Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Flood

Well, much to our dismay when we opened our camper this Friday it was flooded with 3 in. of standing water that was flowing from the shower....the water was off at the campground when we left and apparently one of the faucets got left on and when the water came back on & the grey tank filled up......well you know what happened.....needless to say where we have our camper in a seasonal spot its well water so whatever rust buildup was in the grey tank is now all over everything..........we called our ins. Sat. morn to make the claim....my question is does anyone have any ideas on how to dry things out (carpet espicially)? we dont know what the ins. will say and if we have to keep the camper we are worried about mold and structure damage...........any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

2006 GMC Sierra 2500 (gas)
2011 Jayco 23j
elstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #2

Wow that sucks. I use a steam cleaner to clean up spills and clean my carpets. Works well but will require a lot of dumping with your situation. The upside is that it will clean as it works. You would be best suited with heat and fans to get the camper up above a steady 90 degrees for a few day or up to a week and bake it dry. Fans will circualte the air.

Where you biggest issue could be is in the warping that is is going to take place with the wood. The cabinets and trim will not show it immediately, but over a time is when it will start to show.

Good Luck, hope it all works out.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #3

Bummer for sure. Yea, wood warping, doors swelling, any electrical should be a concern, along with mold and the smell over time. I'd see if the insurance would consider it totaled?
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #4

I had the exact mishap with my 94 22BH. I know the surprise of opening up the door and be flooded by the water coming out. I used a shop vac for the furnace vents and the floor. TONS of towels for the cabinets and about 5 space heaters to dry it out. My floor kind of got mushy in a few spots but not that big of a deal. We kept it another 3 years before we went to a bigger unit. Never developed any mold or mildew. Good luck as it took HOURS (and a lot of swearing) to get it dried out.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #5

Watch for wood warp, mold smells, push insurance.....
Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #6

Update on the flood....we took our camper to a place in Elkhart in Oct. when the season was over and finally Dec. 13th they got the estimate in to our ins. co and they are going to pay to have it fixed!....yay, I'm glad it's fixable and it's estimated to take about 5 days to repair, they said no damage to the floor so thats a plus, cant wait to get her back at the campground where she belongs and awaiting the next camping season, I have the pics I took when everything was still wet so I will be comparing with the fixed product to make sure its all done right.........

2006 GMC Sierra (gas)
2011 Jayco 23j
elstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

Glad to hear you're getting things taken care of. Hope all goes well.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote