Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #1

Decision time

Hello all -

Time for me to move up from my beloved pop up. I have 5 girls - oldest 2 are in college and don't camp with us anymore. We prefer to camp in state parks here in PA, NY and VT but do amble around to other areas. Often we camp dry. I have seriously considered a hardwall TT but the lack of electricity - or t least enough amperage to start the AC - at many of the sites makes for lack of AC so tenting is cooler. I also camp a good deal alone during cooler weather and the ability to turtle is highly desirable.

So I have been to shows, been to some dealers and read everything I can lay my eyes on. I like the Jaycos. Quality looks to be good. 2 yr warranty. Bunk ends with fabric in a c channel, etc. I have narrowed my choices down to the x20e and the 23b. My TV is a Toyota Sequoia so I can easily handle both units.

They have very similar layouts and I see - as others have commented - the lack of counter space but this is not a huge issue as we prepare food and bring it along. The factory weight for the 2 units I saw today only differ by 225lbs so not a big deal. But the 23b still feels quite a bit bigger to me.

By this I am not referring to the internal floor space but to the unit as driven. It just appears to be more than 3' longer. My concern is the number of smaller county and town roads - rarely unpaved - I seem to find myself on. I am looking for some of your experiences on whether this is just a problem of my own creation or something to be considered. BTW - I have driven CDL and livestock 5th wheels so part of my concern might be from the size of the rigs I drove rather than the reality of towing a hybrid.

Also any thoughts on weather the 20 or 23 will have a better resale value in a few years? The 23 seems to be a real standard in the marketplace. Do that many more folks opt for this length? Anything else I should consider? Oh yeh - I saw the list of model changes from 2011 to 2012. Any reason I should not get a 2011 if the price is right??

You all have a great and informative forum. Thanks for all of the advice you have shared in other threads.

Dan
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Mainenebula! Not being a hybrid owner I really cannot comment on the differences in the models you mentioned. But being my TT is over 30' I can say that I do not think the extra 3' will be much of a problem for you towing it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #3

Red face

We had a hard time choosing between the 23B and the 23J. A lot of things we liked about the B. 1. We liked the counter space. 2. We liked that the table was moveable 2. We sat in it with 5 adults and found the set up for visiting was great. W e could have had a couple more join us. The weight on the 23B would have been better for us as well as probably a lower price. But the 23J had the u dinette along the side instead of in front of the bed and the two larger front windows sold us on the J. Sometimes we have twinges of doubt but I think for us, we made the right choice. I don't know much about the other model you mentioned, but we do really like the B. The main difference beside the weight of the two years is that the 2011 will prob have carpet which may or may not make a difference to you. Whatever your choice, just go with your gut and you will do okay
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

Jayco 8' popup for 4 years (got small fast) Wife / 2 daughters

We chose the X20E, and we are picking it up in a couple weeks. Basically we thought is was the same as the 23 with just a little less storage. Also towing was an issue with our crossover so it made the decision easier for us. I know we are gonna love it, and you will too whatever you decide. Update us!