Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Command Strips - Dog questions

(In case you were wondering, I do NOT plan to "Command strip" any of the dogs!) I have two questions:

1. We have a 16xrb hybrid. The bathroom walls are textured. I am already using over-the-door storage, but I was thinking of adding a hanging shoe organizer on the wall behind the toilet for additional items. Does anyone know if command strips will work on the textured wall, or do you have something else you have used that will work? My husband would prefer we not put holes in the walls.

2. We have taken a couple of weekend trips with our English cocker spaniels. The 7 year old beast is fine in the camper on her own; the 9 month old puppy is still in crazy mode. When we leave on our two week vacation I plan to take the puppy's crate with us so she has a place to chill and sleep at night. I guess I'm wondering how others have enjoyed traveling with their dogs for an extended time. How do you deal with having a crate inside a hybrid all the time?! :-) Food, water, AC on when we're gone, TV on for company are all part of my plans--but I'm curious to know what others have done while traveling with furry children.

Thanks,
Bonnie
BonnieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Both my dogs are happy in there crates as long as they have had sufficient exercise. Having the crates around are annoying but that's the price of having dogs with us which we wouldn't trade. I put the crates in the truck box when not in use. Don't know about #1 sorry.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #3

We would never travel without our Lab, Kasey. He has always slept in a wire crate so we just take it along and put it together for him when we have set up everything else. When we are on the road, we put the crate in the back of our toad. We put the crate pad on the floor right behind our seats, and he rides along as happy as he can be.
fidalgo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

We've used command strips/hooks and they work fine. Prep the surface with alcohol pad.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #5

We too have a Command hook on slightly textured walls, and so far it's holding fine. (I use it for my tote bag - it's a 7 lb capacity.) Ours is not a hybrid, but we put the Westie's crate between the table legs. We put a wide wooden cutting board over the top, so the board rests on the tubular frame of the crate (it's a soft-side), and gives us extra serving room. We have a separate travel crate, a wire one, which we put outside when we're camped. The soft crate stays in the trailer until we get home.

The longest we've been gone is 11 days, 6 on the road and 5 in one place, and this arrangement works well for us. (We are thinking of adding a couple more Command hooks, too.)
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

HI I have a 5 month and a 3 yr old minature schnauzer...we brought the pup immediately at 9 weeks on her first 5 hour trip and continue to do a lot of trips.they usually follow the elder dog. you get to train them this is how are family rolls and they are good! she stays in ty for a short period alone just fine
vickitravelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
We've used command strips/hooks and they work fine. Prep the surface with alcohol pad.
X2, wall prep is a must, as they have a silicone coating on the walls, that prevent things from sticking well.

As for kennels, we have carried one at times. We place it so the kids have to deal with crawling over it. Dog bowls ate placed in a spot where we do not walk often, (under Friday door). After a while they figure a routine.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickitravelgirl View Post
HI I have a 5 month and a 3 yr old minature schnauzer...we brought the pup immediately at 9 weeks on her first 5 hour trip and continue to do a lot of trips.they usually follow the elder dog. you get to train them this is how are family rolls and they are good! she stays in ty for a short period alone just fine
Welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #9

We have two dogs. One has free reign of the camper when we are gone and has never been a barker so we don't worry about her. The other we don't trust so he gets put in a kennel. He also barks occasionally at home and one thing I was really worried about was him hearing noises outside our hybrid and barking at them during the day. I will not be the person to leave their dog barking all day for everyone to listen to. To see how he would do on the first trip he came with us we tested it a few times. The first time we got all packed up and left for the day with both dogs in the trailer. We stopped several sites away and parked the car at an empty site. I walked back to the trailer and poked around and made some noise. He didn't bark. We tried it the next day but it was when we were coming back from being gone for a couple hours. Same thing, no barking. I might test him once every so often just to make sure but I'm pretty confident he won't bark.
As for the crate we only set it up at night and when leaving, the rest of the time it's outside under the awning. It's a pain but there's no other choice. To save some clutter we have a water dish only in the trailer, the dogs are fed outside. They also have a separate water dish out there too. We minimize the amount of toys we bring (for both kids and dogs) due to space but we always make sure to have a new toy hidden away for everyone to break out on rainy days. No matter how bored they get kids and dogs are always eager to focus on a new toy, no matter how small, when stuck inside during a storm.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:43 AM   #10

We bought a pop-up crate (it looks a bit like a pop-up hamper sideways with a zippered door) that we pop down during the day and store behind the couch. We keep a pet bed out all the time and we put it in the crate overnight for comfort. Ours is like this:

http://ll-us-i5.wal.co/dfw/dce07b8c-...im-450x450.jpg
Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #11

I've always crated my dogs at night at home. Camping the routine is similar but sometimes includes an hour or two during the day in the crate in the RV for side trips where dogs aren't welcome. Longer side trips I'll take the crates in the back of the truck so they can run every couple hours. Camping means extra run time and extra crate time and it's never a problem.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #12

Thanks for your reply! The next trick will be getting enough exercise. Right now it's 30 minutes of playing fetch with tennis balls. Being off leash in a campground will be making this more of challenge. :-)
BonnieL is offline   Reply With Quote