Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

Brake and turn signal light not working.

The drivers side brake and turn signal light are not working on the trailer. The bulb is new and tested fine on the passenger side. Brake and turn signal function normally on truck. I have power to the 7 way plug on the truck for both. I noticed that the wiring goes through the trailer and I don't see a way to look at the wiring right behind the tail light housing. Any suggestions on what to do? By the way, the tail light does work, just not the brake and turn signal.
------ Jet Mass airflow sensor
------ Taylor TBI spacer
------ Magnaflow cat backdual exhaust
------ Roadmaster active suspension
joezaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

Some trucks have separate fuses for the trailer wiring including right and left brake/turn signal.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #3

Can you pop the cover off the trailer cable socket and make sure the wire for the left turn signal didn't come off? If it didn't, plug into truck with cover off (just make sure it in the proper position) and get a test light with the left turn on and see if you have a signal getting through from truck. If you do you gotta keep working down stream till you find the problem no matter how difficult locating the wires are. I would assume the ground is fine since the running light works on that side. Also check the bulb socket and make sure both terminal tabs are ok.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

I see you live in Milwaukee and your trailer is a 2011.
We live in Northern Minnesota and also have a 2011 (different model).
With the weather that we get, including salt on the roads even in the spring when we still get freezing temps, the contacts for our tow vehicle as well as the trailer can get corroded.

We've had a couple of years where trailer lights weren't working. I use electrical contact cleaner on both the male and female plug connections and it always does the trick. Everything on the trailer and on the truck is good, but the contacts are just dirty. Give that a try first before trying to examine for any wiring disconnections.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #5

Grumpy - my truck does not have a separate fuse for the trailer. I have power coming out of the 7 way from the truck. Thank you for the suggestion.

shadester - the wires did not come off. I used a volt meter to check the wires themselves and there is no power.

dewey02 - I live in Milwaukie Oregon, not Minnesota. There is no signs of corrosion at all with the connections.

Seems the wires go from the tail light directly into the trailer. There does not seem to be anywhere to access them. Right behind the tail light is where the electrical cable gets stored into. I do not know how to access that either. I was just hoping someone had an easy fix. I guess I will keep trying to track the wires down.

Thank you all for you help.
------ Jet Mass airflow sensor
------ Taylor TBI spacer
------ Magnaflow cat backdual exhaust
------ Roadmaster active suspension
joezaw is offline   Reply With Quote