Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #1

Extended warranties

We have an X19H on order and can't wait for it to arrive. In the meantime, we are being offered an extended warranty. Generally, I ignore those offers and have never purchased one for any product, but am wondering if the experienced Jayco buyers think it is worth looking into. Thanks.
chapter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

Whether an extended warranty (more accurately an extended service plan) is a good fit for you depends on your willingness to buy the plan (they are pricey), do you have the financial resources and DIY aptitude to go it alone with most repairs when the warranty is gone? Keep in mind many components such the AC unit, fridge, furnace may have their own warranties past the trailer manufacturer's warranty. And, do yo feel lucky that nothing of a catastrophic nature will happen to your RV?

Now that I said all that, we bought a dealer offered 7 year plan on our 2013 WhiteHawk that is quite inclusive on what is covered. RV longevity (construction quality and components) give me the Willys, so I bought the warranty. Would most do what I did? Probably not, but my decision allows me to sleep well at night and develop insomnia over more important stuff in my life.......... Totally up to you and your own comfort zone.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #3

There are a few things to consider.

What does the extended warranty cover and are there different "levels" of coverage?
When does the warranty start? If after the manufacturer warranty ends can you purchase the extended before it ends or do you need to buy now?
What is required to make a claim?
What can be cause for a claim to be denied?
What is the cost?
Can the cost be financed along with the trailer?

After reviewing those things it comes down to your perceived value for peace of mind for the term of the warranty.
Oh, and I have a tent... Somewhere around here....
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
Site Team

A recent discussion on the subject

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ended+warranty:
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

My 2 years are up this spring. I haven't and won't be purchasing the extended warranty. My only problems thus far were found and fixed soon after delivery - or so minor they aren't worth mentioning. I would set the money aside....but odds are, you wont need it.

Best wishes with the new travel trailer
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

Good info, and thanks for the link to the earlier discussion. It gives us more to investigate, including the possibility of getting an extended warranty after the initial 2-years run out. We plan to use the TT for short trips for now, but it will really be on the road a lot in 2 years when my husband joins me in retirement. From what I am picking up from people who have owned their Jaycos for more than 2 years, they are generally happy with the product's reliability. Most people who purchased an extended warranty said they did so for peace of mind, I haven't heard yet about anyone who ended up really needing it. I'll keep watching.
chapter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #7

We purchased an extended warranty with our JayFlight 29BHS the stuff that started to break was after the warranty had expired. The service contract people replaced the stuff with no issues. The inverter died, the converter died, propane regulator died, entertainment center died, brakes went out, the sewer and grey water tanks leaked, the sewer, fresh, and grey water tank sensors stopped working. I liked having the warranty in place.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

With the probles we have had with our 2011X19H we got one
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote