Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
When I went to pick up my new trailer the breaks weren't broke it yet. You could feel drag on the trailer on 14 but not much to speak of.

I adjusted them on the 300 mile trip home but they never really grabbed good.

I got home and tightened the wheel bearings and adjusted the breaks again and they were much better, but still didn't grab like I thought they should.

I dealt with the breaks the way they were. They weren't consistent, they would feel good sometimes and sometimes they were light.

Over the winter I broke off the trailer plug outlet on the truck in some snow. In the spring I changed the outlet on the truck and the breaks work perfect now. On 14 I can lock all 4 of the trailer breaks no problem.

PS your wheel bearings need to be tightened after a few hundred miles. Loose wheel bearings can throw off adjusting the breaks correctly.

2015 Jayflight SLX 287BHSW
2002 F-250 Extended Cab 4x4 6.8
Teconsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #12

If you do adjust the brakes, look closely at the wires going to the brakes.

Around 1995, we were en-route to Lake Chelan heading down a long grade with my "86 Terry Taurus in tow, when I noticed the brakes on our '86 Bronco were fading badly. I told this to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) that our brakes were about gone and gave the the brake pedal one more push and was able to get her stopped.. County road with no shoulder and we waited literally over two hours for the wheels to cool to the touch. We weren't sure of the cause at that point.

Got to Chelan with the front rotors metal on metal and had the brakes replaced. We got the trailer back to our seasonal spot. A few days later, doing some routine fettling to the trailer, the son spotted the brake wires. They were poorly routed and rubbing against the propane pipe to the point of the insulation being gone and grounding against the pipe. If not for my then 13 year old son, I probably never would have spotted it.

2015 White Hawk 20MRB
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote