Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Bunk end condensation, or a leak?

Being new to hybrids, and, coming from pop ups, we've never dealt with the condensation issue. I had read about it, so knew, to hope for the best, but not be suprised if we had it. We went on a four day outing, light rain on the first day, and, last morning. Temps started in the 60's, dropped at one point during the third night to the upper 20's, and, were in the 40's as we packed to head home. We ran the furnace our last two nights, keeping the inside in the lower to mid 60's.

Now, as we were packing to head home, I removed the front bunk mattress to check under it, and, to loosen the velcro flap that covers the box to bunk hinge. Along the flap, there were some pretty good sized puddles of water, as well as in a few spots under the matress. The rear bunk, where my son slept, was dry as could be. Did we experience condensation, or, a leak? I'm use to condensation/sweating on a tent, but, this was limited to under the front mattress only, none on the bunk canvas.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #2

Im far from an expert, but if you have large puddles I would say leak. I also have a hybrid and we get the condensation under our mattress. My wife read an article over winter talking about condensation in hybrids. It talked about buying foam tiles and place them under you mattress. This is suppose to help insulate and keep from getting condensation. I do not know if this will work, but its a try and its cheap. If it doesnt work we are not out a lot of money.

Soft Foam Floor Tiles and Interlocking Puzzle Mats from FoamTiles.com
Old 04-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddkiser07 View Post
Im far from an expert, but if you have large puddles I would say leak. I also have a hybrid and we get the condensation under our mattress. My wife read an article over winter talking about condensation in hybrids. It talked about buying foam tiles and place them under you mattress. This is suppose to help insulate and keep from getting condensation. I do not know if this will work, but its a try and its cheap. If it doesnt work we are not out a lot of money.

Soft Foam Floor Tiles and Interlocking Puzzle Mats from FoamTiles.com
Don't mean to change the subject but the tiles also make for a great floor. Keeps the floor warmer and it's great on our tired feet after long days on the trail.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

Also new to hybrids here, have a 2016 23F.

Only camped in it a few times since picking it up in Feb, but there were a couple times there was definitely no rain at all, and the bunk ends, especially the one my wife and I shared with a heated mattress, was utterly soaked.

We have since started to make sure that we have good ventilation, opening the bathroom roof vent, unzipping the end canvas about 4 to 6 inches on each bunk, etc.

It's a very common problem, and the greater the temp difference inside to out (warmer inside than out), the worse it will be.

Like most people that post about it, we had no idea it was an issue, and we did our research. Came from a pop-up which never had such an issue, which I'm reading is because the Hybrids are so much better insulated from the outside, so the warm moist air inside can not exchange as easily with the cooler dryer air outside. Make it a point to help that happen and it should help.

It's an issue I wish I would have known about, it might have pushed me away from a hybrid into a smaller traditional TT. I am extremely concerned about issues with delamination, etc, due to the moisture buildup.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post

We have since started to make sure that we have good ventilation, opening the bathroom roof vent, unzipping the end canvas about 4 to 6 inches on each bunk, etc.

It's a very common problem, and the greater the temp difference inside to out (warmer inside than out), the worse it will be.
Did you notice a difference in inside temps when you ventilated it to avoid moisture? We bought a dehumidifidier in preparation.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

Might be a bit of condensation. I rarely ever remove the hinge cover anymore.

If it is a leak, I suspect it is noting more than how the outside skirt was placed. When I open the bunk, I straighten out the skirt, but at the intersection between the hardwall and the bunk end I spend an extra moment to ensure any rain water will flow down and away from the hinge.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #7

Jagiven, what do you mean "remove the hinge cover anymore"? The velcroed flap at the base of the bed? I never have done that, and was not instructed to. Why did you do that?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by navymommy View Post
Jagiven, what do you mean "remove the hinge cover anymore"? The velcroed flap at the base of the bed? I never have done that, and was not instructed to. Why did you do that?
The owners manual says to pull it back before closing the bunk ends. I did once or twice, but I noticed it never got into the hinge.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 04-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #9

[QUOTE=twoballscrewball;396702]Also new to hybrids here, have a 2016 23F.

Only camped in it a few times since picking it up in Feb, but there were a couple times there was definitely no rain at all, and the bunk ends, especially the one my wife and I shared with a heated mattress, was utterly soaked.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

A heated mattress is a BIG no no in a Hybrid and I don't care how many windows you have open. I would suggest on top of your mattress a memory foam pad about 1-1/2" thick, your bed sheet, you, your top sheet, then a heating blanket. I mentioned in another post that I have the Jayco heating pad but I never ever plug it in, I only use it as an insulater to keep the cold from coming up and the heat from going down.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
I am extremely concerned about issues with delamination, etc, due to the moisture buildup.
It's condensation, not saturation. That said condensation dries quickly. We're on our second hybrid. The first was an '03 that we owned for 10 years. As said, keeping a flap or window open a bit pretty much alleviates it. And we never had any problems with delamination.

Don't let negative Internet posts about hybrids worry you. The perceived issues with hybrids are few and far between. In fact hybrids are no better or worse for issues than any standard TT.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
It's condensation, not saturation. That said condensation dries quickly. We're on our second hybrid. The first was an '03 that we owned for 10 years. As said, keeping a flap or window open a bit pretty much alleviates it. We never had any problems with delamination.

Don't let negative Internet posts about hybrids worry you. The perceived issues with hybrids are few and far between. In fact hybrids are no better or worse for issues than any standard TT.
X2, I do not worry about a little consensation, I glance for it when packing up, when traveling the matress is standing up and the surface will dry up quickly. It's only surface moisture. It's usually almost dry by the time I'm packed up.

As for a heated mattress pad, we use them all the time in the cool weather. I have not seen it make any difference in condensation. It does keep me happy as I am warmer.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #12

I think the easiest way for me to tell, would be to open the bunk end up the next time we have rain forcast, and, leave the mattress on the dinette. I do have to take it in soon for some warranty work, so, I may just have them check that bunk area while they have it.
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #13

Funny, because we never had a heated mattress before, but since we saw it was an option on another 23f we almost bought, my wife decided she wanted them.

[QUOTE=Tunce the traveler;396771]
Quote:
Also new to hybrids here, have a 2016 23F.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A heated mattress is a BIG no no in a Hybrid and I don't care how many windows you have open. I would suggest on top of your mattress a memory foam pad about 1-1/2" thick, your bed sheet, you, your top sheet, then a heating blanket. I mentioned in another post that I have the Jayco heating pad but I never ever plug it in, I only use it as an insulater to keep the cold from coming up and the heat from going down.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote