Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #1

Front bed replacement

We have a 2006 Jayflight 23B. We have had repeated problems with the front bed leaking and it is to the point that it needs to be replaced. Does anyone have information they might share with us about do-it-yourself replacements or how to keep the problem from repeating itself?
mpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

My buddy did a replacement on at Flagstaff Shamrock hybrid. His front bunk was bad, so he made his own. He used the original as a template and, if I recall correctly, regular plywood with all the original hardware. He then used plastic wall board on top of the plywood (facing the exterior). He caulked it up, it worked well and it didn't look bad at all. It just didn't have the Shamrock Logo on it anymore.

He also bought a new seal kit. I am not sure where he got it, but I believe he did searches online to find the correct seal geometry.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

Thank you

Thanks for the information. We may think about that. We love the camper and thought about trading it in for a complete hard side travel trailer, but after looking around, we really want to keep what we have. We can have the dealership do the work, but are hoping to find a cheaper outlet.
mpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuckett View Post
We have a 2006 Jayflight 23B. We have had repeated problems with the front bed leaking and it is to the point that it needs to be replaced. Does anyone have information they might share with us about do-it-yourself replacements or how to keep the problem from repeating itself?
Our 2011 X23B developed a leak in the front bed a couple of years ago. We were in very heavy thunderstorms in Amarillo with the north wind hammering right at us. Water started dripping from the hole where the tent support rod goes up and water ran down on to the rod and then dripped from its low point. We caught water in a bowl on the edge of the bed and did not have any more problems for a good while. However, a couple of weeks ago, in Hot Springs, during an average rainfall the problem returned. If you find an answer, I'd like to hear about it. However, a worse problem comes from a leak in our back door. This happens when the camper is closed up. Water comes in from the top of the door and fills the tent like a water balloon and eventually seeps through to the bed area. I have to drive to the storage lot and 'drain' the camper after every rain. Still waiting on Jayco and local dealer to come up with a fix. Replacing the seal did not do the trick.
CRMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #5

I just recently traded in my X23B and had the same issues...What I have found is that it is not enough to just close the clasps, you should also lock the locks on the handles(less vibration), going down the road. Also the little white pads on the handle/lock clasps need to be kept in place. They seem to have the glue dry up and fall off rather quickly. Make sure they are there and glued in place because without them there is a void and the handle vibrates going down the road causing the seal to vibrate as well allowing water to seep in.I hope that makes sense its a little tough to explain, if I had the Hybrid still I would take pics... good luck!!
Jayco1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

I think a little clarity is needed, are we talking about a leak when the bed is closed, or when opened up for camping?

If closed, the one thing I can think of is a worn seal. I treat mine twice a year with Turtlewax F21. Never had a problem with the seals on my previous hybrid which we owned for 10 years.

Another thought is the bed clamps. I'm assuming this has the type where you have to turn a knob to secure the door. My '03 had this type. You can clamp them down too hard and squish the seal causing a leak. It's hard to resist really cranking down on them.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #7

The newer hybrids have a locking handle system kid of like a freight container not a screw down type like the older models, So I agree with Doc, not knowing which kind you have makes it a little bit more difficult to troubleshoot...mine was a 2011!!!
Jayco1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #8

It was not the seal on mine where the water was coming in but at the rain gutter that's above the door. Some of the screws were crooked and their metal to metal so I removed them all and added a small rubber washer and it never leaked again and it's been almost 2 years.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

My 23B is a 2011 model so it has the 'freight container' type handles (rather than screw down) but the newer models have modified the handles a bit different. Locking (as Jayco 1101) suggested seems like a reasonable idea along with the little white pads. I think mine have come off; will double check. I also appreciate DocBrown's suggestion about the Turtle Wax on the seals. My main concern is the shear volume of water that comes into the back when it is closed up in storage. Duct tape and plastic don't do the trick. I have to have a tarp over the whole back end to keep the water out.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

Have you inspected the roof. The caulking can (will) dry out and crack which allows water in.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:22 AM   #11

Had the roof inspected\sealed about a year ago. The water is coming in at the top of the door for sure. Replacing the seal may have helped some, but did not fix the problem. We're in conversations with the dealer and Jayco. Hoping they can come up with a solution.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:30 AM   #12

A couple of the screws in our rain gutter had to be replaced\resealed a little over a year ago. But this issue is with the door itself. Literally gallons of water accumulate in a short time; whether it's a Houston thunderstorm or a Bellingham shower.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #13

Bunk end bed 2011 X17C

i just bought from private seller a 2011 jayco jayfeather sport x17c and when i got it home i pulled up the velcro under the matteress and noticed the bed is soaked and rotted....excellent.... SOOO, i have several calls out to get quotes to replace the bed. What is amazing to me is how little information there is and how little help an RV place is in regards to getting a price for the part and install. everyone wants to diagnose. So frustrating. IN the meantime, today i put some new rubber pads on the bed locks (got rid of the spongy pads that had worn down or off) and then added additional weather stripping to the front bunk. so its orginal black seal commpressed on top of weather stripping. Additionally, I plan to engineer a way to add a "flap" made of eternabond and flexible rubber 4 inch base to keep the rain from ever getting into the seal area. all i have read, that seems to be the issue. If you can create a flap that allows the bed to pull down unobstructed - but also allows you to fold it back up without too much struggle, might be a solution. I guess the silly question is why, when there are RV's on the market that have straight up and down front end profiles, do all hybrids have an angled front end that just lends itself to leaks....No idea. if i am able to get a price for the bed and install i can share and also if i manage to engineer a flap i will share pics. Essentially the key seems to be keep your unit covered at all times to ensure when its not on the road, no rain can enter. The issue of driving while its raining could be solved with a "flap"...stay tuned.
BigOBaja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23b bed repair, 23b front bunk leak