Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Family of 5 in x17z

I would LOVE any suggestions for how to maximize space- especially concerning the storage of clothes and sleeping bags.

I saw the front storage deck hack, and I was thinking of using that for clothes storage- maybe shorts, shirt, socks, and undies in ziplock baggies for the kids (11 yr old girl & two 9 yr old boys). I just don't know where I'd put suitcases or duffle bags.

What do you do with all the dirty shoes? I thought about hanging one of those plastic shoe storage things designed to hang over a door on the wall next to the back bed- would there be room?

Does anyone ever keep bedding/sleeping bags on the pop-out mattresses?

I'm so excited to set up the new trailer, but I'm getting a little anxiety about the lack of storage! :-)

Any ideas/hacks/websites appreciated!

Thanks!!
Alexanders2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #2

For us, each person gets a sleeping bag and a duffle bag. The sleeping bags are rolled up and stored in the shower for during travel. The earlier 17Z's have a tall shower pan, almost like a small tub, which holds the sleeping bags in place. The duffle bags get piled on the sofa during travel, then move to the bunks once the camper is set up. We got a vertical shoe cabinet from Ikea and put it near the door to hold some shoes/flip flops.
TRONES Shoe/storage cabinet - green - IKEA
Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #3

Use your TV (tow vehicle) to store items that are not being used during the day, or to store the extra clothes.

I have a truck, and the bed has a fiberglass lockable cover; makes for excellent storage of items you want to bring, but do not want to clutter the inside camper with.

I've also seen folks bring a small tent, and use that for storage.

Just be aware that all this adds to the total towing weight of your tow vehicle!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #4

When we had the PUP with very limited storage. There were only 3 of us but we had no kitchen space. We used the stackable sterlite drawers. We each had our own stackable drawer and put our clothes in it. The other ones I used for towels, paper products and dish towels. Sometimes we stacked them at the bottom of our DD bed since it was a king sized bed when we were setup otherwise the drawers traveled on the floor during the tear down.

I am not sure if the new jackknife sofa has any storage underneath the sofa. Our 2011 had available storage under the bottom. You may be able to store your ziplock bags under there.

Hope it helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #5

+1 for the tent idea.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #6

We owned an X23B which is similar and we did 5 folks a few times. Our solution was your "stuff" goes into the tent end during the day to clear out the living/eating area. At night we'd put some on counter tops or in the TV. As the "primary" occupants the bride and I tried to use a single wardrobe leaving the other for guests (the X17Z doesn't have the ward's). We made the beds with sheets/blankets and would leave them in place during travel removing when we got home or to wash while travelling. A comforter for colder weather had to be removed to fold but sheets/light blankets, no problem. We tried to avoid suitcases. You might be able to pack in a few plastic storage tubs with snap-on lids. Stack 'em in the TT while in motion and relocate to the TV or outside the door at the CG.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

LOVE the Ikea shoe cabinet idea!! And I'm really bummed our shower has the very shallow pan- I already anticipate the kids soaking the floor any time they get in there, but it's a great idea to use it for in-route storage!

Thanks so much!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks so much for all the replies!

We're taking a 3 week road trip with the trailer in the South East this summer, and I was *really* hoping to avoid moving things back and forth between TT and TV, but I've got some great ideas here... I just found an easy pop-up tent online that might be perfect for storage. We have a giant Thule topper for the Traverse, so I'm just trying to be careful with weight bc the Traverse is not exactly a work horse.

We are in Colorado and camp in the mountains most of the time, and we've got that part pretty much figured out because once you get set up, you're there for a while and can make anything work, but this road trip has me worried that we're going to get tired of moving things around so much from campground to campground...

Anyone have experience with packing up and moving frequently? our shortest stay is 2 nights, and our longest (in Panama City Beach, FL) will be a week.

Thanks everyone!!
:-)
Old 03-25-2015, 04:56 AM   #9

One other thing to remember when camping away from home for a period of time, and that's the stuff you buy when traveling; souvenirs and stuff the kids get you to buy add up quick too! You'll find this out when you pack up tp return home.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #10

To Bucko's point, when we took our old Kiwi 17a out west on a 2 week trip with 3 adults, we stopped at UPS stores twice and shipped our vacation purchases home because of the lack of room in the trailer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #11

An earlier comment mentioned J steel sofa. Perhaps your's is similar to our 23b unit. You mentioned shoe stowage.

When we replaced the vinyl floor in our main area I removed the fancy padded panel on the front of the sofa during installation for access. I didn't replace it right away. We found that it provides a great place to stick our shoes. That panel will never be re-installed while we own the trailer.

We rarely have hanging clothes. I've been using the huge carabiner (sp?) clips (often on sale at Harbor Freight) to hang our backpacks on the unused hanging rods. It keeps the backpacks high so the storage area underneath can be used for other things.

We also hung a canvas shoe holder in the small hallway. We use that to hold many things, not just shoes.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #12

We hung a canvas shoe holder on the inside of the bathroom door. It's been super handy for storing toiletries, sun screen, sun glasses, band aids, anything that you want easy access to. It has about 25 deep pockets and nothing falls out. I cut out two of the pockets to allow better access to the inside door handle.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

I'm not sure this would fit behind the bathroom door, but it looks like it would add alot of valuable storage, if it did. (instead of the shoe holders)

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...68be06b.v2.jpg
j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexanders2000 View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies!

We're taking a 3 week road trip with the trailer in the South East this summer, and I was *really* hoping to avoid moving things back and forth between TT and TV, but I've got some great ideas here... I just found an easy pop-up tent online that might be perfect for storage. We have a giant Thule topper for the Traverse, so I'm just trying to be careful with weight bc the Traverse is not exactly a work horse.

We are in Colorado and camp in the mountains most of the time, and we've got that part pretty much figured out because once you get set up, you're there for a while and can make anything work, but this road trip has me worried that we're going to get tired of moving things around so much from campground to campground...

Anyone have experience with packing up and moving frequently? our shortest stay is 2 nights, and our longest (in Panama City Beach, FL) will be a week.

Thanks everyone!!
:-)
If you are at all concerned about your weights visit a CAT Scale.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #15

Smile Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the good info!! :-)

We actually ended up buying an older suburban and bigger trailer- 267bhsw. Our road trip was AWESOME! So glad we got the bigger trailer because it truly felt like home, and we didn't have to worry about moving things around when we loaded up.

However, I really appreciate all the great tips! I'm able to use most of the tips in our 267- I just love this forum!

Happy camping!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #16

Two of our three children "moved out" in the past few years for college. We decided to way downsize and get a 17Z because it would be my wife & I with our son sleeping in a tent. The girls would never be around to go camping.

And then the girls were around to go camping.

And our son decided not to tent.

And we have a dog.

My wife and I have always gotten the front bunk in our hybrids. Our girls shared the rear bunk (sometimes with the dog) and our son tried to sleep on the short sofa with his legs hanging off.

We did a number of trips like this. Last summer was dry, we had a drought up in the Northeast, except when we were camping will all five of us. Then the heaven opened up and we got to enjoy quality time in a cramped space.

It's tight, but doable.
Gsansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #17

Vacuum storage bags for clothes and sleeping bags. I had a tiny shop vac that worked well with these. BUT you still need to remember WEIGHT..
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Quali...rage+bag+jumbo
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #18

The "shoe holder has really worked for us in finding storage in our X17z: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...age-26054.html

I'm a proponent, even after a couple years of using it. We added hooks on the wall inside the door also, for coats and dog leashes/shoes etc.
AskewDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #19

With three kids in a medium popup we packed for one weeks cloths and stopped at a laundromat, filled several machines at once and then went on our way. As the kids got older they helped fold and store clean cloths.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas, storage