jayco,adding two adult mountain bikes takes away needed space in the box of our 2011 silverado.Thanks for any advice and a merry christmas to the nicest people on the planet Campers
ebrian waterloo canada
ebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #2

My opinion only.
Best and safest bike rack is the Arvika over the tongue/propane tanks.
It folds down once you take off the bikes, so you can open the bed end of the trailer.
Also, you can see your bikes in your rear view mirror while driving, and there is much less bounce over the tongue than on the back of the camper.
However, Arvika is also one of the most expensive bike racks out there. But you do get what you pay for.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #3

You will get a lot of opinions. Personally, I like my setup, I have a 2" receiver hitch welded to the frame rails of the htt. The bumper is not strong enough any bike rack. I have a swag man 4 place platform bike rack. It is easy to load and unload.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You will get a lot of opinions. Personally, I like my setup, I have a 2" receiver hitch welded to the frame rails of the htt. The bumper is not strong enough any bike rack. I have a swag man 4 place platform bike rack. It is easy to load and unload.
Agree -- I have a custom welded frame to frame 2"'hitch and swagman 4 bike rack. Mine is the hanging rack, would have preferred the platform, but it wasn't "technically" approved for RV use where the hanging rack was. In retrospect I thought to much and should have just bought the platform and took my chances.

Custom hitch was $300 and bike rack was $180 -- very good setup for less than $500.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
My opinion only.
Best and safest bike rack is the Arvika over the tongue/propane tanks.
It folds down once you take off the bikes, so you can open the bed end of the trailer.
Also, you can see your bikes in your rear view mirror while driving, and there is much less bounce over the tongue than on the back of the camper.
However, Arvika is also one of the most expensive bike racks out there. But you do get what you pay for.
I'm not sure that would work with a 19h since the front (and back) fold down and form the beds like a pop-up.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

Jagiven and clubhouse can you post pics? We are doing a long trip and are avid mtn bikers. I have the 19h also. Jagiven, does the platform holdup to the whip effect of TT? My bikes are worth quite a bit!
Sw7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I'm not sure that would work with a 19h since the front (and back) fold down and form the beds like a pop-up.
I think it will work. Here's a video of a guy who installed it on his hybrid. He doesn't show it with the bed down, though.

Even if the support poles were too tall when folded down, they can be removed to lower the bed, and reinstalled when ready to travel again.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw7000 View Post
Jagiven and clubhouse can you post pics? We are doing a long trip and are avid mtn bikers. I have the 19h also. Jagiven, does the platform holdup to the whip effect of TT? My bikes are worth quite a bit!
Unfortunately I do not have any pictures and the HTT is in winter storage 100 miles from home.

My brother has followed me a few times and said there is very little bouncing compared to my old setup. I asked him and his DW who followed us on our Laber day trip to video it, so I could see myself, but they did not.

A coworker bought the Swagman 4 place about a two years ago, and stated he had no issues. Which is why I bought it, and I used the platform all year and no issues so far. I monitored the welds and such as I did read that it is not for RV use.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #9

This is the best thing I have found with my needs. Get a front hitch and carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
356.jpg  
Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:
We are heading for a trip over New Years, when I get the trailer out of storage on Monday for that trip I'll try to get some pictures.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #11

Jagiven, thanks for the response. I have Kuat 2 bike tray and it says it is not rated for RV's either. That is what I was worried about. I like the fact you had someone follow to monitor the rack. I think I might cut some .25 steel plate and sandwich bolt them to the frame rails and then weld a square tube between them.
Clubhouse, if you could get the pics that would be great.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #12

Here is a pic of the Swagman 2 bike rack I had on my hybrid trailer. When the rack was folded down the bed cleared by a few inches. The bracket that supported the rack had to be custom built to fit between the battery box and propane tanks.

Here is a pic (sorry the best I have) of the bike rack on our new Starcraft. I have a hitch welded onto the frame of the trailer with a piece of 2" square tubing bolted to the hitch. I have then attached two Swagman RV racks to the tubing so I can carry 4 bikes. It is a very solid rack with no extra bouncing to stress the system. Towed 4000 miles with it so far.

I eliminate all of the movement in the hitch with this.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Access...er/RM-061.html

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Here are a couple pictures on my custom hitch installation. You can see it was fabricated out of 2" square stock and welded frame to frame and integrated into the I-Beam. In center there is a could pieces of angle iron welded to add more support. The hitch shop told me this is exclusively to be used for a cargo carrier or bike rack -- NOT FOR TOWING.

Sorry -- can't seem to get the one picture turned correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch Pic 2.jpg   Hitch Pic 1.jpg   Hitch Pic 3.jpg  
Old 12-29-2014, 12:09 AM   #14

We use a front receiver and the truck and a Swagman platform rack. It has worked very well. Easy to load. Bikes are secure. This is the 3rd winter. Close to 20 000 miles so far.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #15

Thanks everyone really lots of help here,makes it somewhat easier to find what we need....
ebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #16

We had our Jayco dealer (Hilltop Trailer Sales MN) put one on the rear bumper and it is a receiver hitch when we get our 19h out of storage I will post pictures if you want
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #17

MNWild, that would be great. I would like to see as many variations as I can before I fab one.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrian View Post
Just need some advice on best and safest bike racks to purchase for our jayco,adding two adult mountain bikes takes away needed space in the box of our 2011 silverado.Thanks for any advice and a merry christmas to the nicest people on the planet Campers
ebrian waterloo canada
Here is what I did on my 19H:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...t=22261&page=3

As far as a front mounted hitch on the tow vehicle, if you're considering one, check before you do it. I was told by Virginia State police that it is illegal for me here in VA. Your state could be different.

Also,I would be careful fabricating one to mount to the rear of the 19H. I don’tknow about your, but the frame on my 19H isn’t an I beam. I don’t know what itis called, but the only way I can describe it is kind of like an “S”. Iconsidered trying it on mine until I saw the frame, and the very low clearanceI would have had.

IMO,a tongue mount, whether fabricated or purchased, is the best way to go on a19H.