Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #21

We use an electric heater too.

As for moisture from burning propane. I'd like to see the chemical formula and deterinine how much moisture really is produced. Only the stove will put so called propane byproducts into the cab space.

I ran a propane powered torpedo heater a lot this winter in my garage. Absolutely no signs of moisture, except the snow and ice melting off the car.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Yes, I keep the zipper cracked open at the upper corner on each tent end and the kitchen window. The bathroom vent fan lid cracked about an 1" if your still having problems. I ended up buying a dehumidifier for night time use and I set it on the kitchen counter when we're ready to turn in for the night.
Great question OP! I have noticed much humidity when we wake up. Dripping off windows. We sometimes leave bathroom vent open if not running heat. After seeing Tunce's post I looked up the dehumidifiers. Saw these by the same brand that don't require batteries or electricity while camping although you need to plug them in ever several weeks. Anyone use these? Thinking would by the pair, one for each end of trailer.

New and improved Eva-dry E-333 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier TWIN PACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LVN7BM0..._Egf5wb132N5M4

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
We use an electric heater too.

As for moisture from burning propane. I'd like to see the chemical formula and deterinine how much moisture really is produced. Only the stove will put so called propane byproducts into the cab space.

I ran a propane powered torpedo heater a lot this winter in my garage. Absolutely no signs of moisture, except the snow and ice melting off the car.
Burning propane indeed puts water into the atmosphere.

The equation for combustion of propane is: C3H8 (propane) + 5O2 (oxygen) = 3CO2 (carbon dioxide) + 4H2O (water). The products are CO2 and H2O.

So for every one mole of propane burned, you get 3 moles of CO2 and 4 moles of water.

With an RV furnace, the water and CO2 is vented to the outside of the RV (and because combustion in never complete some CO - carbon monoxide too). In the case of propane combustion (RV stove burners, your torpedo heater, etc) that are not vented to the outside, those combustion by-products end up in the trailer or enclosed space.

As for the answer to your question about how much water vapor is produced from burning your torpedo heater in your garage, Propane produces 4 cubic feet of water for every cubic foot of gas burned. The following may be helpful:
http://www.thermocycler.com/Literatu...otz%201303.pdf
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #24

I have to agree with the folks questioning the propane heater causing additional moisture.

Yes, burning propane, CNG, creates water vapor.

However, in the case of the heater, none of that is being vented into the camper. It all goes out the external exhaust. The hot air is a completely separate vent circuit that does not put burner exhaust into your living quarters. Bad things could happen if it did.

The gas stove, however, yes, cooking all day can cause this to happen, since the burner is exposed to the interior air. Run your stove vent if you have one.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #25

About condensation, we are proud new owners of a 2016 23F. Spent one night in it so far in the front yard to test her out.... was high 20's overnight. Woke up with no real interior condensation issues, heater literally ran all night long.

However, when breaking down the camper, all three bunk ends were soaked under the mattress.

Definitely going to go with a maxxair vent cover and give that a shot. Makes sense. We also had all of the canvas zipped up tight all night, not knowing any better at the time, so I'm sure that didn't help
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:53 PM   #26

Ok, we are now 12 days into our "maiden voyage" with the X23F, have left windows/zippered windows open somewhat, every night. No condensation on the windows. HOWEVER! Had Marrianespina not mentioned the damp/wet mattress ends, I would not have watched for that. We have it every morning! Every morning, I roll up the bedding, fold the mattress and stand it up in the bunk, wipe the moisture off, then run the little electric heater/fan for 45 min to dry it out. What a pain! It is concentrated where there are seams on the bed "board", and only on the beds slept on that night. What a pain! When I get home, (3 more weeks), I have some hospital bedpads that I will cut and sew in a "t" shape to fit over the seams, and lay rubber side down, and see if that makes a difference. If not, at least all I have to do is yank out the pads every morning and hang them to dry, not redo the whole bed. Whose brilliant design idea was this?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation, fogged windows