Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #21

Interesting on the ac vent.

As for the awning, i thought the same thing last weekend when we opened ours up in the driveway, the power awning is super handy, but at one point on each side it is just a hair over 6' high. I can just barely clear it without getting minor brain surgery, but once we are camping and not on a concrete driveway it may become very irritating at times.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisanpaul View Post
I'm not impressed with the awning, could be a little higher when fully opened, I'm 6'and can't walk under it without a getting a haircut
Did you look at the arms of awning? The power awning on my x23B has arms that are adjustable so you can change the angle.

When all the way up, my awning is almost flat. When all the way down, the end is probably 2 feet lower.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #23

awning adjustment

I was wondering why the awning bars were so low,so I looked and looked for an adjustment,I found a clip on each side that I popped out and the awning went up considerably higher, still too low, its like the awning bars should be mounted a little higher on the frame. They use special rivets so I can't drill them and get more clearance. The good thing is as I age I shrink so in a while I'll glide right under.
Still love the trailer.
Still the right size for us.
The selling dealer said nothing about an adjustment.
Paul
paisanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #24

There is an adjustment on the awning arms.
Paul
Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #25

Anyone have a picture of the adjustment? i need to prop mine up a bit if i can before the season starts, was looking at it last night but didn't see what appeared to be an adjustment
Old 04-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm9301 View Post
Anyone have a picture of the adjustment? i need to prop mine up a bit if i can before the season starts, was looking at it last night but didn't see what appeared to be an adjustment
I can get a picture tonight when I get home...

But in the meantime, there's a row of holes on the side of the awning and one of them will have a detent ball in it.

You press the detent ball in and pull/push on the arm till it pops out into a higher/lower hole.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 04-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post

But in the meantime, there's a row of holes on the side of the awning and one of them will have a detent ball in it.

You press the detent ball in and pull/push on the arm till it pops out into a higher/lower hole.
Ok ill have a better look when i get a chance, but i don't recall seeing these.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #28

I'm putting pics up but theyll be in photos
Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Here's a pic of my x23B awning arm (anybody know how to keep the board from rotating the image?) (answer, ensure no dimension of the pic is more than 1200 pixels)
Attached Thumbnails
20160413_200602.jpg  
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 04-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #30

Thanks Charles, i looked at my trailer last night and saw the same thing. Ill work on adjusting them this weekend and see if its a little less dangerous, will post results!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #31

We've had our 16xrb for a year now and love it! My husband and I with our two dogs have done weekend trips plus a long vacation last summer to South Dakota for two weeks. We tow with a 2014 Toyota Tacoma. The 16xrb has much more storage space than our previous pop-up. I can fit two week's worth of meat in the freezer. To help with clutter, we have hanging hooks on the bathroom door for jackets, and a hanging shoe storage bag on the wall behind the toilet for all the shampoo, etc supplies. Strangely, the only minor problem I am still trying to figure out is what to do with all the shoes! They end up scattered all over the floor! Maybe this year I'll have an epiphany on what to do to keep them tidy!
BonnieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #32

Well i played with the Awning adjustment this weekend, and it turns out i was already at the Max height. At its lowest point the awning arm is 6'1" off the ground on either side with a level driveway, i may have to rig up a cover for that low point to stop heads getting banged into it.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #33

Had my 16XRB for a year....

We enjoyed ours last year - haven't taken it out yet this year. That said, there are some things I wish were different.

I'm 5'8", and I'm glad I have a bunk all to myself, because I have to sleep at an angle to feel like I'm not leaning up against the canvas. (DD & friend get the other bunk)
I can't sit on the sofa comfortably - drives my back crazy. I wish I had a bigger sofa that could also be a bed.
I would love to have an oven.

I bought this one because I thought my Honda Odyssey could tow it, and although the weight is under the 3,500 lb limit for the Odyssey, the torque is not really a good fit. The van is only happy when we are on a flat road at 50 MPH, which does not work on the interstate going through the mountains. I'm renting a 3/4 ton truck for our next mountain trip.

Hope this helps!

--Sarah
Sarah94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #34

We just got our 2017 a few weeks ago and love it! It's a perfect fit for us and Barney, a 60 pound Plott hound mix. We tow with a 4.2L I6 Trailblazer rated for 4,000 pounds and it works fine in flat land with low rolling hills. Can't imagine a better trailer for us! : )
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm9301 View Post
Well i played with the Awning adjustment this weekend, and it turns out i was already at the Max height. At its lowest point the awning arm is 6'1" off the ground on either side with a level driveway, i may have to rig up a cover for that low point to stop heads getting banged into it.
Split a pool noodle and bungee it to the arm (bungee not shown here). $3 in material costs...

Bright yellow means you'll probably see it before you hit it.

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #36

Has anyone used these for camping in 30 degree weather? Any complaints about the pop out beds being too cold?
Cgruetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgruetz View Post
Has anyone used these for camping in 30 degree weather? Any complaints about the pop out beds being too cold?

We've done the mountains with nights in the low 40's - maybe even upper 30's. Something extra under the mattress will help with temperature and condensation. I got wool blankets before, trying foam floor squares this fall. You might have to crack a window just a bit to help the condensation. But the heater kept it warm enough. I slept in a sleeping bag with a warm fuzzy blanket to wrap around my shoulders and wore sweats to bed, and the only part of me that was cold was my nose :-)

Hope this helps!
Sarah94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #38

Define "too cold"...

I've used a tent at -50 F....

The family has been comfortable in our x23B into the 30's.

Turn the heater on, perhaps the AC fan to circulate the air better if you want. And some dencent sleeping bags and you'll be fine.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 08-21-2017, 01:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah94 View Post
We've done the mountains with nights in the low 40's - maybe even upper 30's. Something extra under the mattress will help with temperature and condensation. I got wool blankets before, trying foam floor squares this fall. You might have to crack a window just a bit to help the condensation. But the heater kept it warm enough. I slept in a sleeping bag with a warm fuzzy blanket to wrap around my shoulders and wore sweats to bed, and the only part of me that was cold was my nose :-)

Hope this helps!
We just spent two weeks at 9000ft in CO. 42 at night.
The beds got a little chilly around the corners, on our fold outs on the 16XRB.
I have already researched the bed warmers on Amazon.
Condensation is my only issue. We had it on the top, sides and even under the mattress; even when running the heater.
I stayed dressed mostly, long johns, or jeans, or warmups. Was in a sleeping bag also, just to minimize all the blankets.
My observation, is the space is tiny, the thermostat is too close to the heater, and it didn't heat up enough to cool down the pop outs.
It heated the air, and made my face hot, but shut off before any of the materials in the camper could be made warmer.
So the solution I think is the bed warmers.
Side note: We put reflective 'windshield' reflectors on the fold out that got the most sun to keep it cooler in the day (high of 74), 90 in those fold out ovens in the sun.
That cut a mountain of heat, reduced the condensataion where they were (on top mostly).
I heard of putting those under the mattress to reflect the body heat, mattress heat, and camper heat, but didn't try, only had 2 for outside.
...just some ideas.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #40

Literally just got back from 20 days on the road with our 2015 16XRB.

- 5 total people
--2 adults on one bed end
--2x12 year olds on the other bed end
--1x2 year old on the fold-down

- Tow vehicle
--2017 Kia Sedona 6cyl - max towing capacity of 3500
--transmission cooler installed by Mr Transmission

- Terrain covered
-- Eastern Ontario to Banff and Jasper Alberta and back ... so yeah, Rocky Mountains

I kept it not-fully-loaded for a reason - weight for an 8700km trip (I even drank instant coffee for 3 weeks!! *gasp*). Each person had 4 changes of clothes (well, the baby probably had 8). Food essentials in the upper cupboards. Beer/wine essentials and basics in the fridge ... but it was full of food a few times. Although we had some "normal" cutlery/pots/plates, We decided to go with biodegradable most mornings in order to get on the road quicker.

My normal gas mileage along mostly-flat terrain was about 18.7L/100km ... up at 21.9L/100km in more mountainous areas. For the most part, average speed was 102km/hr ... sometimes some stress going up steep mountains brought it down to 80km/h. One day in the heat and foothills, transmission fluid temp hit 108F ... not a bad temp for Asian 6cyl, but about as high as I wanted it to go.

Suffered brake fade between Banff and Jasper on one long downhill ... only the trailer brakes sounded like they were functioning. Rather scary, really.

I'm carrying 2 x 20lb propane tanks, but only one hooked into the system - the other is for a) connecting to my external BBQ and/or b) as a backup if the first one empties - which it did on about the 8th day (although I cannot guarantee how full it was to start, as it came with the trailer, used) - my backup tank then was empty on day 19.

Kept the furnace set evenings at about 15C ... and sometimes ran it in the mornings to try and burn off some of the condensation on the bed ends. It was a necessity some of those mountain nights/mornings.

Similar condensation issues that are always reported with hybrids or tent-trailers ... but over 20 days it becomes more annoying :-) It felt like we were having a minor drip in one bed end during torrential rain. One morning after extensive rain all night, the dining window frame was SO covered with condensation, it dripped all over the fold-up bed and actually thought I had a real leak.

Adults are both about 5'8" ... and, if I place my pillow properly, I can lie flat on my back and stretch out fully no issues. We used a memory foam topper for a little bit extra comfort due to a minor hip ailment.

My biggest POTA: the grey water tank seems so tiny! Black never filled, but after some evening dishwashing, post-washroom drying of hands, and a very brief shower for the baby, it always seemed to then fill up. Both tanks were always dumped before hitting the road. I typically kept a couple of litres of freshwater in the tank if we had to stop to pee during our drive of the day.

EDITED to add: my other "annoyance" is the lack of space of the "personal items" for 5 people in the bathroom. My have to install something above the toilet. Not a killer issue, just a bugger.

Overall: pleased with the 16XRB. Even my wife - who did NOT grow up camping - had very few complaints. Might even upgrade both Tow Vehicle and Trailer a few years down the road.