Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

comparing x213 or x23b

We are a family of 4 (mom,dad,girl 7,boy3) and have had our PUP (jay sport 10) for about 4 years. Before that we were tent campers. Right now our son sleeps on the dinette but he will be outgrowing it soon. We are looking to upgrade so that each child has a more comfortable place to sleep, though we hate giving up being able to store a camper in our garage. My husband is also looking forward to a bit less set up/take down that the pop up requires.

The two models we are considering are the x23b and the x213. If we did the 23b I like that we could turtle if needed and still all have a place to sleep (though tight). I am worried that the back end bunk might not cool very well as it is behind that bathroom wall (we live in Texas and do summer camping, sometimes it's hard to cool down the pop up) The 23b is also readily available at local dealers here. I would probably invest in those solar covers.

I personally like the x213 because it has the big back bed, is all hard sided, and gives each child a wide bunk. I do wish it had the u dinette or a side slide. We looked at the x254, but it's just more than we really need and heavier than we'd like to pull.

Both of these models we would have to store about 30 minutes from our house, both units are similar in weight and price. Both units sleep about the same number of people. Both have similar tank sizes.

We enjoy actual camping, but are hoping in the coming years to be able to RV a bit more and use the camper as a "hotel" on wheels for road trips. I'm worried I might miss the tent feeling of canvas, but I also like the idea of not having to deal with it, especially since it will be harder to let it dry out after a trip since we won't store it at home.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get a little feedback. Anything else I should consider? Anyone else choose between these two?
memorris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #2

We're a family of 4 also and we looked at many different models before getting the X213. It has everything we wanted/needed.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #3

We owned an X23B for a couple of years prior to upgrading to our current 5th. We enjoyed the 23B both for its compact size while towing and big bunks while camped. With your family it sounds like you'd wind up with one of the kids on the sofa or dinette, when we had our son, DIL and G'son with us the small one wound up on the sofa.
I would recommend the PUG's to cover the bunk ends, they help during hot and cold weather. Our experience was that if we cut the A/C down (or off) during the hot part of the day it would spend quite a bit of time catching up. Closing the bunks off with the privacy curtains during the day would help with the cooling. The bride and I discovered that we preferred the rear bunk and decided that it was the "owner's cabin". It cooled fine if we left the curtain open. When shopping for the 23B I recall a slightly larger model that had 3 fold-out bunks.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Our family of four is going through this exact same comparison. We'll be doing a side by side comparison at a dealer on Saturday. I'll be following along for any advice!!
GoodOldGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #5

With 4 people I would be leaning toward the 23b for one reason over all the others, the slide out. It only moves out about a foot but makes a huge difference in the amount of available floor space. Very valuable when everyone is getting up in the morning and moving around or when getting ready for bed at night.

While our X20E is smaller than the 23B, it is the same layout. We wouldn't want to go without the slide now, and it's only 2 of us.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

I have the 23b and love it. Its amazing how much room the slideout couch provides. If its chilly, we'll leave it turtled and ya, while it is a little more cramped, it does stay super warm, normally can heat it with just a space heater. The kids and grandkids never seem cramped with the ends down, plenty of room for their own space.
Kennedy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
We owned an X23B for a couple of years prior to upgrading to our current 5th. We enjoyed the 23B both for its compact size while towing and big bunks while camped. With your family it sounds like you'd wind up with one of the kids on the sofa or dinette, when we had our son, DIL and G'son with us the small one wound up on the sofa.
I would recommend the PUG's to cover the bunk ends, they help during hot and cold weather. Our experience was that if we cut the A/C down (or off) during the hot part of the day it would spend quite a bit of time catching up. Closing the bunks off with the privacy curtains during the day would help with the cooling. The bride and I discovered that we preferred the rear bunk and decided that it was the "owner's cabin". It cooled fine if we left the curtain open. When shopping for the 23B I recall a slightly larger model that had 3 fold-out bunks.
Yes there is a similar model with three bunks, but we would be unable to turtle it with four people and I'd really like that option if we were to go hybrid. Thanks so much for all the responses.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #8

We have a 23B, it’s a great trailer, being in Minnesota we get all extremes of weather. Been out in 104 deg high humidity temps to low 24ish degree overnight temps. Works great. We are a family of 3 but commonly have an extra. The back bunk can be a bit warmer in the summer. The kid never mentions anything about it. I did adjust the fins on the AC to make sure it is aiming appropriately to both bunks. Also clean the filters regularly. I also removed the curtains on the front bunk as I found them annoying. We have the clip on fans with lights, the DW and kid both sometimes uses them. Personally I find cold weather camping more uncomfortable than hot summer nights. The AC takes the humidity out of the air so ever a couple degrees warmer it still feels nice. But cold, I get a chill to the bones. So we have aftermarket electric mattress pad heaters, they make a world of difference. We also use a 1500 watt electric heater in the cool weather, and it does a fairly decent job keeping the HTT warm. We just kick the furnace on in the mornings to bring the temp up a few degrees.

We have turtled in ours a few times. One thing I can tell you the sofa is a bit short for a taller person, so as the kids grow up it might not be as comfortable.

The slide out is great! We move the table all over the place inside the HTT. Commonly it is in front of the sofa. In that position it helps with meal prep as you have a lot more counter space.

Good Luck.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

We have a 2011 X23B. Most of the time there is just 2 or 3 adults.
Our son and daughter in-law have 5 boys (7 of them)and it works but is crowded.
One of the best features is the slide out, it makes all the difference even when it is just the wife and I. When the wife and I turtle we use a 4 inch memory foam mattress on top of the dining area bunk and that's really comfortable.TV trays in front of the couch to eat and it works great. With the ends open we also move the table around like Jagivens said.
We live in n.w. Wisconsin
Bob
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

You all are right about the slide out. It does give a feel of "roominess". But the clincher for my wife, anyways, was the extra counter-space the X23B offered.

There is one concern however. I don't know if Jayco has bigger grey water tanks in the new units or not, but with a family of 4, it could be a big deal. When we go out, especially on a long week-end our grey water tank does fill up, and there's only just the 2 of us. When you take in dish washing, showers, etc. it doesn't take long. Although I do have a portable grey water tank, it can be a chore to empty and tow it to the dump station.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

I agree on the small tanks, fresh and gray. We do use the camp gound showers when available but when boon docking it is more difficult
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #12

We have a X23B, and preferred it over the X213 because of the slide. That extra foot doesn't seem like much, but makes so much difference. Also, a nice thing about the 23B is that with the slide out pushed out a queen size air mattress fits perfectly on the floor between the couch and cupboards. We had a tornado warning last summer so I put the bunk up and pumped up the air mattress. Although not ideal, it worked out well. The extra counterspace and closet space in the 23B is so nice as well!
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #13

Another vote (if you will) for the x23b. having the hybrid with the bunks allow for more floor space within the actual trailer. Also have family of 4 with a 9 and 12 year old. So far they are fine with either sharing one bunk or the 9 yo will use the jackknife sofa. Cant say enough about the slide and huge u-dinette. The storage capacity within the trailer was also a deciding factor. We rarely use the table inside the camper so the floor space is huge without it. Also nice to unzip the bunk ends and get a breeze through. We rarely use the a/c. Only in extreme conditions and so far with the bunk end fans it has been fine. For now the x23b suits us well, but as the kids become pre/teenagers and want to bring friends along we know we will be upsizing in the future. Took us forever to make a decision, but glad we went with the x23b and has worked out very well.

2009 Jayco JayFeather x23B
2007 Ford F250 5.4L 4x4 CCSB
sbpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #14

One tip that may not work for everyone, take the dinette table outside and free up floor space. Doing this really opens up our X20E.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #15

We've got a x23 with a 10 & 8 yr old. Love it.

The slide makes a big difference inside.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #16

We are a family of 5 and we have the x213 and we love it.

The reason we went with it, is because we didn't want tent ends. I wanted the comfort of all solid walls.

I was afraid of a damp feeling inside and condensation in the mornings with the tent ends. With the hard walls, that doesn't happen.

I'm also 6'8" tall and I don't fit on the tent ends. They aren't wide enough. The king size bed on the x213 is perfect for me.

Another reason we didn't get the tent ends was because when we bought our trailer we had a 7 month old and we still had planned to have 1 more child. We wanted to be able to be outside by the fire and not have to whisper because we'd wake up the sleeping baby in the tent end. The solid walls give us some noise protection from the somewhat noisy outdoors (ie. birds chirping at 5am).

We have camped in some cold nights with our 213 and only used an electric space heater, we didn't need the furnace because it is decently insulated.

I believe that Jayco makes really good hybrids, but those are the reasons we went with the 213 over a hybrid.

I think everyone is happy with what they buy in the end. It just depends on your needs.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #17

Another thought...those that have the x23b: Do you store it outdoors/uncovered? We've always been able to store our PUP in the garage, and now we'll have to store outside so I'm worried leaks will be more prone around the seals on a hybrid.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorris01 View Post
Another thought...those that have the x23b: Do you store it outdoors/uncovered? We've always been able to store our PUP in the garage, and now we'll have to store outside so I'm worried leaks will be more prone around the seals on a hybrid.
During the summer our htt sits in the driveway. During the winter, it has a nice dry barn stall.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Ours sits outside...going through it's 2nd winter with us.

I worry more about the roof seals/seams than I do the tent ends.

There's a drip edge above the tent ends. As long as your caulk is in good shape, it's unlikely to leak in storage. I've heard of issues (especial with older HTT) while towing in a driving rain. But we've towed in the driving rain without problems on our 2011.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #20

Quote:
We store our X20E outside. We also stored our previous Kiwi 17a outside. The seals will last many years. I use a UV treatment for plastic and rubber on them twice a year. Our previous hybrid was 10 years old and the seals were still like new.

As Charles said, the roof is more prone to seals drying up than the bunk ends. And that's going to be the case no matter what type of trailer you buy. It's why the manual suggests inspecting all seals twice a year.

Tags
x213 x23b upgradefrompup