Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Brand new x23b

Hello everyone my family just got a brand new x23b and are getting ready for our first trip in it. I am wondering what I need to retro fit the LP quick disconnect set up to fit on a regular fitting for a LP grill. Also wondering about generators vs. solar. Any other tips from you guys would be great. Thank you.
Pmskifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #2

Welcome & congratulations!

Can't help with either question, we cook over the campfire, never use a gas grill camping. And we haven't boon docked since we had a pop-up! Sorry.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #3

Conrats! We got ours 2 years ago.

Most likely you will need an inverter/generator because it's so much quieter. I have settled on this one based on weight, being able to run everything on board including the A/C, reviews, etc. I have not purchased it yet but I will soon.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...generator.html

Have fun! I think you will love it!
Rog1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmskifter View Post
Hello everyone my family just got a brand new x23b and are getting ready for our first trip in it. I am wondering what I need to retro fit the LP quick disconnect set up to fit on a regular fitting for a LP grill. Also wondering about generators vs. solar. Any other tips from you guys would be great. Thank you.
Since your X23B is brand new, keep in mind that the hitch side of the trailer (front outside) is the most important area to keep protected from the sun fading and weather damage. In a perfect world we would always keep it perfectly waxed and protected, of course. But the front as you are towing is catching all the wind, dirt, and grit just eroding whatever protection you have. So, from experience, protect the the whole trailer with a good wax when you can but protect the front even more so with a fast application of spray wax in between the times you wax the whole trailer.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
This actually works the other way generally. You fit up the grill not the QC. The gas at the QC is already regulated down to low pressure by the main regulator on the TT. Unfortunately most of the travel grills (like the Coleman RoadTrip) are designed with regulators integrated to take full pressure gas from a 1lb bottle or 5lb tank.

There are mods here on the forum to remove the provided regulator from the grill and adapt to the low pressure QC. Lots of threads on this and easy to search. Someone has finally made a retrofit kit that you can purchase for the Coleman line. See post #6 on this thread:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...-up-34611.html

But personally, I don't use the QC. I have a T connector at both of my tanks to provide full pressure gas to my RoadTrip Grill and Gladiator Stove. Two 20' hoses provide lots of room to move the grill around. There are pictures of the most of the setup here:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...19h-37909.html

First couple of pics in post 3 and post 4 cover the Stove and propane T's.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #6

We have had our X23B for about 4 years now. Ours came with a small gas grill that mounts on the side of the camper just behind the tires under the awning. The trailer came with the propane quick attach already in place. When we got it I thought I would never use it, but it turns out I actually use it quite often. The 2015 brochure still list this as a standard feature on the X23B.

We went with two of the Honda EU2000's. You can run them in parallel for 4000 watts. You can also buy an extended run tank system for them. I cant even remember the last time we ran them together. The one EU2000 can run our AC provided we don't also try and run the Micro-Wave at the the same time.

We love our X23B. Have spent as long as 3 months in it at a time. Never felt cramped.
Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #7

First trip bugs

Well we just came back from our first trip and let me tell you I've got some bugs to figure out. First off my brand new battery was dead!!! The second I unhooked from the trailer NOTHING!! No power and the battery was dead. Good thing I had a generator. Fridge wouldn't work on propane only electric when I had the generator working. Tried to trouble shoot it there and couldn't figure it out. I even had some experienced guys there and they couldn't figure it out. But the propane worked for everything else. Then I tried to run the AC off the generator and nothing was coming out. Needless to say I have lots of kinks and bugs to chase
Pmskifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #8

Pmskifter,

I think that the fridge requires 12v power to run the propane system.

Make sure that after you get the battery situation fixed that you install a battery disconnect. When you take the unit in for service, the dealer WILL NOT keep it plugged into shore power.

Here are the items I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just surface mounted it to the battery box.

2016 Jay Feather X23B
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8 Class III 7290Lbs Factory Towing Pkg.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH - 1000Lb Bars (3 Dots)
Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control
sdax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

Welcome and Congrats....I have an X23B also.....you'll love it
Trophyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Well we just came back from our first trip and let me tell you I've got some bugs to figure out. First off my brand new battery was dead!!! The second I unhooked from the trailer NOTHING!! No power and the battery was dead. Good thing I had a generator. Fridge wouldn't work on propane only electric when I had the generator working. Tried to trouble shoot it there and couldn't figure it out. I even had some experienced guys there and they couldn't figure it out. But the propane worked for everything else. Then I tried to run the AC off the generator and nothing was coming out. Needless to say I have lots of kinks and bugs to chase
Hi: New here as well. We have just camped in our 2017 23B for only the 2nd time. We have had problems with our battery from the get go! This second trip was totally dry camping and our battery life only lasted about 7 hours. We had to run our generator twice a day and we only used the fridge and very very sparingly a light here and there and the water pump here and there. It was ridiculous. As far as the battery being dead, the same thing happened to us (SEVERAL TIMES). We called the dealer and they told us that we blew a fuse when lowering or raising the hitch. So we bought a ton of fuses at walmart. This does not seem logical to me to keep blowing it. The fuse is super easy to replace but boy is this battery "thing a pain in the butt". Good luck
DLinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinNH View Post
Hi: New here as well. We have just camped in our 2017 23B for only the 2nd time. We have had problems with our battery from the get go! This second trip was totally dry camping and our battery life only lasted about 7 hours. We had to run our generator twice a day and we only used the fridge and very very sparingly a light here and there and the water pump here and there. It was ridiculous. As far as the battery being dead, the same thing happened to us (SEVERAL TIMES). We called the dealer and they told us that we blew a fuse when lowering or raising the hitch. So we bought a ton of fuses at walmart. This does not seem logical to me to keep blowing it. The fuse is super easy to replace but boy is this battery "thing a pain in the butt". Good luck
This happened to me a few times when I first got my trailer home, speaking of your fuse blowing when raising or lowering the hitch. This will happen if you reach the limit of travel and keep pressing the button. For example, you begin to lower the trailer onto the ball of your hitch and the foot plate raises during this process, but at some point the foot plate can only raise until you reach the limit of travel. If you continue to push the button and your foot plate is all the way up you will overload that fuse and it will blow to protect from damaging the hitch jack motor. Stop before reaching the limit of travel when lowering and raising your trailer and you should never have this problem.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #12

Information on battery disconnect is correct. If the battery is not disconnected from the trailer the carbon monoxide detector and smoke detector will be drawing current and will eventually run the battery down just sitting in your driveway. Mine has a fuse in the battery box that i can pull and disconnect.

Did you have the fridge switch on auto? If so then the default is to use electricity, so when your generator is running it will default to electric. When you turned the gen off did the fridge automatically switch to propane? If so, then it is working correctly.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they usually put the smallest cheapest battery on these trailers. When my original battery died after about two years I upgraded to a higher capacity battery and can definitely tell a difference in how long I can operate on battery alone.
Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #13

thanks for that info. I'll tell the hubby as he is in charge of the hitch button so "it's technically his fault"...lol
DLinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #14

We also had the X23B for two years, and just traded itt in for a 5th wheel. Loved the trailer. Had eight people sleeping in. it on one occasion. Very reliable trailer. You're right though, the battery doesn't last long. The only bad thing was having to climb over the benbch to get in bed. Never had a serious problem with it other than the awning lights blowing, and the fascia plate coming loose around one of the beds. Good luck and have fun.
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote