Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #1

City water fill?

Does attaching a water hose to the city fill, fill the fresh water tank? Or does that connection just feed the trailer on pressure thru water lines?

I want to fill my fresh water tank for dry camping. It has a gravity fill inlet, is it as simple as filling the tank thru there with a potable water hose supply?
ashmanbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanbrian View Post
Does attaching a water hose to the city fill, fill the fresh water tank? Or does that connection just feed the trailer on pressure thru water lines?

I want to fill my fresh water tank for dry camping. It has a gravity fill inlet, is it as simple as filling the tank thru there with a potable water hose supply?
Since your unit has a gravity fill inlet, that is the inlet to fill your fresh water tank.

I just stick my fresh water hose end into the gravity fill inlet, wait until water begins to flow out the overflow tubes, then shut off the water supply. Done.

BTW, many of us have plugs for the fresh water overflow to prevent water loss on the road. Those plugs need to be removed before filling and reinstalled after filling.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

Attaching a hose to the city water connection does NOT fill the fresh water tank. It just feeds the trailer on pressure through the lines. However, if your water heater is not in bypass mode, it will fill that up.
The gravity fill inlet is where you fill the main tank. However, if you have not filled the water heater, you will have to turn on the water pump and fill the water heater. Usually that is 6 gallons. Also, be advised, when filling the water heater, you may want to periodically open the pressure relief valve to let the air pressure out.
Also, of important note is to be aware, when filling the main water tank, there is an over fill relief which will start dumping underneath the TT when the tank is full. Sometimes, you can lose as much as a third of a tank through siphon effect due to sloshing when traveling. So you will have filled your FW tank at home and when you get to your camp you find that your FW tank is now only 3/4 full.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
BTW, many of us have plugs for the fresh water overflow to prevent water loss on the road. Those plugs need to be removed before filling and reinstalled after filling.
Thanks to OldmanAZ, I lost my train of thought on this part. I installed a ball valve shut off to my overflow tube so that I can close it when in transport.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Since your unit has a gravity fill inlet, that is the inlet to fill your fresh water tank.

I just stick my fresh water hose end into the gravity fill inlet, wait until water begins to flow out the overflow tubes, then shut off the water supply. Done.

Thanks . Will doing that also fill the water heater?
Old 01-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #6

You will have to turn on the water pump to fill the water heater. Remember, to open the pressure relief valve on the water heater while the pump is running and filling it. Once you have water streaming out of the pressure relief, shut off the pump, then close the pressure relief. Another method is to turn on the pump and open a faucet on the hot side only. Once water streams out steady, close the faucet and turn off the pump. This has the advantage of charging the water lines.

Prior to doing this make sure your hot water heater is not bypassed if you had the unit winterized.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:

So fill the fresh water tank first with the gravity feed, then turn on the water pump and continue gravity feed to fill water heater? Correct?
Old 01-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #8

well you have to turn on hot water faucet in camper and bleed the air through it with the pump on ... it should eat about 6 gallons of fresh tank water then you can finish filling it
Old 01-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #9

oh and make sure you never turn the hot water heater on until you have a solid stream of water from the hot water side of the faucet
Old 01-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #10

Quote:
So fill the fresh water tank first with the gravity feed, then turn on the water pump and continue gravity feed to fill water heater? Correct?
If you want, you can turn on the pump while the water is filling your fresh water tank... you don't have to wait for the tank to be completely full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
oh and make sure you never turn the hot water heater on until you have a solid stream of water from the hot water side of the faucet
You can leave the water heater elements OFF while running water through the water heater, like Paintinfool3 said. You just want to be sure there is water IN the water heater before either the electric or gas is heating the unit.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote