Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #1

Bunks ends leak in storage

Have 2008 X23B and we love it. But we are starting to have some water issues on the rear bunk end. We seam to be getting water in while it is in storage mode.

It is not coming from the roof. There is no water damage inside as if water was coming from the roof and dropping into the canvas.

I do notice some water damage on the wood at the legde the matress sits on during storage. but I think that is getting in by design. There is no seal on the center hinges. But this would not casue water to collect on the canvas while in storage.

Has anyone had this problem or know what to do? There has to be a bad seal somewhere, but I can't find it. We are talking about getting a camper cover? Any ideas?

Thanks
Matt & Michelle
2008 Jayco x23B
2012 Silverado Z71
mburmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Matt,

Assuming it's not a condensation issue, check along the edge of the trim plate that lays on top (goes around the outer edge) of the Filon bunk end cap..., my brother in-law had to put some caulking along the edge to stop moisture from working it's way in.

Also, the top and/or side seals may need replacing. May want to give it the garden hose test and see what happens.

Just thinking out loud.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #3

I bought a 23b a few months ago. I noticed some water in the same place. I am in the process of replacing the rubber seal around the bunk ends. The old seal looked smashed and cracked. I also called a jayco dealer, they did replace the whole bunk ends on some 2008's to the newer 2009 design. I asked about doing this to mine and was told it is only done under warranty. From what a can tell, jayco changed the hinge and the locking device (not 100% sure). He suggested to put a seal on the camper and the bunk ends so the meet when closed. I used an Ameritrim rubber seal 3/8 x 1/2.

Hope this helps.

2008 23b
2005 Chevy Avalanche
:newbie:
caseymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #4

I had the same problem with mine and it was under warranty. They had to replace the whole bed end and the locking handles, along with the wood inside. The leak was caused by the rivot going bad on the locking handle, in the pivot point.This caused the bed end to not seal tightly and any wind would create an opening and closing allowing water intrusion!!!
Jayco1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #5

I know it's probably pretty obvious but make sure that top seal does not have any of the tent end stuck in it as it does not take much to break that seal!!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #6

thanks for the info, Casey... i'm looking to upgrade that seal to a newer rubber style, and like you said, also putting something on the bunk end as well...

ours doesn't see much rain, as we have it in a covered storage, but on the road is where i want it to be the most water-tight... seems i'm usually driving in rain at some point wherever we go.

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #7

I also had the same problem on a 2008 23B. I used small weather stripping around inside bunk end flange. Worked perfect, its been over a year with no leak.
jfry30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #8

I had the same problem last year with my 2010 23B. My rear bunk door was bowed out just ever so slightly in the center which caused it to protrude just a little past the rain gutter above it. The dealer first tried replacing the seal and when that didn't work Jayco replaced the entire rear bunk end door as warranty work. I was very pleased with Jayco's handling of the problem and it hasn't leaked a bit since.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #9

bunk end leaks

I like the weather stripping inside edge idea. I do notice that the top of the bunk end in the center seems to have some play, but it is under the gutter ledge. I had the outter seal replaced a year ago, but that does not seem to have fixed the problem.

For those that changed the bunk end. Did you contact Jayco directly or go thru a Jayco dealer. Since I bought new in 2008, I am sure I am out of warrenty now.

We are talking about getting a cover for it while it is in storage. This should help extend the life.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #10

Do you lock the handles in place or do you just close it up without locking the locks??? leaving it unlocked doesn't seem to secure the handles as well and the road vibration creates opening and closing if it is in any way loose!! THis may be the reason for the moisture while going down the road!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #11

It has the older twist locks that require a T-bar key to lock. So we lock them. I looked at the seal last night and it is good, but I don't think they relaced it with the correct type when comparing it to the front bunks. Putting a second seal on the bunk door itself sounds like a good idea.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #12

I contacted Jayco, but because I was the second owner they would not do anything for me. If you are the original owner, I would contact them they might help you out. The weather strip worked great for me. If you need pictures I can take a few and send them to you. let me know
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #13

Can you send some pics of the weather stripping? I assume you are using a simple weather strip on the bunk bed board itself. So you have a seal to seal contact when seal is closed.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #14

I will take some pictures today and give you the exact measurements of weather strip.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #15

The weather strip is 1/4'' Wide and a 1/8'' thick I am attaching some pictures. Its pretty simple, stripping around the edge of flange. The stripping is grey so you should be able to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1385.jpg   IMG_1386.jpg   IMG_1388.jpg   IMG_1391.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #16

We had a hybrid for years.. The hybrids are designed with a kind of track area behind the seals that allows any water that gets in past the seals (while in transport mode ) to run down and exit next to the hinge at the bottom. The dealership showed this to us.. And after that I made sure that this area was kept clear. If you look at the canvas on your unit right whe it meets the hinge.. You will see this exit groove. Finding out about this caused us to make sure that area was kept clean and also helped us to not over react if a few drops of water got passed the seal. We also had our seals replaced on our unit and payed the dealership to do this.. For which they charged us $1200.00. If you keep a close eye on this and make sure you check it and dry it after trips.. You can avoid damage.
Ideally no water should come in... But I have hears from others as well, that when travelling in heavy rain it can happen.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #17

crud, i've got some of that out in the shop! i could make that happen today.... i'm going to replace my funky soft seal that came OEM with the newer, rubber seal... then add the weather stripping to the bunk end, and call it good...

not getting any leakage, but that standard seal is already falling apart on ours... why would they not use a rubber seal? or at least one a bit more durable?

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #18

Can someone please post pictures of the weather stripping inside?
I also have a 2008 23B with some water damage on the front bunk end near the hinge.
Thanks.
Luv2camp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #19

I posted pictures, they are two replies up from your request. I can post them again or email them, let me know
Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #20

bunk end leaks

Would someone be able to post pictures of their fixes? I have a 2008 23B (used) and just noticed some funny looking wood on the front bunk.
Also, for anyone with this model, where is the sewer hose holder? It is noted in the brochure, but I don't know where it is
Thanks for any info and happy camping this summer!
Luv2camp51 is offline   Reply With Quote