Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Considering a Jayco Hybrid

Hi, I am not a Jayco owner but considering a 2017 16 xrb.
I currently own a 10 ft Aliner AFrame and want to move up to something with a few more amenities.
I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have about your experiences in owning a Jayco product, especially 16 xrb owners.
I tow with a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Classic with a 4.3 V6. Would also appreciate comments regarding whether my truck can comfortably handle the 16 xrb model.
Thanks for the help!
adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #2

We owned an X23B for a couple of years and loved it. We got it to see if we wanted to trailer in our retirement years knowing an upgrade was in the plan if we enjoyed it. We did and we did. I think a hybrid is a very clever compromise between space and towed length. We love the space etc of our 5er but still fondly talk about the HTT. Our 23B is a different model but the hybrid concept is excellent.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
We owned an X23B for a couple of years and loved it. We got it to see if we wanted to trailer in our retirement years knowing an upgrade was in the plan if we enjoyed it. We did and we did. I think a hybrid is a very clever compromise between space and towed length. We love the space etc of our 5er but still fondly talk about the HTT. Our 23B is a different model but the hybrid concept is excellent.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm really liking the 16 xrb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
M&A

We love our '16 16XRB (owned for about 7 months) and have not regretted going the hybrid route. Seems to be the best of both worlds - solid shell with the "camping outdoors" feel. We travel with the two of us and two puppies. If there's anything specific you'd like to know, please ask.

Mike
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

I'm going into year #4 with my hybrid and we really like the concept of being able to expand it. What's really nice is driving an extra 16' but camping in a 21-22' with 2 bedrooms, not a bad deal is it and you can park it in any space you want. With the tent ends open your view goes on for ever in many locations.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

We had a 19" HTT and loved the fact that we could fit in many camping sites because of the size! There are even campgrounds where you can set up a small HTT where just tent camping is allowed (i.e. Disney's Ft Wilderness).
I also loved being able to hear the waves crashing when we camped by the beach.
DammitJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A View Post
We love our '16 16XRB (owned for about 7 months) and have not regretted going the hybrid route. Seems to be the best of both worlds - solid shell with the "camping outdoors" feel. We travel with the two of us and two puppies. If there's anything specific you'd like to know, please ask.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for the reply, sounds like you are enjoying the hybrid! Do you know if the 16 xrb offers a lift package? If I think of any other questions I'll let you know, thanks again! Jim

Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I'm going into year #4 with my hybrid and we really like the concept of being able to expand it. What's really nice is driving an extra 16' but camping in a 21-22' with 2 bedrooms, not a bad deal is it and you can park it in any space you want. With the tent ends open your view goes on for ever in many locations.

thanks for sharing your experience with the hybrid! It definitely helps with my decision.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
We had a 19" HTT and loved the fact that we could fit in many camping sites because of the size! There are even campgrounds where you can set up a small HTT where just tent camping is allowed (i.e. Disney's Ft Wilderness).
I also loved being able to hear the waves crashing when we camped by the beach.

hey, thanks for your comments, so what vehicle are you towing with?

Old 01-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #10

We have a 2015 16xrb and love it. Big upgrade from a pop up with much easier setup & takedown. Jayco upped the niceties on the newer versions...electric awning and bigger tanks, for instance. But that also cut down on their cargo-carrying weight. Happy with quality...only minor cosmetic issues at first. Our biggest issue is with the short queen beds...we thought queen meant actual queen. Will buy Jayco again.....looking to upgrade to a White Hawk with a Murphy bed and outdoor kitchen this summer.

Can't help with towing. We have more truck than trailer so it doesn't even know it's pulling anything.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #11

We also have a 23B and love the HTT setup. One downfall we have ran into a few times is noisy neighbors. When sleeping you do get the tent appeal for hearing the sounds around you. Especially if you are in an RV resort that has a lot of diesel pushers, who like to get going at O'Dark 30.

As for the TV, my recommendation is to contact GMC with your vin number. As long as the TV is fairly stock, they can look up the build specs and tell you what the tow capacity is, and how it is calculated. Most of the time, the tow capacity is calculated with an average size driver (I think 150-175 pounds) and a full tank of fuel. Nothing else in the vehicle or bed. More things you carry on board the lower your towing capacity.

Good Luck,

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #12

I would caution about a couple of things on the Jayco Jay Feather HTT trailers. First, the 16XRB is a single axle trailer with almost no cargo carrying weight. They list cargo at 640 lbs, but add a battery, propane, maybe some water and you have very little left over for gear. Jayco builds these small ultralights right to the line on carrying capacity.

Second, I didn't like the 7' wide models because at 6'3", I don't fit on the beds. Make sure you have a test lie down on the bunks before deciding if you are anywhere near 6' - an extra foot of trailer width makes a big difference in bunk length.

Otherwise, we find the floor plan really liveable, and really enjoy our Feather HTT. I think looking just a little further up the model line will give you a much more usable unit.

Jayco makes a couple of similar floor plan models on dual axles and full 8' width that should be well within your Sierra 1500's towing and payload capacity. At 3750 lbs, and maybe 400 lbs on the tongue loaded, I doubt the 16XRB will stress it at all. We settled on a 19H as the smallest trailer that had decent capacity and size (same floor plan as 16XRB, but more space, more width, more CCC) within our tow vehicle limits. We tow with a Traverse with the slightly larger 3.6l and it handles the 19 with no problems, and have verified that we are within all our weight limits at the CAT scales.

ETA: And WELCOME TO JOF! Realised these are your first posts here, and don't think anyone said so. Great bunch of folks here, and lots of great advice. Stick around and ask questions. For us northerners, it's all we get to do all winter to remind us of camping
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I would caution about a couple of things on the Jayco Jay Feather HTT trailers. First, the 16XRB is a single axle trailer with almost no cargo carrying weight. They list cargo at 640 lbs, but add a battery, propane, maybe some water and you have very little left over for gear. Jayco builds these small ultralights right to the line on carrying capacity.

Second, I didn't like the 7' wide models because at 6'3", I don't fit on the beds. Make sure you have a test lie down on the bunks before deciding if you are anywhere near 6' - an extra foot of trailer width makes a big difference in bunk length.

Otherwise, we find the floor plan really liveable, and really enjoy our Feather HTT. I think looking just a little further up the model line will give you a much more usable unit.

Jayco makes a couple of similar floor plan models on dual axles and full 8' width that should be well within your Sierra 1500's towing and payload capacity. At 3750 lbs, and maybe 400 lbs on the tongue loaded, I doubt the 16XRB will stress it at all. We settled on a 19H as the smallest trailer that had decent capacity and size (same floor plan as 16XRB, but more space, more width, more CCC) within our tow vehicle limits. We tow with a Traverse with the slightly larger 3.6l and it handles the 19 with no problems, and have verified that we are within all our weight limits at the CAT scales.

ETA: And WELCOME TO JOF! Realised these are your first posts here, and don't think anyone said so. Great bunch of folks here, and lots of great advice. Stick around and ask questions. For us northerners, it's all we get to do all winter to remind us of camping

thank you for the welcome and the great feedback! I'm dealing with a couple of issues regarding a decision, one is where I'll park it (have a challenging drive and yard, working on a plan) and whether my truck will be ok pulling, the idea to contact GMC is good, I'll do that since owners manuals can be vague sometimes. I might consider the 19 of i can get more info on it from Jayco. Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
We also have a 23B and love the HTT setup. One downfall we have ran into a few times is noisy neighbors. When sleeping you do get the tent appeal for hearing the sounds around you. Especially if you are in an RV resort that has a lot of diesel pushers, who like to get going at O'Dark 30.

As for the TV, my recommendation is to contact GMC with your vin number. As long as the TV is fairly stock, they can look up the build specs and tell you what the tow capacity is, and how it is calculated. Most of the time, the tow capacity is calculated with an average size driver (I think 150-175 pounds) and a full tank of fuel. Nothing else in the vehicle or bed. More things you carry on board the lower your towing capacity.

Good Luck,

hi, thank you for your feedback, the VIN number idea is good, I'll try that. Yes, have considered the noisy neighbor possibility and will give that more thought. I've dealt with it for almost 40 years so guess I'll have to think about it. Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #15

Does the ac in the xrb keep it cool with tent ends?
Also how do you like it over all
Pat19899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #16

Does the ac keep the xrb cool with the tent ends?
Pat19899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure View Post
hi, thank you for your feedback, the VIN number idea is good, I'll try that. Yes, have considered the noisy neighbor possibility and will give that more thought. I've dealt with it for almost 40 years so guess I'll have to think about it. Thanks again!
I tent camp about 20 nights a year still. I think we have only had noise issues 3-4 times in total, so it has not been a big issue for us.

I called Dodge on my TV when shopping for our htt. I am glad I did, I learned a lot about my truck from that call. I was in the phone probably 45 minutes talking over various things.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure View Post
hey, thanks for your comments, so what vehicle are you towing with?

I was towing with a 2005 Honda Odyssey. Yup, with an Equalizer WDH and very slow driving. Now we have a a 2014 Nissan NV 3500HD SL and tow a Jayco 26BH. Well, we are going on our first trip this weekend.
DammitJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #19

Adventure,

It seems like you are the right track of what fits best for you and your family. I really wanted a HTT coming from a PUP, but the wife would not have after getting several bad snow storms when we were out. It is interesting how we land on the camping that fits our needs the best. Seems like you are headed in the right direction.

As far as I can tell, that model line does not have the Baja package that puts a lift under it along with some other features. I bet there are some aftermarket axle flip kits that would provide some more elevation.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
Adventure,

It seems like you are the right track of what fits best for you and your family. I really wanted a HTT coming from a PUP, but the wife would not have after getting several bad snow storms when we were out. It is interesting how we land on the camping that fits our needs the best. Seems like you are headed in the right direction.

As far as I can tell, that model line does not have the Baja package that puts a lift under it along with some other features. I bet there are some aftermarket axle flip kits that would provide some more elevation.

hey, thanks for the feedback, I don't know if it's absolutely necessary to have the lift kit, we looked at a Starcraft Launch Extreme with a lift kit and I liked the option but the camper is slightly stripped down.

Tags
hybrids 16 xrb