Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #1

Camp Sites on slope

I'm a new 16XRB owner that ran into a problem with an uneven slope on the last site we were at. We like the sites near water that often slope down making it hard to get the trailer level. I tried my best to use the stabilizer jacks and blocks on one side to even out the trailer but ended up bending one jack when the tounge pole slipped off the wood it was on. Gave us quite a scare. Newbie mistake. Just wondering if stabilizer jacks and stabilizer blocks are all that is required to level our trailer on a bad slope or is there something else for those bad slopping sites with the good views?! Or do u leave those sites to the tent campers?

Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

Wheel chocks.
Don't skimp on wheel chocks.

Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #3

Your stabilizer jacks are not designed to carry the weight of an RV.. Yes Chocks on all wheels. At some point if the amount of blocks gets too high it's just not worth it.. Higher you stack blocks the more unstable they become, and less movement it takes for a jack to fail or move.. Good Luck...
Old 07-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #4

Stabilizer jacks are just that....stabilizers. You need to level side to side by placing blocks under the tires. Front to back with the tongue jack using a wide, stable set of blocks to avoid too much lift from the jack.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #5

We've had a couple close calls on slopes so we've gone the 'belt and suspenders' route:
Solid Rubber Wheel Chocks with Handle (8-3/4" Length, 4" Width, 6" Height) plus Camco brand 'X' chocks and Camco Leveling blocks.

In addition, using 4x4 lumber, I glued and screwed together a tower, roughly 14" square and 14" tall for the tongue jack. I had one too times where the stacked wood under that jack slipped or tipped.

Like others have said, trailer stabilizers are not for raising your trailer. They are to reduce the rocking from side to side.

Maybe, too, consider setting up in a better spot, a bit further from the water.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #6

Once level side to side, with blocks, then seure wheel chocks for the conditions.disconnect from the tv, level, front to back, add X chocks. Deploy stabilizers, once on the ground, give an extra 1/4 turn. Do not lift with the stabilizers.

For the tongue, always use a large enough block of wood, to ensure the tongue is stable.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #7

Our trailer only has 2 rear wheels so the X chock is not an option for us I'm guessing? I've seen some people drive the trailers wheels onto planks of wood to raise one side up but I'm weary of that too. Is there wheel chocks someone can reccomend that could be used to raise one side of a trailer with only 2 wheels? Or am I missing the point of wheel chocks? I thought they were just to stop wheels from moving down a hill. I'm looking for the safest way to prop up one side of the trailer(typically the side with the awning). It was a real pain walking around, eating and sleeping on a slant.
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #8

This is the best leveler I have found for a single axle trailer, you can raise one side up to 4 inches. Here is a link to it on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...derson+leveler
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #9

I second this simple quote as well! We had a lesson learned and a scare once, and never again forget to chock all wheels before anything else is done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Wheel chocks.
Don't skimp on wheel chocks.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
Our trailer only has 2 rear wheels so the X chock is not an option for us I'm guessing? I've seen some people drive the trailers wheels onto planks of wood to raise one side up but I'm weary of that too. Is there wheel chocks someone can reccomend that could be used to raise one side of a trailer with only 2 wheels? Or am I missing the point of wheel chocks? I thought they were just to stop wheels from moving down a hill. I'm looking for the safest way to prop up one side of the trailer(typically the side with the awning). It was a real pain walking around, eating and sleeping on a slant.
We camp on a sloped beach at least 10 days a year, and every time we do there is a new opportunity to level. We carry a shovel with us along with wood blocks for leveling. The Uphill side, we dig where the tire will lower into the hole, then level the rig on the downhill side with blocks. This helps out with the overall height our rig ends up on the downhill side, avoiding a giant step to get into our Motorhome. Same is true with a trailer.

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote