Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

First trip in the X19H...condensation issues

Camped Friday & Saturday night in the new camper.Friday night was warm, but not hot. We had the AC fan running, but not the AC. Saturday it rained most of the day. Cleared up around 4:30, then started to rain again about 9:30. Rained til about 11:00 then stopped for the night. Camper was closed up all night except for the roof vent in the bathroom. It was open (have the MaxxAir cover on it). It was kind of chilly Saturday night, but we never turned the heater on. It was 3 of us plus the dog. One side note, the little woman did boil some water on the stove Saturday evening. We never ran the hood exhaust, nor did we run the vent fan in the bathroom.
Packing up this morning there was water droplets under the mattress on both bunk ends. Where the water was at would have been next to impossible to be a leak without dripping on us or getting the tops of the mattress wet.
I have done some reading this morning and this seems to be a common problem. Will most likely try running the bath fan and maybe the exhaust in the range hood next time. I have seen pop up gizmos suggested and also reflectix in the windows. I don't want to do the reflectix in the windows. I like to have the windows unzipped a little when ever we can. May try the gizmos. Have read about mixed results placing something under the mattress. Most all have said the common denominator is the fabric mattress on both sides, which mine is. People with vinyl bottoms on the mattress doesn't seem to have the problem.
Sorry to be so long winded, but any other suggestions other than what I have mentioned?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #2

We had a hybrid and struggled with that for the 4 years we owned it. You are exactly right about the mattress type. My brother in law had a hybrid with heated mattresses that had vinyl on the bottom and he never had the issue. I tried all the suggestions on here, pugs, reflectix, windows open. It is the fabric mattress that is the issue. Only cure is to replace them with new ones with vinyl. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you have done enough research already to know what the reality is. I can't believe that the manufactures keep producing these trailers knowing full well that this condensation issue is a big deal. Good luck. In the end we use to put one of those new thin cotton type emergency blankets under the mattress and it would absorb most of the moisture and then we could just hang it out to dry during the day, put it back under again at night.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #3

I have a neighbor that does upholstery, wonder if he could add a vinyl bottom???? Might save me a a few bucks.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

I thought about that....bought a new trailer before I got around to doing it. I will almost guarantee it will work, and it will make the mattresses last longer.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

My 2010 17Z has matresses with a vinyl bottom side. Just leave the tent ends unzipped a little and we haven't had any problem with condensation, even in rainy humid weather.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #6

We travel with a dehumidifier in cool weather ( nights around 40-50 deg.) and by morning we have from 1/4 to 1/2 cup water. The canvas ends are dry but the sides of the mattress are still damp to wet.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #7

I have read several people reporting success by using a waterproof mattress cover The type that covers the entire mattress like a pillow case
Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #8

Glad to hear you had a good first trip. We have had condensation a few times. General we have eliminated condensation. We Crack open one side window on each bunk. We put the zippers up in the high point. Then unzip a few inches in both directions. We also open the bathroom vent about 1/2" inch.

As for condensation under the mattress we have experienced that twice, and not sure why.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #9

Picked up some $14 vinyl mattress covers that slip over the mattress like a pillow case and zips closed. No condensation this weekend with a few chilly nights in the low 40's!
Hopefully this has solved that issue.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #10

Glad that seems to have worked for you Howie. I would say if you had some nights in the low 40's you have it beat. I wished I would have thought of that when we had our hybrid, the wet mattress really was a big bone of contention for us.