Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Every one I have had go bad started going off at 3:00am. I think their programmers have a warped since of humor.
After this happening to me a few times I thought it might be lack of air movement when sleeping. I do not carry propane and no other open flames in the TT, the water heater is always electric and only turned on in the AM and off after we have dinner. Now at bed time I crack a window and open the bath fan vent slightly and not one alarm in a year and a half.
Remember this is MY TT and our style of camping , not yours.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
I'd suggest you purchase a separate Carbon Monoxide detector and place it in the TT while camping. If the factory installed alarms but the hand-held does not, you know you have a faulty detector. Better safe than sorry.
I agree and will be buying a second CO detector. BUT, I'm not sure where the line is between paranoia and due care... but here goes:

I would not be quick to bet my life, and the family's, that the handheld CO detector is the one that is correct. I would have to be VERY sure the TT unit was defective and the handheld could be trusted. Until that happened, everyone would be awake, outside, and doors and windows would be open.

Is there an easy way (CO in a can or ??) to have confidence in both detectors? Yes, some report they sometimes go off in the presence of RV antifreeze, but is that really a satisfactory test?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #23

As a certified BPI Building Analyst I am required to wear a CO monitor when I do home inspections. Here's the one I wear:

SALE - BW Honeywell GasAlert Clip Extreme CO Monitor GA24XT-M - $90.00 - PKSafety.com

It is a monitor and not just a detector. It reads CO well below the level of a standard detector so I trust it more than I trust the factory-installed detector.

I normally don't take this one when we are camping (we have a second Fire/CO detector) but I certainly would use this one if I was getting on-going alarms.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
As a certified BPI Building Analyst I am required to wear a CO monitor when I do home inspections...snip..
I normally don't take (that) one when we are camping (we have a second Fire/CO detector) ...snip..
Thanks, Ken.

Is there either a brand name of detector or a testing organization 'stamp of approval' for the detectors that we should look for or that you would/did install in your trailer?

I hadn't given this topic much thought and didn't know about the false alarms by the detectors. Now I'd like to be a little smarter and not just buy 'something' from Walmart or Amazon.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #25

Good question, Old.

The professional wearable CO monitors receive one or more certs through:

Hazardous Environment Certification:
US and Canada: C1D1, Groups A, B, C, D, T4
Europe: ATEX II 1G EEx ia IIC T4
IECEX: Ex ia IIC T4

My next one will be this one SALE - RAE Systems ToxiRAE 3 CO Gas Detector G01-0101-000 - $153.47 - PKSafety.com because it is not disposable like the other one. I would definitely trust either one of these over the factory-installed units. But as I said, I have just a back-up Fire/CO detector that I bought at Lowes.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote