Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #1

Emptying the water lines after each trip?

I have a newbie question on an x17z. We just had our first trip, the trailer is back at home. At the campsite, just before leaving, I opened what I assume were the 2 low point valves (one hot, one cold water...) to empty the water lines (I have not had time to read any manual yet, but this seemed to make sense...). I just realized that I did not drain the water heater... Is draining the lines and the water heater something that you guys do after each trip?
Thanks
Feather17z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #2

I only do the low point drains when it's time to winterize. I do the water heater the last day of my camping trip.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #3

I open the low point drains when I get home. (I used to do it when I leave but had someone tell me something was smoking and it was the water draining and for some reason it was turning to steam.) but I do not drain the water heater tank.
knuts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:26 AM   #4

I never drain any water lines, blue water tank or water heater until the end of the season.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #5

Real men don't need manuals....just ask my wife. Just yanking your chain. While we haven't ventured out in this new PUP...in the past I always made it a habit to drain all the water before leaving the CG when our trip was over and headed to the house. While most potable water sources have excellent water quality (duh, otherwise they wouldn't be potable), "stuff" will grow in them when left for extended period of times. Water can grow "stale"

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #6

I drain any remaining fresh water in the tank, don't drain anything else until winterizing.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #7

I open a faucet after unhooking from water just to make sure there is no pressure in the lines. Other than that, I do not drain anything until the end of the season.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I open a faucet after unhooking from water just to make sure there is no pressure in the lines. Other than that, I do not drain anything until the end of the season.
+1
Philpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I drain any remaining fresh water in the tank, don't drain anything else until winterizing.
X2 been doing it that way since 1977.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
+1

But now I'm thinking about all that icky water from wherever I was last. It's not good enough to drink (well maybe technically) and then it sits in my pipes for a month? I'm thinking about changing my process now and draining that stuff out at the end of the trip... It only takes a few seconds to pop those low-points...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #11

I drain all water after each trip. low points and tank drains. that takes care of the water heater as well. i like fresh for the next trip.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma-n-Gpa View Post
I drain all water after each trip. low points and tank drains. that takes care of the water heater as well. i like fresh for the next trip.

Just make sure your water heater is full of water before you turn it on.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

Yep that is one of the check points on my "list" actually when i connect city water to fill, i use "city supply" till water comes out of the cold low point - close that valve and open a hot faucet - next the hot low point shows water - close that - switch to "city fill" and fill the supply tank.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather17z View Post
I have a newbie question on an x17z. We just had our first trip, the trailer is back at home. At the campsite, just before leaving, I opened what I assume were the 2 low point valves (one hot, one cold water...) to empty the water lines (I have not had time to read any manual yet, but this seemed to make sense...). I just realized that I did not drain the water heater... Is draining the lines and the water heater something that you guys do after each trip?
Thanks
I have a 17Z too. After each trip I drain the fresh water tank (one valve under the RV) and drain the hot water heater (remove plug from hot water tank). I don't drain the water lines but that would probably be a good idea too. It only takes a few minutes to add fresh water before the next trip since it's only 28.5 gallons including the hot water heater. Although the 17Z has a very limited CCC so most people only carry a small amount of water when travelling.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #15

Doesn't draining all that water at the campsite leave a big mess? Also, when draining your water heater, don't you have to physically remove the drain plug instead of just the low point drains?
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisl View Post
Doesn't draining all that water at the campsite leave a big mess? Also, when draining your water heater, don't you have to physically remove the drain plug instead of just the low point drains?
Drain it while you're at the dump station and on down the road. The bikers think its poo water coming from your rig and they won't tailgate you

Unless you've installed a petc o c k on your water heater drain you'll need a socket and a ratchet to take the plug out which is more work than what its worth...that's why I only do it once per season when I winterize.