Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

condensation on bunk boards

While we actually have a Starcraft, the bunk doors are made the same as Jayco.

We have noticed condensation forming between the bunk boards(doors) and the mattress, primarily where the aluminum framework is. I did not notice this on our X17Z in the spring when it was cool outside.
Has anyone else had this happen? Not really sure how to prevent this from occurring.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #2

I don't know about this, but I've been reading related threads about using Refletix, or the like. It might help with this problem. Good luck
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

Most likely this condensation is due to a lack of insulation or thermal break. My parent’s last TT had this issue along the upper perimeter of the entire TT, in cold weather.

Last year I noticed the board under the front bed was damp with condensation at the end of the camping season while prepping the HTT for winter storage. Because of that I removed the mattresses from the bunk ends and laid then on the dinette for the winter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

I have read some posts on other forums and this does seem to be a fairly common occurrence, just thought it was odd it would form between the mattress and boards. I've dealt with condensation on the tents and have that well under control. I'm guessing it formed around the supports as the aluminum would tend get cold quicker than the rest of the door. I don't know that I will worry about it to much, all it took was one paper towel to wipe it up. May just be one of those things you have to deal with on a HTT. Just have to make sure to open everything back up when we get home to make sure all is dry.

I did think about trying some reflectix between the mattress and boards, I have to get some more anyway, to make window cutouts for our third bunk. I may use the rest on one of the bunkends and see if it makes any difference.
ITBC
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

On our old popup we had condensation between the matterss and the plywood every time we went camping. With our new camper, I have not noticed it, but I'm sure it is possible. Better insulation on the hybrid doors than a pop up, but not great. The colder the weather the more likely it will happen. We have camped in temps that reached 40 deg in the night, will do so this weekend too on our last trip of the year. Going to take a look in the morning. The silver bubble wrap is one way to limit it as well as a plastic honeycomb/grooved type plastic barrier (can't remember the name), It's used on boats for the same problem.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #6

Hmm, what's weird is I did not notice this happening on our popup. I wonder if its due the difference in the mattresses, Jayco has a vinyl back to theirs(IIRC), the ones in our Starcraft are cloth. They have been coated with a water repellent though, as the condensation just beads up and doesn't soak in. I'll definitely have to try the Reflectix and see if that makes any difference.
ITBC