Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by domotang View Post
Hi! My wife and I went from a popup to the X23b last year, February. We just sold that hybrid two weeks ago for a Jay Flight 28rls.
We wanted very much to love our hybrid, but found it wasn't our style anymore. During summer, the A/C was loud due to lacking ducts, and we kept the bed ends closed due to heat. When closed up (turtled), there was no longer a view from within. And if we did keep the bed ends open, I had to cover them with a radiant barrier. Putting up 'wet' from the rain became an issue.
We tired of crawling over one another from the beds. The bathroom was too small for our likes. The awning was garbage.
We've truly appreciated our move from our hybrid to the 28rls!
We did appreciate our hybrid's kitchen and closet space! It was also great for towing, and opened up many more potential camp sites due to its small footprint.
But in the end, we struggled with making it work our 'style' of getting away.
And that's why they make both hardsided TTs as well as hybrid TTs. Different people like different things. I love our hybrid because it combines the benefits of tent camping (being able to hear nature) with the benefits of a travel trailer (AC, heat, bathroom, etc.) The fact that the bunk ends are "outside" also creates more usable space in a smaller towable package. I find that hardsided travel trailers, particularly the smaller ones, remind me of coffins. Hope you enjoy your 28rls!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure View Post
I tow with a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Classic with a 4.3 V6. Would also appreciate comments regarding whether my truck can comfortably handle the 16 xrb model.
Thanks for the help!
I used to tow an R-Pod, that was the weight as the 16xrb, with a Xterra that had factory tow. The Xterra was rated for 5000lb, but I didn't think it was enough power to tow the R-Pod, especially in the mountains. I ended up getting a full size SUV (and a larger trailer since I have the TV to tow it).

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #43

I beg to differ on the storage. My x23b has three pantries. The kitchen has 3 drawers and two base cabinets and a large overhead cab. There are also cabs over the couch and a large drawer under the dining area
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
I used to tow an R-Pod, that was the weight as the 16xrb, with a Xterra that had factory tow. The Xterra was rated for 5000lb, but I didn't think it was enough power to tow the R-Pod, especially in the mountains. I ended up getting a full size SUV (and a larger trailer since I have the TV to tow it).
What really matters is if you are comfortable with what you are hauling or not. It is 100% imperative that you are within your towing limits for sure, but within that if you are not comfortable with what you are hauling it will make for a very stressful and dangerous tow IMO. To some people, hauling at 99.9% of their towing limit is ok with them because they are happy with it. And to others that's not the case, and that is fine too. Everyone is always talking about brakes brake brakes, and while they are what i consider the most important part of the towing system, Engine HP and Torque along with gearing matter nearly as much.

For me personally i like to have vehicles that have slightly more "performance" than the job i need them to do. I bought my van knowing that i was getting one that had more Hp/TQ than a minivan really needs because i am more comfortable with it. I am not going to race it around or likely ever need that excess power, but it gives me personally some peace of mind and with my vehicle experiences over the years i feel like it also lends itself to greater reliability.

Anyways this is quite the rant, and i am sure it likely doesn't make much sense.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A View Post
Yes, but better when used with these:
Where does everyone get these fan/lights? I found them on Amazon, but wondering if there is a better place to buy. Camping World doesn't have them.
mtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:59 AM   #46

Thumbs up 16 xrb

We bought our '16 last spring and tow it with a VW Eurovan VR6.

Prior to that we had a Coleman p-up and our hybrid decision was based on keeping the "outside" feeling that the tent ends provide, but the space that a hard side offers. And, after 16 years with the p-up, I was getting tired of the up and down cranking. Coming from a p-up, we had no problem finding room in the new trailer for the supplies and equipment that we carried.

We've personalized it to fit our tastes and added some storage in the bathroom. We also modified the bench/couch so that it folds out to convert the dinette into one huge bed. This will come in handy if we encounter some serious weather or if we're just doing a quick overnighter somewhere and don't want to drop the tent ends.

Ours has the roof mounted A/C and it keeps the trailer cool. I sleep in the rear tent and we have a small fan (similar to this: http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...inStoreId=3253) to circulate the air past the bathroom.

LMK if you have any other questions.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyler View Post
Where does everyone get these fan/lights? I found them on Amazon, but wondering if there is a better place to buy. Camping World doesn't have them.

Check eBay.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
And that's why they make both hardsided TTs as well as hybrid TTs. Different people like different things. I love our hybrid because it combines the benefits of tent camping (being able to hear nature) with the benefits of a travel trailer (AC, heat, bathroom, etc.) The fact that the bunk ends are "outside" also creates more usable space in a smaller towable package. I find that hardsided travel trailers, particularly the smaller ones, remind me of coffins. Hope you enjoy your 28rls!
I can't disagree with your reply in any way. That 'tent' feel was what we wanted going from a popup to a hybrid. But the camper wasn't very comfortable in the heat for us, and unlike our popup, the view to the rear of the 23b was greatly obscured by the cabinets and bathroom. Our floors quickly developed soft spots as well, which ultimately became the deal breaker.
To subdue that 'coffin' feel of our hard side camper, we chose the 28rls, which is surrounded by windows and recliner chairs. That was a wife pleaser. And for those times we want to sleep outside, we through a small tent in the camper!
But yeah - your points are valid, especially on towability and size.
It's great to hear from those who appreciate the hybrids.
domotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #49

I loved my X17Z. Towed it with my Jeep for a couple of years. It was perfect for me, my mom and the two dogs.
Tokensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyler View Post
MY inlaws had two from when they bought there pop up, and never used them.

I believe they got them from the dealership, i have seen them for sale there several times.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #51

Surprised CW doesn't have them. They are standard on many lines of trailers. My local stealership carries them. I actually had 4 in our new to us unit; 2 appeared newer than the other two. So I set two up with warm white LEDs and two with cool white LEDs to compare. I seem to like reading with the cool white more than the warm surprisingly.

Also for an HTT these are fantastic white noise machines. We don't tend to use AC even when temps hit the 90's (and often can't because we dry camp lots), but these little babies will run any time we are inside to keep a cool breeze flowing.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #52

We are entering our fifth year with our X17z and still refer to it as "the best toy we ever bought."

If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a slightly larger one, the 19H or 23B, but that being said, I am still happy with the X17z, though sometime in the future we will upgrade to a larger one.

We stepped up from tent camping, bypassed the whole pop-up phase, and we happen to love the tent ends and the camping feel it gives us. We have had it out in all types of weather and been comfortable in all. The longest we had it out was for two weeks, and I think at it's size, that would be the longest I would want to have it out.

My only complaints have probably already been mentioned; limited storage/cargo capacity, tiny water tanks and hot water heater, single sink, single axle, lack of light in the bathroom etc. They are really minor things, but things our next camper will have to remedy.

I really love Hybrids and think they are the best of both world's in many ways. They are lightweight, easy to tow and park, feel like you are really camping, and yet have all the necessary amenities for real comfort.

We tow it with a Van, first an Astro, and now a Chevy Express with 10,000 lbs towing capacity. The Astro at 5000 lb capacity could handle it, but was really working on climbs. The Express handles it like it isn't towing anything, and we have plenty of capacity to upgrade to a larger model in the future.

Hope you enjoy your new RV, whichever one you settle on!
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #53

My wife and I bought our 16XRB last year. We'd never camped before so wanted to try it out with a relatively small TT that could be towed by our Jeep Cherokee (with Tow package it's rated to 4,500 lbs). We had a blast; we loved it and can't wait for the camping season to get going this year.

It's cosy, sure, but the tent ends mean that all the interior space is living space and it's good for the two of us. It's easy to tow, easy to set up. Our only issue so far has been the condensation in the tent ends. But, I'll be adding a vent cover and small dehumidifier (or fans) this year so I'm hopeful we won't have that problem. Also planning to buy a couple of PUGs.
Chrismc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #54

We're starting our 4th year with our 2013 X17Z and love it! We originally pulled it with a 2008 Ford Escape. It was definitely at our top end, so we traded up to an F-150, which doesn't know it's even there, but your Sierra shouldn't have any issues. These are great trailers, best of both worlds. And the addition of the fan/lights for the tent ends is really nice to circulate air. We rarely use our AC because of them. They are also handy when neighbors are a might loud. A little white fan noise can do wonders. Welcome and good luck on your choice! I think you will really enjoy your HTT whichever you choose!
AskewDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #55

Hi, we are also looking at the 16xrb. In my way of thinking, if we have to trade in the van for a truck, I would rather go the Class C route.
Halbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #56

I just got back from the Atlantic City RV show - I spent some time looking around the Rockwood Roo line of hybrids just for giggles. At least the ones I was able to see, the cargo carrying capacity on them was much higher then most of the Jayco hybrids I saw. One model was a 25' hitch to bumper rig w/ opposing slideouts and a nice kitchen island setup - over 1200 pounds of cargo capacity in her !

As much as this is a Jayco forum, I think if I went back to a hybrid I'd give the Roo line a serious look. Cargo capacity matters !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I just got back from the Atlantic City RV show - I spent some time looking around the Rockwood Roo line of hybrids just for giggles. At least the ones I was able to see, the cargo carrying capacity on them was much higher then most of the Jayco hybrids I saw. One model was a 25' hitch to bumper rig w/ opposing slideouts and a nice kitchen island setup - over 1200 pounds of cargo capacity in her !

As much as this is a Jayco forum, I think if I went back to a hybrid I'd give the Roo line a serious look. Cargo capacity matters !
That was likely a twin axle? either way the Rockwood Roo line looks really nice to me as well, and had they been available to me nearby that would of been high on my list of trailers to check out as well.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #58

Yep it was a twin.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #59

My sister has the Roo. I have the equivalent Jayco. She actually wishes she bought the Jayco. Better kitchen storage, more walk around room and cheaper
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieshome View Post
My sister has the Roo. I have the equivalent Jayco. She actually wishes she bought the Jayco. Better kitchen storage, more walk around room and cheaper
And Jayco has much better and longer bunks (I'm 6'3"). At least that's what knocked the Roo off our list.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrids 16 xrb