Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Oshkosh
Posts: 8
Few X19H/General questions

I am all about finding answers out myself so if I could get a hand w/ some reference materials that I can go over, I'd be very grateful.

Here is the list of things I am trying to discover.

1. "FJ" is too small a word and "Cruiser" is too common so it is very difficult to search this site for info specific to FJ Cruisers. I have tried "FJ site:jaycoowners.com" but have had limited success with results.

2. I am looking for a trip planning forum. Now that we have a travel trailer, the wife wants to take the thing from our home in Oshkosh, Wi to Disney. That sounds like a hell of a trip to me.

3. I am trying to figure out how things 'operate' so I can plan appropriately. For ex: I have a fridge now, but it obviously has to be running to keep things cool. Does that mean it runs off of 12v from the car or must it be plugged in? If so, do I still need to bring food in a cooler, etc. etc.

4. I have requested that the dealer ensure that I am completely set up with all the appropriate safety equipment, etc. before I leave. This is supposed to include sway control, etc. so that I'm good and proper. The dealer has also promised to provide the necessary knowledge transfer before I depart so I can do so safely. At the same time, I'd also like to self educate so if there is any 'need to know' information/tribal knowledge... I'd like to find it. Recommendations welcome.

5. The wife doesn't have much in the way of experience dealing with driving the trailer but there will be times that it may simply come to pass that she will have to do it.
What is the best way to prepare her (knowledge and skill) for managing the trailer. I can't simply because I don't know... Blind leading the blind and all that. She will be present for the RV delivery.

6. I will be installing the brake controller myself. I have no idea if this is a good one but it was on amazon and the reviews seemed OK. The model is a Tekonsha 90195 P3. Is there a better unit that I should consider or will this one do just fine? There isn't wiring in the truck for a controller so I have to put it in. I already have 5 pin so adding in battery and a controller wire should be cake.

7. Has anyone ever put a camera on the back of the RV so they could see the traffic behind them? This seems like it would be a nice thing to have but I haven't seen any ready to use systems... I am thinking for now it would have to be gopro wireless and a dash mounted tablet. Has anyone done this before? I will also check out the do it yourself forum.
__________________

Inglysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southwest VA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglysh View Post

7. Has anyone ever put a camera on the back of the RV so they could see the traffic behind them? This seems like it would be a nice thing to have but I haven't seen any ready to use systems... I am thinking for now it would have to be gopro wireless and a dash mounted tablet. Has anyone done this before? I will also check out the do it yourself forum.

I've been considering this... Rampage Products 7710 Black/Silver Medium Portable Wi-Fi Backup Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QHZV7IQ..._.f37wbPE9Y950
__________________

gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglysh View Post
I am all about finding answers out myself so if I could get a hand w/ some reference materials that I can go over, I'd be very grateful.

Here is the list of things I am trying to discover.

2. I am looking for a trip planning forum. Now that we have a travel trailer, the wife wants to take the thing from our home in Oshkosh, Wi to Disney. That sounds like a hell of a trip to me.
We've always just done our own research. You can find boatloads of info just doing Google searches. We use RV Park Reviews to search out decent places to stay, and post our own reviews. My wife will go to various state and chamber of commerce web sites to request tourist literature. We tend to go to areas with national parks, state parks, and similar. You can usually find good hiking guides on Amazon or B&N.

I will say this, get a bunch of trips under your belt before attempting a long drive. Towing on a 3 hour trip in the flats of WI is a far different thing than a 1200 mile trip though mountains.

Quote:

4. I have requested that the dealer ensure that I am completely set up with all the appropriate safety equipment, etc. before I leave. This is supposed to include sway control, etc. so that I'm good and proper. The dealer has also promised to provide the necessary knowledge transfer before I depart so I can do so safely. At the same time, I'd also like to self educate so if there is any 'need to know' information/tribal knowledge... I'd like to find it. Recommendations welcome.
Take notes or record the entire PDI. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Take a short weekend trip shortly after you take delivery, somewhere close to home and play with everything so you get used to it. Calumet County Park is a great place and close to where you live.

Quote:
5. The wife doesn't have much in the way of experience dealing with driving the trailer but there will be times that it may simply come to pass that she will have to do it.
What is the best way to prepare her (knowledge and skill) for managing the trailer. I can't simply because I don't know... Blind leading the blind and all that. She will be present for the RV delivery.
Take it to a big empty lot and practice. You'll both need to do this, especially to learn how to back up also, that's stuff the dealer won't teach you. My wife won't drive when towing.

Quote:
6. I will be installing the brake controller myself. I have no idea if this is a good one but it was on amazon and the reviews seemed OK. The model is a Tekonsha 90195 P3. Is there a better unit that I should consider or will this one do just fine? There isn't wiring in the truck for a controller so I have to put it in. I already have 5 pin so adding in battery and a controller wire should be cake.
If you're handy this is easy but putzy. For the money there is nothing better than a P3.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Aurora CO
Posts: 2,336
3). Most RV refrigerators run on propane/ 12vdc and/ or shore power. They usually have a select switch. Set it to ' Auto' and it will do its thing. They take a while to cool down, but once they are cold, you will be in good shape.

That said, I do carry a cooler with beer and ice.

5) Learning to drive with a trailer, especially backing up, just takes practice ( and an empty parking lot somewhere )My wife insists on being able to do the entire process; from hooking up to towing in case she has to manage the process in the event of an emergency.
__________________
Jim & Kim from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglysh View Post
I am all about finding answers out myself so if I could get a hand w/ some reference materials that I can go over, I'd be very grateful.

Here is the list of things I am trying to discover.

1. "FJ" is too small a word and "Cruiser" is too common so it is very difficult to search this site for info specific to FJ Cruisers. I have tried "FJ site:jaycoowners.com" but have had limited success with results.
There's nothing special about Jayco + FJ Cruisers. For FJ specifc towing tips, try looking here: Trailers and Towing Tech - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglysh View Post
2. I am looking for a trip planning forum. Now that we have a travel trailer, the wife wants to take the thing from our home in Oshkosh, Wi to Disney. That sounds like a hell of a trip to me.
That's at least a two day trip assuming 10+hrs of driving a day; which is really pushing it. 8hrs of driving usually turns into 10 or 12 if you have kids. I'd plan on taking at least 3 days for that trip.

But start small!
30min away..
1hr away
2hr away
4hr away
8hr away

Now you'll have some experience to consider such a trip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglysh View Post
3. I am trying to figure out how things 'operate' so I can plan appropriately. For ex: I have a fridge now, but it obviously has to be running to keep things cool. Does that mean it runs off of 12v from the car or must it be plugged in? If so, do I still need to bring food in a cooler, etc. etc.
The fridge will run on shore power or 12v + propane. As sombody else mentioned there's an "AUTO" setting where it will switch back and forth automatically. Make sure you check periodically that it's running. I sometimes have to turn mine off and back to auto for it to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglysh View Post
4. I have requested that the dealer ensure that I am completely set up with all the appropriate safety equipment, etc. before I leave. This is supposed to include sway control, etc. so that I'm good and proper. The dealer has also promised to provide the necessary knowledge transfer before I depart so I can do so safely. At the same time, I'd also like to self educate so if there is any 'need to know' information/tribal knowledge... I'd like to find it. Recommendations welcome.
THE DEALER CAN NOT POSSIBLY SET THINGS UP FOR YOU!
He can guess, might be a good guess or might be a bad one. The only way to properly set up a weight distributing hitch is with the camper and tow vehicle fully loaded for camping. Start here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...wdhs-3873.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglysh View Post
5. The wife doesn't have much in the way of experience dealing with driving the trailer but there will be times that it may simply come to pass that she will have to do it.
What is the best way to prepare her (knowledge and skill) for managing the trailer. I can't simply because I don't know... Blind leading the blind and all that. She will be present for the RV delivery.
Practice! Practice! Practice!
Both of you. Starting in an empty lot. Continuing during your first small trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglysh View Post
6. I will be installing the brake controller myself. I have no idea if this is a good one but it was on amazon and the reviews seemed OK. The model is a Tekonsha 90195 P3. Is there a better unit that I should consider or will this one do just fine? There isn't wiring in the truck for a controller so I have to put it in. I already have 5 pin so adding in battery and a controller wire should be cake.
Great choice. You probably don't need to add any wires. Most trucks & SUV's come prewired. Check out the FJ forum linked to above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglysh View Post
7. Has anyone ever put a camera on the back of the RV so they could see the traffic behind them? This seems like it would be a nice thing to have but I haven't seen any ready to use systems... I am thinking for now it would have to be gopro wireless and a dash mounted tablet. Has anyone done this before? I will also check out the do it yourself forum.
I've considered it. Haven't done it yet. Another useful piece of safety equipment would be a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) for the trailer tires.
__________________
Charles in Cincinnati, OH.
2006 Honda Ridgeline
2011 Jayco x23B
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 27
Long trip

Did you do your 'Disney' trip yet? My wife, kids and I just returned from a 2,400 mile trip from Michigan to Arizona. We purchased our Jayco X19H in Michigan. I'm towing with my 2007 FJ Cruiser.
I have an Equalizer 'E2' W/D hitch and Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller. I bought suction cup towing mirrors (attach to the FJ mirror) that worked very well.
We didn't carry any water (clean,grey or black) while towing as I wanted to keep weight down. I only filled 1 out of the 2 propane tanks. I am considering placing the spare tire on the back bumper (out from under the hitch) again to trim tongue weight. We stayed at RV parks for the hook ups on the way home.
That all said, I found the FJ performed best in 4th gear (gas mileage improved too). Western states have some serious hills with 6% downgrades that go on for miles. Just keep your FJ in 4th or 3rd gear if needed on those downgrades and it will do fine. I had no overheating issues.
The X19H is a great trailer but is near the FJ's limit.
__________________

__________________
Tucson, Arizona
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2016 Jayco X19H
JaycoNArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.