Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Cleaning Tips for Canvas fold outs

Hey everyone,
I am a first time owner of a hybrid and was wondering what was the best way to preserve the canvas on the fold outs. We used to have a 26BH but it became a pain in the butt parking and finding good spots in state parks due to the size of it. We now have an X18D and are going for our first trip on thursday. We are really excited and any tips on how to keep a fold out from falling apart would be great. Thanks
Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #2

Our 23B has been really good. As for the bunk end maintenance we do very little. The owner’s manual will tell you to season the tent ends. By lightly spraying the canvas with a light misting of water three times and let it dry in between sprays. When we are done camping for the weekend, before closing up I broom off the canvas. I have a broom with a head that articulates 90 degrees so it makes brooming off the bunk ends and our slide out much easier. I have only washed ours once and that was after a 19 day trip to Wyoming and Montana where it was extremely dusty, and the HTT was extremely dusty. I used just plain jane Dawn dish soap. Followed by a good rinse. Just make sure you put the trailer away dry. If you do not you will have mildew or something worse. Last year, it seemed like every trip it rained on us, and we would come home and open up the ends for a few hours while we clean out the HTT. So far we have had no issues.

One thing we did find out this summer, do not leave bedding on the mattresses when you close her up. There is not enough room, between the bathroom wall and bunk door. With only an electric mattress pad (aftermarked) we were pushing the bunk door out just enough to get a little water to pass by the seal. It was very little water, but it made us stop leaving bedding on the beds.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #3

Pop Up Gizmos are the best thing to preserve your bunk end canvas.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Pop Up Gizmos are the best thing to preserve your bunk end canvas.
But they look so ugly, plus it's 2 ,more things to pack and store......
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
But they look so ugly, plus it's 2 ,more things to pack and store......
All so true.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #6

I'll leave them off and then you can come over at the end of my camping trip and clean the bird poop and pine sap off my pretty bunk ends.:clap:

I'm a function over form guy so looks don't really bother me and I'm beyond the point where I care what other people think of me. My PUG's are especially ugly since they're home made!!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #7

I have Pop Up Gizmos that I bought and I think they look fine and the way they keep the bunks clean and cool if they were tie dye I will still use them. You're camping and camping in a Hybrid not walking down a fashion runway. I love my X18D but nobody cares much about it, most people are starring at Toy Haulers.

As for cleaning the bunk ends I have cleaned them a few times and they clean up easily. They are hidden from the sun except for the few times you camp so I wouldn't worry about them. I had an 2003 Coleman popup and the canvas on the pop outs still looked new.
gcatrambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I'll leave them off and then you can come over at the end of my camping trip and clean the bird poop and pine sap off my pretty bunk ends.:clap:

I'm a function over form guy so looks don't really bother me and I'm beyond the point where I care what other people think of me. My PUG's are especially ugly since they're home made!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcatrambone View Post
I have Pop Up Gizmos that I bought and I think they look fine and the way they keep the bunks clean and cool if they were tie dye I will still use them. You're camping and camping in a Hybrid not walking down a fashion runway. I love my X18D but nobody cares much about it, most people are starring at Toy Haulers.

As for cleaning the bunk ends I have cleaned them a few times and they clean up easily. They are hidden from the sun except for the few times you camp so I wouldn't worry about them. I had an 2003 Coleman popup and the canvas on the pop outs still looked new.
That's O.K..... You guys go ahead and use 'em!

I want my Hybrid to look puurrty!!!! Not some alien spaceship from outer space!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:

I want my Hybrid to look puurrty!!!! Not some alien spaceship from outer space!!
LOL.....I have heard that before. My brother put a picture in a picture book and referenced landing on the moon.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Where did you buy the Pop Up Gizmos? I never heard of them. I think I'd like to get them for my 17C Jayco Sport if they keep it cooler and cleaner, too.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina View Post
Where did you buy the Pop Up Gizmos? I never heard of them. I think I'd like to get them for my 17C Jayco Sport if they keep it cooler and cleaner, too.
http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

They are worth it.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
LOL.....I have heard that before. My brother put a picture in a picture book and referenced landing on the moon.
http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

Its makes a big difference on the temperature inside the tent ends when you are in the sun and also keeps the ends dark in the morning when the sun comes up. They are a little pricey but on the first hot summer day without shade and you will be glad you bought them.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #13

Quote:

You're right!! The reflective Mylar surface prevents the aliens from reading my mind while I'm asleep. During waking hours we all wear aluminum foil hats that look like giant Hershey Kisses.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

I'm with you. I clean mine with a brush on a hose.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #15

Don't wory too much.

Our first popup, we used for over 8 years.
Never closed wet, unless absolutely had too, and if we did opened as soon as we got home, if was clear, dried and let the sun dry. Tents never moulded, mildewed, At all. Only washed the tents a couple of times in 8 years, and looked at felt like new when we traded in on our Hybrid. The dealer said the second family that looked at it bought it, said looked like new, which it did. But I am thinking about the gizmos for my new hybrid 17Z, just do not want to tank a chance on punctures, etc, keeping me from camping. I have already missed the last 2 years due to car wrecks, and recovery times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeuler View Post
Hey everyone,
I am a first time owner of a hybrid and was wondering what was the best way to preserve the canvas on the fold outs. We used to have a 26BH but it became a pain in the butt parking and finding good spots in state parks due to the size of it. We now have an X18D and are going for our first trip on thursday. We are really excited and any tips on how to keep a fold out from falling apart would be great. Thanks
elc7593 is offline   Reply With Quote