Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Framing locations

Does anybody know the locations of the aluminum framing inside the "vacuum laminated" rear wall of a 23B? I am installing a shore power inlet and was considering drilling a new 2.75" hole near the center of the rear wall near the bottom. I would then possibly get another sewer pipe holder or some small access door from the local trailer surplus store and utilize the existing cavity where the cord used to get wadded up in.

I tried to use my woodworking metal detector (similar to the airport wand style) to find the metal but it was inconsistant. My Zircon Stud Sensor also was not repeatable.

I just dont want to blindly try to guess where one might be and go crazy with a big hole saw.

We have a top of the line Greenlee stud finder at work that supposedly will find wood, metal, energized and de-energized wires inside a wall...I'll borrow it tomorrow and give it a try but thought I'd throw the question out there in case one of you knew the locations off the top of your head.

Maybe I will have to take a factory tour and show up with my tape measure!!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #2

If you go to Jayco.com and use the contact link - they will usually send you a blueprint of the wall if you ask them. They are pretty good about sending that kind of info, of course they will tell you they dont recommend you doing any mods.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:47 AM   #3

Great idea! I'll give it a try and see what I come up with.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #4

Update: Called the folks at Jayco and they e-mailed me a print of the rear bunk wall for my 23B and I did the shore power install. See mod section.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #5

Hi

Any chance you could post the framing pic?.....Our Trailers are the same and the info would most likely help me and others.... 23B is a great unit.

Thanks
Les
Yamaha Inverter Gen.
Red Truck Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Truck Rider View Post
Hi

Any chance you could post the framing pic?.....Our Trailers are the same and the info would most likely help me and others.... 23B is a great unit.

Thanks
Les
Not to be a jerk or anything, I'm not going to dissemenate their engineering prints. If I did, it may be enough for them to stop helping us in that way. Please call their toll free number then push option 2 then option 3 and you will be talking to a tech service rep who can get you the information you need.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #7

One thing I noticed on an exceptionally cool morning was that the dew didn't form around where the framing on the walls was on my camper. It was very apparent looking at the camper that morning where everything was. That might not work if you don't have the hideously high humidity we've had around here.

Stud finder? The framing is aluminum and the core is styrofoam with fiberglass... seems like you should be able to locate it using one of those.
geoffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #8

You are correct geoffdaddy, I noticed this condition one steamy morning. It is the same as on my house and shop building. When it frosts you can see where every stud is.

I used a combination of the Jayco print, Greenlee stud finder, and the dew method to locate the framing members.