Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I'm willing to bet you'll trade out the SUV b/c of this. And once you do THAT - you'll get annoyed w/ the sacrifices in the X17z (cargo capacity probably bubbling to the top of the list very quickly). Then you'll end up w/ a bigger truck that begs for a 'proper' trailer.

This is how/why I said it would have been WAY cheaper in the long run for me to get the X19h from the get-go. I could have put more in IT, saving the payload on my tow vehicle, and likely had a very similar 'feel' behind the steering wheel.
This is exactly what I did too. The forums are full of this exact story, it's expensive and don't want you to fall into the trap.

Ours is slightly different ...

Owned a Tahoe, wanted a 29QBH but settled for the 26BH. Tahoe woukd pull it, mountains were struggle, so we upgraded trucks. Didn't want to mess with another 1/2 ton so bought the Duramax. 6 months later realized I the 26BH was a bit to much of a compromise so we sold it and bought the 29QBH -- where I should have started.

It cost us, at least $5000, in unnecessary depreciation, and it was only that low because we private party sold the 26BH and bought the 29QBH private party used from a family going through a divorce and need it paid off and gone.

Lessons learned for me -- I certainly hope you can avoid all this.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #22

Have been reading this thread with interest. It occurred to me perhaps a heavier (Load Range E tire vs Load Range C) tire might help - at least a little. Pursuant to that premise. I called 2 different tire companies and Chevy (since I use a '13 1/2T Silverado to haul my 154BH JAYCO). Both tire places said the heavier tire would help "stabilize" towing (because of the thicker tire wall) and help MARGINALLY with the carrying capacity of the vehicle. However, they opined 1/2T springs are 1/2T springs and nothing short of overload springs will alter that. Chevy has yet to return my call, but I suspect they're going to tell me something similar. Should Chevy advise radically different, will advise.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Have been reading this thread with interest. It occurred to me perhaps a heavier (Load Range E tire vs Load Range C) tire might help - at least a little. Pursuant to that premise. I called 2 different tire companies and Chevy (since I use a '13 1/2T Silverado to haul my 154BH JAYCO). Both tire places said the heavier tire would help "stabilize" towing (because of the thicker tire wall) and help MARGINALLY with the carrying capacity of the vehicle. However, they opined 1/2T springs are 1/2T springs and nothing short of overload springs will alter that. Chevy has yet to return my call, but I suspect they're going to tell me something similar. Should Chevy advise radically different, will advise.
Doesn't matter if you put overload springs on it or different tires. Whatever is on the door label is your cargo capacity. Granted, these items may help, but may not if you are at the max GCVW or GVW.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote