Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

Collapsable table issue, or rather complaints

One annoying thing that Jayco did for 2013 is that the collapsible table now uses a heavy "scissors" type of frame instead of the lightweight folding legs. Anyone know why they went to this? Its not to support it as a bed because the feet don't even touch the floor when "in place". It also takes up space underneath where we normally stow our camp chairs. We put our table outside and on the new trailer this has become a chore. Not to mention the table wobbles on the flimsy mounts. I'm going to install some "L" brackets to give it some stability.

Anyone else hate this new table design as much as we do? Any alternatives?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #2

When the table is up and it is slightly touched it collapses I'm not sure what to do but with a family of 4 & 2 dogs this is going to be a big issue!!
coricox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with your table design.

I've had some good success using the light duty bungee ball cords to secure latch styles which don't stay locked. My method is generally to position the bungee so that it keeps the latch in position. I don't use the bungee to secure any actual load.

The ball bungees also work to keep those wooden dowel type clothes drying racks from collapsing. Again, I use the bungee to hold the latch groove tight against the dowel. The bungee is not used to take any load. On those drying racks even a plain rubber band from a celery stalk is quite effective.

The ball cord may work for you as a temporary measure to lock the latches on your table and help to prevent collapsing. A properly positioned cable tie may be another alternative. FWIW. vic

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-47302.html
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #4

I'm right there with ya Doc..... Not to mention the table in general is cumbersome and heavy to move as well. I did notice Jayco is using a new drop down base. I wonder if the scisoor type base could be swapped out for the new one?
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #5

Big G I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't even know where to get the older type legs to swap them out.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #6

A small update. I called our Jayco dealer and the parts guy knew exactly what I was talking about. Unfortunately they don't think they can get them anymore and if they can they are something like $50 each. OUCH! My next step is to get hold of Jayco and see if they will do anything for me.

Here's a link to the table legs I want: http://www.millermfgcorp.com/tablelegs.htm

Here's a video demonstration of the new style legs that are in my X20E. They look cool until you actually have to use them!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #7

Doc.... I actually have the older style legs on my X23B. The youtube link is the new style.

I thought I wanted the new style, but you're saying you don't like it??
Gerard
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

Big G, I think it might depend on how you use your table. If you just put it up and leave it inside it might be fine. Ours wobbles and looks like the welds under the mounting bars are going to break eventually and I find it cumbersome to raise and lower, not to mention its heavy and bulky to carry outside. You might stop at your Jayco dealer and look at a trailer that has this type and play around with it.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
A small update. I called our Jayco dealer and the parts guy knew exactly what I was talking about. Unfortunately they don't think they can get them anymore and if they can they are something like $50 each. OUCH! My next step is to get hold of Jayco and see if they will do anything for me.

Here's a link to the table legs I want: http://www.millermfgcorp.com/tablelegs.htm

Here's a video demonstration of the new style legs that are in my X20E. They look cool until you actually have to use them!

The u-tube type is what I have. I like it myself, I find it sturdy and simple to use. We carry a light folding table for outside use.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #10

I just picked up my X20E this past weekend and used it for 2 days. I have the same issue with the table. It's very heavy and cumbersome to move around. In 'sleeping position', the legs don't even touch the ground. It can also be used as a coffee table for the couch when in the lower position. Personally, I want to be able to stow the table away when not in use as my wife and I have two big dogs that travel with us. The floor space is more useful than the table. Since the legs don't fold in completely, the table still takes up too much space.

I'd love to find an alternative to these legs. I'd leave it behind, but if we need to turtle we'd much rather stay on this bed than the fold-out couch.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #11

I have a 2013 X23B and we have the old, folding style legs. Interesting. We ended up buying a folding table for outside to cook on and store items - got sick of hauling that thing in and out, especially if it was going to rain.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I just picked up my X20E this past weekend and used it for 2 days. I have the same issue with the table. It's very heavy and cumbersome to move around. In 'sleeping position', the legs don't even touch the ground. It can also be used as a coffee table for the couch when in the lower position. Personally, I want to be able to stow the table away when not in use as my wife and I have two big dogs that travel with us. The floor space is more useful than the table. Since the legs don't fold in completely, the table still takes up too much space.

I'd love to find an alternative to these legs. I'd leave it behind, but if we need to turtle we'd much rather stay on this bed than the fold-out couch.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Does yours wobble too? I wrote to Jayco Customer service. No joy. They don't even stock the old style legs any more. Maybe you could take a minute and lodge a complaint?

Anyway, the only place I can find the type of legs I'm looking for is from Discount RV Parts Outlet. They were very helpful and have them in stock. Hopefully I'll get them soon. (http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/product...ducts_id=11926)

Hope you enjoyed your X20E as much as we like ours. We just got back from our second long weekend with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker View Post
I have a 2013 X23B and we have the old, folding style legs. Interesting. We ended up buying a folding table for outside to cook on and store items - got sick of hauling that thing in and out, especially if it was going to rain.
They are pretty weather proof, our old trailer was 10 years old and the table still looked like new. We never take ours in until its time to go home. We also much prefer the extra floor space inside and we also don't have to carry an extra table.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Does yours wobble too? I wrote to Jayco Customer service. No joy. They don't even stock the old style legs any more. Maybe you could take a minute and lodge a complaint?

Anyway, the only place I can find the type of legs I'm looking for is from Discount RV Parts Outlet. They were very helpful and have them in stock. Hopefully I'll get them soon. (http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/product...ducts_id=11926)

Hope you enjoyed your X20E as much as we like ours. We just got back from our second long weekend with it.

They are pretty weather proof, our old trailer was 10 years old and the table still looked like new. We never take ours in until its time to go home. We also much prefer the extra floor space inside and we also don't have to carry an extra table.
Thanks, we picked it up in SLC and spent a couple of days getting back to Sedona. We really like it so far! Still outfitting it and figuring out the storage thing (No drawers???? What's that all about!!!!). Lots of trips planned already.

Please let me know if these table legs work out for you, they might be the way we go also. Our doesn't wobble or anything so at least we have that going for us. I may give Jayco a message about them too, just so they know not everyone likes them.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #14

When looking at the Jayco hybrids, the DW and me had actually decided on the X20E. But a day later, she says she really, really liked the extra kitchen counter space in the X23B...... Sooo, I called the dealer and told them we changed our mind.

Women........ Whattrya gonna do with 'em????
Gerard
Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #15

Big G, if there are two small things we don't like, its the lack of counter space, and as MonkeyClaw pointed out, no drawers. Even our old Kiwi 17A had a drawer. We rarely use the inside stove anyway so we got one of those cutting boards with the non-slip bottom to go on the range and we found some stackable metal trays to keep utensils in until we can find a better solution. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #16

That's what sold us. Gotta love the counter space.
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote